New Uncertain Player

… Admittedly, these replies have only served to confuse me more. I’ll just look around the corp threads.

What do you fancy doing, there are many paths, and you dont have to stick with just one

It’d be fun to build up a nice community and just have a blast going around doing missions, incursions and other PvE stuff. Trade a bit. Kill pirates - I don’t care so much about the PvP, but since it seems to be integrated into everything, I want to build myself up as someone who doesn’t pirate, but is capable of defending against such.

Ignore everything you’ve heard so far. New players are more powerful than ever before these days and the vast majority of the toxicity can be avoided by remaining polite and humble :wink: Don’t complain when EvE isn’t like other games, just rty to understand why and strive to learn from your mistakes.

I tend to focus on piracy / hunting other players, though I have a bit of experience with pretty much everything EvE has to offer. If you ever feel stuck, feel free to get in touch via EvE-Mail and I’ll be happy to assist any way I can.

Don’t listen to this guy. Solo is extremely viable and very rewarding. Some people just can’t hack it cus it’s harder than flying in a 50 man blob.

You can be a pacifist in EvE or a bloodthirsty pirate, don’t let anyone tell you what to be. Get in touch for assistance :slight_smile:

3 Likes

predvodnica hates eve and doesn’t play it, just flames forums.

▲ ▲ ▲ yep…case in point

Rule number one, don‘t feed the trolls. :wink:

Keep in mind, EvE is a PvP game and the PvE is rather dull, mostly there to facilitate PvP and give people an income option. PvP not only happens in fights but also on the market, and the competition about resources. If you can’t defend or secure your claim (mission site, loot, etc.) you don‘t own it or lose it.

You have to earn your success against other players. This is what makes playing EvE fun and unique.

2 Likes

Removed some off topic posts.

1 Like

Interms of starter corps check the ones I mentioned, though EvE Uni is probably best given you are less interested in PvP. Also have a chat with my corp recruiters, we may have something to interest you. Mailme in game if you like for advice and/or to discuss further.

Greetings and welcome to EVE! Very happy that you decided to give it a go and, we are here to help!

OK, a couple of things before we dive in. EVE is often considered unfriendly to new players for two main reasons.

FIrst, the community can be a little prickly at times (I see that there is a bit of that in this thread), but there are a ton of us who are supportive of new players and like to help them learn and find their way. You will do well as long as you are willing to learn, accept the challenges (and losses) of the game with good spirits, and do not shy away from that.

Second, the learning curve of EVE is incredibly steep. It is a very deep and complex game and that can be intimidating to some new players. However, with the right resources and the willingness to ask questions and learn from the answers you get, that very complexity is what makes EVE so wonderful and why we love it.

Now, as to where you are now and where you go from here- what I typically recommend to new players is to go through this sequence:

1. Finish the tutorial
  2. Do the Career Agent missions to get some ISK, learn more about the game, and get some ships. Info on that is here:
    Career Agents - EVE University Wiki
  3. Do a special mission called an Epic Arc for a group called Sisters of EVE. This will get you more experience, more ISK, and let you see more of New Eden. Info on that is here:
    The Blood-Stained Stars - EVE University Wiki
  4. Decide what’s next- that may be joining a corp where you can learn more and work with people, or stay solo. It’s up to you at that point- but we are here to help out.

Now, while you’re doing all that, poke around on E-Uni (the site where I have posted those links) as this is the best documentation on EVE out there. If you have a question, it is probably answered on that site.

Also, here is another thread from another new player where several of us have been working on answering his questions as he gets started. Lots more info and links are in that thread that will help you out.

Good luck, have fun, and don’t hesitate to ask questions as they come up.

3 Likes

A game cannot be friendly or unfriendly. That’s projecting a personality onto something that doesn’t have one. The player community on the other hand…

A game can be easy or difficult to learn.
It can be forgiving or unforgiving when you screw up.
EvE is certainly the latter in both cases but as a result it is particularly rewarding when you accomplish something.

