No Downtime - Again!

It’s a known issue, it’s being worked on, it’s nothing to do with this.

Looks like it’s a side effect of an update which has been done for Eve’s SSO architecture, moving to .net core.

If you’re sending the auth as json, it won’t work (might get fixed, might not. it’s being looked at, but with ‘no promises’. As it’s technically in breach of oauth2.) need to send as form headers. Which means code updates. probably relatively simple ones, but still.

(I’m paraphrasing from the chat with devs on slack)

6 Likes

As is explained in the devblog, significant memory usage and significant client lag would occur. it is not nearly as simple as just turning off the daily downtime button

That’s going to be a step along the way to no downtime.

This ‘no downtime’ is ‘skip downtime today to see what breaks’.

3 Likes

No, they reset.

2 Likes

I haven’t played in quite awhile, just logging on to keep my skill queue moving and collect daily login-prizes, so you may discount what I’m about to say, if you choose.

In regards to THIS TOPIC, I recently watched a Youtube video which I think might be of interest to you.
A PCIe atomic clock.

I’m thinking this might help you get your desynchronization even closer to zero.
Or, you may already have the equivalent. I don’t know.

While i appreciate this, that still dosn’t mean i am going to ignore the long wait for fixing the seagulling in pochven…and speaking of pochven, when we are going to get agent for triglavian ? that would attract few more people there

I am more of a silent reader, but I wanted to login and say that I really enjoy to read your DEV-Blogs (I am a developer myself, but from a totally different field).
Keep up the good work and please also share it.

3 Likes

“The last time I wrote this (did you read that dev blog? It’s really good, I promise), Tranquility’s auto-reboot on weekends was approximately 4 minutes and 20-40 seconds, just enough for a quick cup of tea. Today’s auto-reboot, a year and a half later, was 3 minutes and 34 seconds - just enough for a quicker cup of tea”

So your saying no more tea breaks?

Is that even legal?

3 Likes

I’m usually online playing this game when DT hits and the few minutes that it’s offline doesn’t bother me at all. I actually view DT as a reminder to take a break…

I thought Eve Online was the only MMO operating on a single server. Even if it’s not, CCP should definitely ask those other game company’s for some programing tips.

I usually log-in everyday for the log-in rewards so don’t tell me it’s not daily. Everyday the Launcher downloads something and that’s been happening for quite a while now.

You’re not a CCP Dev, you don’t know exactly what’s happening with it or what it’s downloading.

1 Like

But … think about the Hamsters !!!

1 Like

Single shard. Ie: one instance of the game world, unlike how WoW has Blackrock and Silver Hand and Murlock Dick that are all separate but identical. In fact, TQ is a server cluster, with a few dozen servers all running different bits of the game and communicating with one another. When you hear ‘reinforced node’ that basically means ‘One of the beefier individual server blades’.

Do you leave the launcher up once you’re logged in? Saying ‘it’s not daily’ doesn’t mean ‘it doesn’t happen every day’. If something happens hourly, for example, it happens every day. Some part of the build might update daily and be downloaded. Others might happen at a different point during the day and not wait for the next day to be downloaded.

Nope, I’m not, and I do not have any special knowledge of what’s being downloaded. I can, however, read what it tells me its downloading when I start up the launcher. Have you bothered doing that?

2 Likes

I’m going to miss the days when I could sneak a freighter through null sec to hisec wormholes only to be able to have the mass reset at downtime and be able to use the same wormhole several times.

The people working on this, aren’t really the people who would be touching game play.

The people who work on this stuff tend to be the deep magic types.

4 Likes

BRB changing dev name.

4 Likes

As long as it wouldn’t stop us from holding a mission open to turn it in later like we do now in USIA, I wouldn’t have an issue with downtime disappearing.

Honestly, it wouldn’t surprise me if they’re already deploying something along those lines in this fashion. It would make sense to have the cluster guaranteed to be running at a guaranteed consistency.

Not entirely true.
When CCP throw in these launcher and client updates without telling us, it will/does create issues if you happen to not restart your launcher before trying to log in after DT.

As an Aussie I see it differently but I’d be happy to see DT moved to right in the middle of your TZ as it isn’t an issue for you.
You can then deal with having to log in and form up twice to deal with a single timer.
You can enjoy being in the middle of a fight only to have it end due to DT. You would I’m sure enjoy it so much when CCP screw up and your client won’t restart after DT while you have an active timer and it takes CCP an hour to even acknowledge the issue on Twitter (first) then the forums.

Yeah DT in the middle of my prime time isn’t an issue but hey I don’t want to appear selfish, CCP can feel free to move it to any other TZ they choose and let them “not be annoyed” by a daily disruption to their limited online time

3 Likes

By all means make it happen at 1700 eve time or 16 or 18 or 20 or 22 or 9 or 5 or 12. I don’t care at all because I have all the time in the world :slight_smile: I am no stranger to having to form twice or thrice or quadruple.

When it comes to tidislugfests, this is not a threat but a godsend. As for issues with startup: I rather take issues and no startup after a planned DT than issues at a random time of the day that interrupt things that should not be interrupted ordinarily.

1 Like

Heck yes.

Massive amounts of respect for rewriting basic infrastructure and trying to improve things like this. I want shiny new gameplay, but this kind of investment truly shows you’re trying your best to future proof eve.

Thank you for your efforts!

5 Likes

Not sure you understand how structure timers and DT works. I also don’t see how you would ever have had to form up more than twice for “the same timer” and only then if it happens to fall at DT. The only thng that resets a timer is DT, so unless you’re contesting the same timer for 2 DAYS 24 hrs a day, you’re not reforming for it.

Not every fight is a tidi shite show. I was referring to a “fight”, EG; 6 blops, a tackled Nyx we spent 2 hours hunting, goes into structure, DT hits and he survives.

As for CCP moving DT to another TZ. Won’t happen because the amount of whining that would come if it were in US TZ and something went wrong would simply drown CCP customer service.
They do it in the “quietest” TZ to minimize disruption in case of failure.
They could however move it forward 2 hours and minimize disruption to AU TZ too but that would mean Devs, etc having to start work 2 hours earlier and we can’t have that