New Gurista NPC (high DPS) attacking anyone in high sec

I dunno, does this mean the security rating of a system means nothing now? What’s the point of it now if concord seems to just get paid off by pirates who can shoot you? May as well just turn the entire game into null sec and let players blow up Jita station if you are going to start throwing the rules out the window.

3 Likes

Yes you can, they are NPC’s shooting them does not affect your Security Rating.

They are shown as white or blue because of your personal standings to their corporation. You will either be neutral (so they are white) or you have maybe shot the odd one in a mission and you have a high diplomacy skill level (thus turning a slight negative into a positive).

The only standings changes you will get by shooting these is to their corporation, if you shoot enough of them they will eventually turn red.

Personally I don’t think the Diplomacy skill should apply to pirate’s I am sure that is what the Criminal Connections skill is for but :psyccp:

1 Like

CONCORD only polices interaction between capsuleers, not the NPCs in the universe. That is why they don’t show up to save you from belt rats or help you with missions.

These guys might be a little more powerful and unpredictable than what some are used to, but NPCs that shoot you are nothing new in New Eden. It’s suppose to be a dangerous place and while power creep might have made the original NPC pirates inconsequential in recent years, the basic idea that nowhere is safe is a core one. It’s one that CCP may have let languish for a while, but now that they have suitable AI tech, they are upgrading the pirates to be more of a match for the capsuleers.

It’s great to see that they are exploded undefended player structures, and inattentive players as well. This game needs more entropy and loss to stimulate an overproducing economy.

Concord showed up in the tutorial mission to kill a pirate. If they aren’t the space police, who is? How come pirates haven’t just taken all of NPC space if they are free to fly around high sec?

1 Like

In the lore, CONCORD appeared after the creation of capsuleer technology and sort of function as a neutral mediator to help the empires get along and keep us capsuleers in check. Each empire has their own police force, the Faction Police, and navy, the Faction Navy which protect their space. They are the space police. They also routinely hire capsuleers like us to help keep their territory free of pirates and the other Empires.

CONCORD will pay bounties to capsuleers who destroy mere human pirates, but will only get directly involved with capsuleer-on-capsuleer violence in high security space.

New Eden is like the Wild West. There are agents of the law in places and an effort is being made by the powers that be to keep order, but nowhere is perfectly safe and it usually is up to you to make your own justice.

1 Like

So what do they drop. It’s not on Reddit either.

Its been all over reddit. The rats drop nothing. Its the FoB that drops the goodies.

1 Like

Oh I was looking for a loot table or something on just the little guys, never clicked the fob stuff cause I’ll never do one.

Thank you.

1 Like

Blood raiders attacked a citadel of ours in hi-sec lastnight and were doing just enough burst damage to pause the timer for 1-2 seconds and cause the fortizar to enter a 15 min repair timer.
I launched fighters to see how they’d respond and they almost immediately warped to a ping then warped right on top of the fighters and concentrated on locking down and murdering a wing.

Once I killed them all no further blood raiders appeared and the fort completed it’s vulnerability unmolested.

2 Likes

CCP has repeatedly stated that Concord is not there to prevent hostilities, but to punish those committing the hostilities in hi-sec space.

Also, NPC pirates are not the same as player pirates.

As for turning everything into null sec, I would be perfectly fine with that. Sov Null is safer than hi sec for non-lazy people anyway. I live in NPC null, Syndicate area, and think a setup like that would be perfect for anything outside of low sec/sov null.

Just think, no more tear ridden threads about those "weeely weeely ebil nastee’ war deccers you hi sec people cry about on a daily basis. No more CODE which you people also whine about like little children. All of those problems solved.

Maybe CCP is trying to tell you all to grow a pair and fight fight back, or move to a more dangerous and profitable region, or maybe they are trying to weed out the baddies who think they should be allowed to shoot a rock and watch anime without a care in the world. Maybe they are trying to get you to htfu or go back to doing dailies with your fellow nerd-locks and huntards.

Do we know if the faction police fire on them?

Who cares if they fire on them? Why don’t you fire on them?

Better yet, instead of deccing your barge/exhumed out to maximize ore intake per cycle, throw some tank on it so you can stay alive long enough for your fleets drones to kill them.

Quit relying on others (CCP) to play the game for you.

Beter yet, spend some time training basic combat skills and go blow them up before they have a chance to start attacking belts.

Its pretty damn simple really. Htfu or move along.

2 Likes

Because their DPS is rather insane for just two frigates and a logi.

A standard fleet (2x Guristas Kestrels and a Bantam) was poking our citadel and was more or less being annoying. I geared up a high speed vexor, got lucky when the bantam got into scram range, and took them down one by one.

However, as I’ve noticed, the DPS they do is… consistent, no matter the resists. I’d be okay if their factioned scourge light missiles weren’t doing some mystical damage that ignored pretty much everything.

Overall, they’re not bad when in combat (except the constant warping around, that needs to die in a fire because being able to warp around JUST a perfect distance to be able to warp must mean these guys have landmarks for each particle in New Eden), but the DPS just doesn’t make too much sense.

That all being said, I still would like to be able to treat them like players that Concord doesn’t touch (I can get behind that, carebear or not), like being attacked and being able to fight back without annoying dialog saying that it’ll hurt my standing with them. At that point, that isn’t on my priority list: what is on it is to tell that Bantam where my drones are.

