I am a returning player and would like to share an idea with you.
So, I always found the travelling mechanism a little boring especially on long travels in the game. So what if…
- There would not be stargates, but every system would have an entry point satellite/beacon.
- All ships from smallest to capitals would have a jump range and could jump to any system’s entry point within it’s jump range.
- All clones would have a maximum distance of travelling per hour. Important, that this amount would not reset hourly, but continously per every minute. So short range travels would be possibly shortly even after a long jump, but two long jumps with the same clone would be impossible.
This would make travelling in new eden more fun and “realistic” for me. Gate camps would oviously changed a bit…
Maybe the idea can use some work on it, but overall i think a mechanism like this would be better than the gate system.
with this, maybe a new type of logistic ship or ship logistic module could be introduced, with a role of buffing the jump range of the smaller ships in the fleet. so mixed fleets could travel together, if they have this kind of logistic ship/module with them.
I forgot to mention that I am thinking of very long jump ranges, so players even in cruisers or t1 industrials could travel extrem long distances. That is why I wrote that there should be a maximum travelling distance per hour. So, a trader could jump to his destination with only one jump, but if he wants to continue his journey, he would need to do smaller jumps later as the time pass, similar but little bigger distances like current system to system distances, or he wait a full hour and use one large jump again.
This way we could have:
- faster one time long range travel.
- ensure that one clone can do this only one time per hour, so no super fast trades between two points.
- gankers and campers would still be able to camp system entry points.