New font settings are horrible

Agreed. The new font has many problems, the biggest of which is that the font hinting results in text looking “bolder” or “heavier” than it did before, and there no longer being a distinct, easy-to-notice difference between bold and non-bold text – the character selection screen demonstrates this quite clearly. The hinting parameters are part of the font itself.

The UI Scaling setting plays a large role in this as well, but I’ve tried several combinations of font size (Small/Medium/Large) and UI Scaling percentage (100/110/120%) to try and find something that looks tolerable and none do. I used to use UI Scaling 110% and Medium font size, on a 27" 2560x1440 monitor.

EVE historically used what’s commonly referred to as a “bitmap font” or “pixel font”, which does not dynamically scale particularly well, but we’ve all come to appreciate its per-pixel precision and sharpness. Older EVE players might remember the original EVE font, so players have been through this nonsense before. It’s a highly subjective topic for for a lot of people, ex. some people happen to really like the new font/renderer.

I don’t know what technical problem CCP was trying to solve with this font renderer change. If the issue was that they wanted to move away from a bitmap font and to a vector-based TTF/OTF font, then that’s OK: you can still accomplish bitmap or pixel-precise results in a TTF/OTF (look up ucs-fonts ttf sometime), but it takes a lot of effort on the part of whoever maintains the font, since the hinting has to be done perfectly to retain “pixel precision”, and not ending up with weight/aliasing problems.

3 Likes