No Downtime - Again!

so it’s like a car free no mining day ? scarcity indeed

1 Like

one assumes, dear sir, that you have a plan for that?

query: so…does this mean that ‘server tick’ is going to get stretch far enough that we can fly freighters through ahbazon & vecamia, thumbing our noses at that meanie* MECH1000?

#content provider, #emergent gameplay

There are only two ways about the asteroid respawning. Either remove the static belts and make them anomalies, or have the belts still replenish at 11:00 GMT as per the usual time, except I guess they would just magically appear right in front of you again in the belt you are mining in. The anomaly route would at least get rid of some bots and AFK’ers. So there’s that…

2 Likes

Some COSMOS mission items drop from belt rats and also some COSMOS rats (that also drop COSMOS mission items) spawn in belts as well so those have to be taken care of manually if belts are removed and of course mission descriptions containing reference to such would also need to be altered and maybe some other things that are related but not obvious right away.

It seems to me that without downtime the respawning of any site could simply depend on when it was last depleted with a degree of randomness so they aren’t predictable.
On the other hand I’ve always wondered why areas of high intensity farming of any of them didn’t deplete completely after a while. If you extract everything from a given area there shouldn’t be anything left after a while and you would have to go somewhere else to find whatever it is you are after. That doesn’t happen in Eve, they just magically come back.
It is kind of interesting to think about a group like Goonswarm sucking up all the resources in their area of operations and having to spread out in order to get more. As far as I can tell scarcity didn’t do that, but having it take a long time for stuff to replenish could. Now that would cause some conflict.

Just put them at gates. Problem solved lol.

CCP don’t have any constrains with removing belts without even thinking about other mechanics attached to them. Jokes aside. It’s ben hinted many times that static belts will go away. Either replaced by dynamic belts or completely replaced by dynamic anomalies. Supposedly system from that was ready like year or so ago. They didn’t implemented it when ready. Since they waited for stockpiles to deplete bit more.
I suspect that end of scarcity will be start of dynamic ore distribution and probably no belts. While COSMOS missions are rather minority. I won’t be surprised that they gonna break clone soldiers and mordus spawns in LS and some silly fix like with null belts.

Yes most probably they will simply not care not to break and especially not to fix (as that requires even more effort) the COSMOS stuff they break, that is why I’ve mentioned it so that they pay attention, but most likely is that they will not bother regardless. Which means yet another aspect of the game will go extinct… such is progress at CCP I guess. :thinking:

3 Likes

Removing and or breaking content is not progress, it’s regression which only drives more players away from the game. The current Dev teams can’t even properly code little changes to the game without creating bugs and breaking existing content. CCP needs to realize that players aren’t leaving because it’s a complicated UI or other game mechanics, it’s the implementation of poor shoddy bug ridden code that’s causing players to leave.

3 Likes

I was being sarcastic. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Yeah, I know but CCP acts like that’s what they’re doing… making progress…

3 Likes

Sure, cause everyone who likes to hunt should belong to blob groups.

You don’t actually hunt in nulsec do you?
Will you send out the memo to all the guys who do dumb shite in Supers to ALWAYS do it hours before DT and not 10 minutes before, so we don’t look bad…

That is adorable, you think Devs are at work at 6am.
Moving DT 2 hours earlier would make it 9am Eve Time instead of 11am. So by your logic of needing all those extra hours for screwups, they would have an extra 2 hours to fix them.

What, you don’t want to deal with the pain of getting PTP up and running? :wink:

(I don’t blame you. Grand masters, boundary clocks, cut through switches, network cards which support hardware timestamping.)

Considering that concerted CCP effort has all but eradicated player activity, it must be real easy to do those experiments now, when there’s only bots (who do not complain) out there.

2 Likes

So, in simple terms, for who is not following all this, here’s the most likely blueprint for the future of the Eve’s economic ecosystem a.k.a. “the End of Scarcity”, puzzled together from snippets here and there :

1. no more static asteroid belts anywhere in Eve, ore anomalies are the (sole) future, perhaps under another name, perhaps even in the same location as the belts are right now.
  2. “dynamic control” by ccp of the most basic of resources (minerals) in EvE, on a daily basis if need be, via the nature and number of the anomaly spawns.
  3. in order to establish #2 they need to get rid of the old code that controls the respawn of static belts which is triggered at normal downtime
  4. “no more downtime” is the sales pitch for a deep control position on the most basic of EvE activities, mining.
  5. the “no downtime” thing is a test to determine and fix what other fallout there is from not having a downtime

It is not the same as saying this is necessarily a bad approach, but it doesn’t feel like a game so much as being under active control by a puppet master, who gets to decide IF I can do a certain activity during a certain session.

A few points of critique here, ccp, in random order:

• Eve players very much like to feel being in control of what they do, including the market (!), without your (hidden) interference. The impact of this could be significant and underestimating that need for player established control may cost you.
  • your approach will not make the EvE economy healthy, in essence it is CCP taking control of the market by seizing the most basic resources, thereby controlling the market prices of anything manufactured. That is directly opposite to a player controlled market, which I believe is one of the game’s main attractants marketing wise. You want to tell us how many mud pies we can make with the sand by controlling the amount of sand. It will simply be demotivating for veteran players.
  • You seized a sledgehammer that will never allow you to tweak discrete economic factors. It can only create earthquakes, impacting both the destruction and the production segments of the entire player base at the same time. No careful control with this tool. The more you wield this tool, the larger the amplitude of its effect will be, including unwanted effects. The less you wield it, the more meaningless all your effort in creating it will be.
  • A healthy EvE economy is essentially based on the very simple principle of balancing destruction vs. production. The oddity here is that you focus solely on the production side, and do absolutely nothing about the destruction side. The prime flaw in your reasoning is that you overlook that it is the Destruction part that is bringing AND holding people in this game. “Blowing stuff up” is your marketing stronghold, not “building stuff”.
  • Even if you are aware of this, you should have actively worked on conflict drivers and roll them out at the same time. Now you will only give players more excuses to not undock and “blow stuff up or get blown up” because of … the economy. You make the risk too unattractive.
  • As WWB2 did not solve your perceived “supercap/titan” problem, neither will these economic (resource) changes. Even in the extreme case of having one material located in one tiny part of New Eden controlled by a formidable opponent, it will never be a conflict driver for more than one reason (alts being the obvious one, cost of losing a ship a second obvious one). In fact, by seizing control of the market reality, you will aggravate the problem, initiating a process of superinflation, and making “blowing stuff up” simply too expensive.
  • In that sense, the players won EvE by becoming extremely efficient. CCP lost EvE by not adding to that evolution, instead opting to tell players “you cannot do this anymore, we ran out of ideas”. The result may be a new scarcity that will impact the game dangerously, the Scarcity of Destruction - possibly by a “last man standing” (or donut) scenario, which ironically would at least give a few more years extra of true, classic eve gameplay. We’ll see.

and kindly nudged to @Brisc_Rubal and @Mike_Azariah , two of our csm reps, although nothing new but sufficiently condensed, I suppose.
o7

8 Likes

Because…? (Other than “Because downtime is not happening.” Im not literally asking for a circular argument)

2 Likes

Hehe, good luck with that question

2 Likes

Yes CCP has a plan for it but I won’t look for it to happen during the test. CCP is trying to remove all normal asteroid belts from the game. They plan to replace them ore anomalies. I hope that it works better then their garbage ice anomaly belts.

1 Like

@CCP_Explorer - hmmm, just got the fifteen minute shut down warning!

Today is the 8th