New travel mechanism - entry point satellites

Hi all!

I am a returning player and would like to share an idea with you.

So, I always found the travelling mechanism a little boring especially on long travels in the game. So what if…

1. There would not be stargates, but every system would have an entry point satellite/beacon.
  2. All ships from smallest to capitals would have a jump range and could jump to any system’s entry point within it’s jump range.
  3. All clones would have a maximum distance of travelling per hour. Important, that this amount would not reset hourly, but continously per every minute. So short range travels would be possibly shortly even after a long jump, but two long jumps with the same clone would be impossible.

This would make travelling in new eden more fun and “realistic” for me. Gate camps would oviously changed a bit…

Maybe the idea can use some work on it, but overall i think a mechanism like this would be better than the gate system.

edit:
with this, maybe a new type of logistic ship or ship logistic module could be introduced, with a role of buffing the jump range of the smaller ships in the fleet. so mixed fleets could travel together, if they have this kind of logistic ship/module with them.

edit 2:
I forgot to mention that I am thinking of very long jump ranges, so players even in cruisers or t1 industrials could travel extrem long distances. That is why I wrote that there should be a maximum travelling distance per hour. So, a trader could jump to his destination with only one jump, but if he wants to continue his journey, he would need to do smaller jumps later as the time pass, similar but little bigger distances like current system to system distances, or he wait a full hour and use one large jump again.

This way we could have:

1. faster one time long range travel.
  2. ensure that one clone can do this only one time per hour, so no super fast trades between two points.
  3. gankers and campers would still be able to camp system entry points.

No the travel system is key to many things.

2 Likes

Good thing CCP doesn’t make changes because on what makes something feel realistic to a random forum goer.

-1, this is just a coward’s dream to avoid getting ganked by hostiles and runs entirely counter to the core of EVE Online

Ganking would be still possible on entry points brave one. Including suicide ganking, or using dictors in null or instalock ships anywhere.

No. Here’s why:

1. A maximum distance traveled per hour (assuming that they’re not laughably high) for current non-jumpdrive travel would be utterly absurd. Trade routes would collapse because haulers would take significantly longer to haul their goods to market.

2. The whole point of a jump drive is that it either requires a massive ship (i.e. a capital ship), or a ship with highly specialized technology (i.e. a Black Ops Battleship). All of EvE is balanced on that notion, and changing that would fundamentally upset the balance of EvE.

The closest we’re ever going to see to what you proposed are the already-existing cyno beacons that sov holders can deploy in nullsec.

1 Like

Bronson Hughes, my fault I did not write in the first post, my idea is to have as you wrote “laughably” high jump ranges, so players even in cruisers or t1 industrials could travel extrem long distances. That is why I wrote that there should be a maximum travelling distance per hour. So, a trader could jump to his destination with only one jump, but if he wants to continue his journey, he would need to do smaller jumps as the time pass, similar but little bigger distances like current system to system distances.

This way we could have:

1. faster one time long range travel.
  2. ensure that one clone can do this only one time per hour, so no super fast trades between two points.
  3. gankers and campers would still be able to camp entry points.

systems are too far away from each other for subcaps to travel on their own - that is why Gate technology is crucial for New Eden. You can read all about it here if you have time: https://fiction.eveonline.com/

1 Like

Fair enough and thanks for clarifying, but it still doesn’t do anything to address the fact that such a change would fundamentally alter the overall balance of EvE.

Travel time isn’t just an inconvenience, it’s part of what makes EvE feel larger. It forces consequences on you. Do I try to sell locally at a discount, or do I spend the time to haul to a trade hub? Do I manufacture closer to a trade hub where price indices are higher to save hauling time, or do I save ISK and spend more time hauling by manufacturing in a quiet system further out? And don’t forget the all-critical choke-point; they play a huge role in how the game is played strategically, but in your “open jump” system, they’d largely go away.

What you’re proposing eliminates consequences for your choices, which is why it’ll never fly.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.