So some constructive stuff: For the people who are the elite pvp capsuleers, do you feel that these improved NPCs could help teach newer players some actual PvP tactics? This was oddly the first time I had to scram something and if I can use this as a time to practice some actual tactics and builds, I’d definitely be interested in seeing if this can be used in a more positive note, despite the criticism above.

3 Likes

It could definitely be used as a good learning tool for PvP with the new AI. PvP gangs fighting on a gate will usually have pings all over the place and will disengage/re-engage very frequently. Using a disruptor or scram can solve this problem (I’m not sure about the rats because I dont live in hi sec and dont have to deal with them, but I’m assuming you can point them).

My main point was that instead of asking for concord intervention, it needs to be up to the capsuleers to figure out how to adapt to and overcome the threat. If someone was to ask “hey these rats act just like pvp’ers, anyone have tips on how I or my group can deal with them?”, then the criticism would not have been harsh at all. But going directly to something like, “What, this is hi sec and I shouldnt be troubled with anything that interrupts muh mining” warrants a strong reaction.

EVE has been around well over a decade and has a name in the gaming industry for being harsh, dangerous, and full of players who will gladly give advice, tips and tricks, or even be willing to engage in hands on teaching as long as a person approaches the problem with an attitude that they want to adapt to the situation and conquer it.

On the other hand, complaining and wanting one part of the game AI to protect you from another part of the game AI is not going to go well.

Well, to add, as soon as I scrammed the bantam, that was pretty much it. Just had to tank the two kestrels and once their logi was gone, it was safe picking on the other two (granted, even with active armor reps, it was still close, on a Vexor Navy Issue, which I think should hint at why there is some outcry). It was just annoying getting into the 20km range with units that warp in and out freely and dish out very heavy damage (for two frigates, 755 total on a proper setup is seriously insane), which is why I thought to use a scram (which worked).

Buffer or otherwise, that’s my current issue with them: the damage output is out of control and the constant warping makes me feel like the AI just loves the warping sequence. I am not at all asking for Concord to intervene (that would honestly confuse newer players and may trick them into thinking there is some guardian angel system that doesn’t actually exist), but if the damage output matched the ships, then I’d be more forgiving (seriously, if they had this AI as a possible PvE mission or escalation ending, I’d be hyped each time on having to face a far harder opponent that poses a serious threat).

That being said, if someone could maybe take a guess at what builds these guys are using, that may give more insight into the high DPS.

1 Like

Was it 755 per frigate or 755DPS total between the the two?

If its per frigate, that’s pretty high. If its between the two, that’s basically like 2.5 assault frigates, or its fairly in line with what you would experience in a PvP setting going against two assault frigates with really good skills and perhaps drugs and/or implants.

Its a fairly common scenario actually, except players are going to be smarter than the AI.

Best thing to do is find friends to fly with, or out ship them. You could also take drugs yourself to increase your tank and survivability, and dont be afraid to overhrat your modules when it gets hairy, you can always repair them later.

EVE drugs best drugs.

So I went ahead and reviewed the one combat log just to make sure I get the facts straight.

According to the logs, the average hit was about 261 from each frigate, with the ceiling being 71.1 DPS and the floor being 44 DPS (while the 2 kestrels were still around) with 100% hit rate. Most hits were 255 damage per hit from Guristas Scourge Light Missile with about 7 seconds between each hit. While dealing with the scrammed Bantam, my Caldari Navy Vespas were dealing between 68.6 DPS and 110.3 DPS, while averaging about 66 to 42 while dealing with the two Kestrels.

In order to keep up with the two Kestrels and Bantam, I had to have the Vexor go at about 1.2km/s, which sadly meant having to eat direct hits while tailing the two Kestrels (once they decided to just fly in one direction instead of warping off now that their logi was gone). I didn’t feel the need to overheat the MWD since I was keeping a good distance on them. I did have to overheat the armor rep though.

So no, it does appear to be very low now that I look over it, just took awhile longer than anticipated. I’d include logs to help out with looking things over, but I can’t get it to stay within the 32k character limit.

2 Likes

That sounds much more manageable. It sounds like grid control and maybe a bit of fitting nerdery is what would help you with that more than anything. If you want some fitting tips or grid control tips hit me up in game tonight and we’ll see what we can come up with to make the next encounter a bit less hairy for you.

angular speed does not matter when missiles damge.
On the opposite, your speed did. Thus chasing them at 1.2km/s may have actually reduced the damage you took. Though I guess you had a mwd, so the sig bloom hurts.

Also, vespas are medium drones and are not designed to chase down small ships. next time try to use hornets instead.
Or, you can fit a web and the rats magically disappear from grid, only leving a wreck behind them.

I could of sworn I read a form or Reddit post where someone posted a fit of the new fob Kestral looking similar to this fit

[Kestrel, Kestrel]
Dread Guristas Ballistic Control System
Dread Guristas Ballistic Control System

Dread Guristas Adaptive Invulnerability Field
Caldari Navy Medium Shield Extender
1MN Afterburner II
Small Ancillary Shield Booster

Rocket Launcher II
Rocket Launcher II
Rocket Launcher II
Rocket Launcher II

Small Warhead Calefaction Catalyst I
Small Hydraulic Bay Thrusters I
Small Warhead Rigor Catalyst I

If we theorize that the gurista have lvl 5 in the appropriate skills, then they are throwing out 161 dps with dread rockets and a wooping 180 with tech 2 all while having a nice 6 k ehp tank.

If this is true, it would explain why they don’t drop any loot

1 Like