A game can have gameplay which is structured or open.
EvE is about as close to a sandbox as you can get. If you’re someone who constantly needs/wants direction EvE isn’t for you. If you want to be walked through a pre-scripted narrative it’s not the game for you. However, if you want to write your own story then it offers a plethora of choices. It takes years to try everything so most players never do, instead preferring to stick to what they enjoy most.

Yes, you’re late to the game, but it’s never been easier to start (as a new player) and while there are already many established empires, both industrial and military, (especially in nullsec) you can still make your mark on the galaxy as an explorer, pvper, pirate, scammer, trader, ganker (or even by trying the new PvE content). Why?
Because individual achievements are celebrated just as much as the on-going, never ending empire building.

More than other games EvE is a true MMO (the RPG is optional), in that it’s difficult to achieve much alone, so they key to enjoying the game is finding a good corp - something which can take a while (just like finding the right job in real life) but once you find a group of like minded individuals to fly with EvE really comes into its own and you’ll be able to make the most of what New Eden has to offer.

1 Like

Aha, found the recruitment link, have a read and see if we offer what you want from EvE. We do pretty much everything to some extent.

Has an sp minimum. Nowhere near that lol. Oh well. Thanks, though.

@Sun_Xin-Rei I work with new players in my tiny corp. No SP min, no requirement starting out as omega, all we ask for Celtic Fire pilots is to have fun whatever you choose. We help new players, affiliates with other corps for PVE fun.
You can even stay in the NPC corp and hang out in our Celtic fire chat channel and anyone who is in that channel will help out.

2 Likes

Stick with the F2P option until our new P2W overlords reveal their true intentions…

1 Like

If you are truly lost OP, then maybe reading the stories of those who started before you may help. :slight_smile:

edit: I will also add a few points that, while they may not give you direction, may help you figure stuff out.

• The community here (even those you meet in game) is more than willing to help and assist you in your endeavors. However the community tends to frown on and/or be hostile to those who have a sense of “entitlement” (see: “I shouldn’t have to do this” or “this is stupid, this should be changed!” or “Even though I have minimal experience at X, know its intricacies and how to do it better.”)

• As helpful most players can be, don’t trust anyone with your stuff. And do not think that people will not try to blow you up. Not until you have built up some solid rapport with those people first.
    Example: I have freely offered up advice on how to partake in or outright avoid PvP. But this has never stopped me from engaging and blowing up those same players in-game when the opportunity arises.
    ( if I had to sum up the community sentiment, it would be this: “Information and advice is free. Past that, everything is fair game” )

• Talk with people. As many people as you can. EVE is one of those games where social interaction (and the results of said interaction) are pretty much the game.

• When you “lose,” come from the standpoint of, “what can I do to get better?”

• The only “honor” or “fairness” here comes when two people have an understanding and willfully abide by it.
    That said… don’t expect the other person to abide by said agreement(s). Cover your bases and always have a “Plan B.”

• Try a little bit of everything.
    Even if you do not like PvP, give it a try anyways. The things you learn may help you protect yourself in the future.
    Likewise; if you don’t like PvE / industry / trading, dabble in it a bit. It will give you an idea on how things in EVE work and give you an edge over others in seeing opportunities (or avoiding dangers).

• Larger groups can offer more resources, networks, and “protection.” But they tend to also be more impersonal and may treat you as “expendable.”
    Smaller groups are often the opposite… requiring members to operate more independently both in terms of combat and money. But, if active enough, they can give you more personalized support and a sense of camaraderie that you won’t find in many other places.

• Different areas of space (see: high-sec, low-sec, null-sec, and wormhole space) have different kinds of people that use different kinds of tactics and playstyles.

3 Likes

Don’t confuse unfriendly with ‘willing to shoot you in the face’.

Most people in EVE are very friendly, but these people will also shoot you in the face over and over and over and over and over again if you give them an opportunity to do so.

1 Like

Most people in Eve online are very friendly to you as long as you serve them as a punch bag :laughing:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.