New player - frustrated with documentation

Specific issue of Concord response aside, this is a real problem in EVE. When pretty much all information for the game comes from 3rd Party sources, most of which are outdated or otherwise inaccurate, it can cause some issues for new players.

It would be nice, though I don’t expect to ever get it, for CCP to put out some sort of compendium of game mechanics that was kept updated with changes, but eh. We’ll all muddle through I’m sure.

1 Like

" When your corporation or alliance is at war, the capsuleer log-off timer can become an issue if you ever fly with people who aren’t in your corporation or alliance. Because in order to assist someone with a capsuleer log-off timer who is at war will require anyone that isn’t in the same alliance or corporation to turn your safety to disable safety (red) and go Icon timer criminal.png Criminal in high security space , or disable safety (yellow) in low security space and go Icon timer suspect.png Suspect."

We were in the same fleet and same non-war-eligable corporation that has never been at war so I did not think this paragraph applied.

“What I’m really more curious about is, why are you using a combat battleship as a logi? When there are more capable and less expensive ships for Logi?”

I think I made several logic fails here in this situation. From what I can tell after rereading all this is that the real mechanics issue was that the Orca had killrights activated from a prior week, so while anyone can join in the fight against it, nobody can remote repair said ship regardless of being in the same corp, fleet, etc. I did not know this at the time from what I had read at that point. My Leshak is my only ship with any kind of remote repair bonus, so I swapped out to it from my mining ship expecting to become suspect for changing safety and activating remote repair. After one tic of repair Concord appeared, which seemed odd to me. Then boom.

“Activating the kill right will enact a Suspect flag on the target, making them a legal target to all pilots in their vicinity for 15 minutes.”

“Providing remote assistance to Suspects, Criminals, outlaws or players in a limited engagement will also result in a Criminal Timer, with the respective CONCORD reaction in High Security Space.”

So apparently activating a kill right makes that person a ‘yellow flashy’ and open to attack, and remote repairs at that moment are still ok. Once someone does actually attack that generates a limited engagement. The limited engagement does not prevent other people from joining in to attack, but does prevent anyone from remote repping at all, regardless of war status, fleet status etc. Is this correct?

“It would be nice , though I don’t expect to ever get it, for CCP to put out some sort of compendium of game mechanics that was kept updated with changes, but eh. We’ll all muddle through I’m sure.”

Yes, that is what I would really like.

I agree that it’s hard/impossible to find complete documentation for this game.

However, for high sec concord actions, isn’t there a big warning when you turn your green safety settings to yellow or red? I know I haven’t touched my safety settings in ages, but I’d never turn it yellow unless I knew what I were doing. And I’d never turn it red unless I was prepared to lose my ship by concord.

I think you emp’d a neutral structure.

That will get you an aggression on the faction itself, which results in a red flag, and consequently concord.

I dont think the rep it what did it. Best not to use smartbombs / bombs / other aoe ish effects in high sec (if applicable).

EvE is a complex game, and high sec engagement rules are particularly complex, but the relevant documentation I’ve checked about this seems to be correct and up to date, except for a reference to an outdated dev blog, which is what seems to have confused you here.

Was that Orca in a limited engagement with some other pilot? Because if it was, then the following would apply, which you seem to be aware of already, but I’m gonna repeat for clarity and reference anyway, because this thread has become a bit messy and other things that don’t seem to be relevant to what actually happened have been mentioned as well:

Providing remote assistance to Suspects, Criminals, outlaws or players in a limited engagement will also result in a Criminal Timer

Also this:

https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Timers#Remote_assistance.2C_combat_timers_and_legality

Interfering in a fight between two parties (war or limited engagement) in high security space is a Criminal offence

That’s correct, yes. You would probably have to go suspect anyway for assisting a pilot that’s suspect himself, but definitely not criminal as long as there is no LE. And if you don’t completely disable your safety setting, your remote reppers would simply deactivate automatically when he gets the LE timer.

Yeah, that’s a dev blog that dates back to 2012. Unlike Help Center and UniWiki articles, which you’re right should be kept up to date, and in general are, dev blogs are frozen, as they should be, and hence the information contained there may become outdated when changes are made.

You’re right here, nonetheless, that having one or more help articles refer you to outdated documentation is misleading and they should be updated to take this into consideration.

And this is where you’re wrong, regardless of everything else that has been discussed so far.

It made sense that, based on your understanding of how things were supposed to work, you decided to partially disable your safety setting (yellow), not that you would completely disable it (red)…

The fact that you couldn’t do what you wanted with your safety set to yellow, assuming you tried that first, was a clear indication that you would go criminal, not suspect, if you did it with your safety set to red.

Eve has documentation?

5 Likes

Who’s Eve and is she cute/single?

1 Like

This is a legitimate gripe.

The problem with a 16+ year old game is that the documentation is never going to keep up with the changes. That’s why we all tend to rely on corp and alliance mates to keep up with changes.

The bad news, is there’s no easy way to fix this. The good news is there is an easy work around - join a group with veterans who are willing to answer your questions.

The other good news is that if you’re brand new you don’t have to unlearn a bunch of stuff you thought you knew. The worst is the former hardcore player who comes back after a 2 or 3 year hiatus.

The rules are pretty easy. Stay in HS and leave safety on green. It won’t let you do anything that will get you concorded. Or get out of HS and set safety to red. From there the rules are clear.

Outside there’s no need to set safety to red either, is there? Never really flown in lowsec space, but in null and wormhole space your safety does not matter at all, so it’s better to keep it green in case you accidentally end up in high sec, to stop you from killing that unaware miner and losing your ship by Concord.

Yea not really. Just being thorough.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.