Note from retired criminal

MYou might not know this, but CODE was a product of the safening of high sec.

Ganking was a thing before Retribution, but it was really just a way to do a cargo grab. Ganking wasn’t all that common because everyone was out flipping cans.

When they shut down flipping, ganking became one of the last viable ways for the hard-line PvP crowd to extract tears.

I personally preferred it the old way. Ganking is weak in the area of interaction and lacks the artfulness flipping had, in my opinion.
Mo

What is artful about placing ore in your container and having them take it back? The only difference is that when you flip them you have time to chat while you’re killing them. The meaningful interaction takes place after.

I would say they are equally weak and both have the potential to be rich in artfulness. Content is what you make it. I know plenty of boring dudes that gank and suspect bait.

Flipping was all about inspiring someone to do something he/she probably ought not do.

And yes, giving the can back was one way. I typically stole to anger a potential opponent and get them to shoot me.

There were literally dozens of techniques for picking a fight and every fight was unique and beautiful.

Sometimes the fight took some additional coaxing… and sometimes the opponent brought a fleet. Those were the days,

By the time a ship got exploded, you were practically in a relationship. It was very personal.
Mo

The suspect baiting I’ve done has had a bit of personal touch to it, but there’s only so much you can do with our current Crimewatch mechanics. Shame I started in on that part of eve after the change.

Still it is what you make it, and there are some good experiences that can still come out of ganking and baiting.

Can’t see the ‘artfulness’ in badgering people until they snap tbh. Children do it on the playgrounds, only there they are called bullies in stead of PvP’ers. And they get punished when caught because it’s supposed to be bad behavior.

I think ‘perverse’ is a better name for poking someone until they snap mentally and make a spectacle of themselves in public.

I really think you are giving yourself too much credit by calling it ‘PvP’.

1 Like

Why are you comparing a game to real life?

1 Like

Snapping? Over a game? Wow you are one touchy guy or gal, maybe you should find a less stressful hobby…:roll_eyes:

1 Like

People make money off of it in real life, get hurt by it in real life AND are named and shamed on a website in real life.

Seems real enough to me.

Mmm… okay. I’ve always fancied teaching. Maybe i can give a free course in reading… interested?

Well you know what they say…He who can, does. He who cannot, teaches.

CCP make money, sure. Anyone else is a very naughty boy.

If you’re getting hurt then it’s probably not the game for you.

Likewise, if someone points out that you lost an internet spaceship on a website, using your player name and you get upset about it ( despite no link to your real identity being given) then it’s probably not the game for you.

Basically I’d say this probably isn’t the game for you.

1 Like

By this logic, EVE is in real life too. Stop making a science fiction game into a metaphysical reality. If there are people that get hurt because of this game in REAL LIFE, they get the Darwin Award from me. Grow up.

1 Like

You really shouldn’t go this route, it’s you that has the problem if you cannot differentiate between real life and what happens in a game. The only thing anyone is losing in EVE is ISK (an imaginary currency in a spaceship game) and Ships (made of pixels in a spaceship game).

What so many anti-pvp people like you cannot get past is that in EVE the bad guy is another player. Without people like CODE the game would be Hello Kitty in space. High Sec is already laughably safe, something you seem to lament yourself, but then for some reason you can’t put 2 and 2 together and see that CODE / gankers in general are filling a much needed role that in other games would be filled by NPCs.

Is it just because they are actual humans, and you can’t accept actual humans doing mean things? If they were NPCs you would have no choice to accept that a fleet appears and ganks you. They would have no ears to hear your complaints. So is it because they have ears? That they can read forums and see your complaints? Is it because they can read? Because they have eyes? What is it you can’t accept about the villains in EVE being other players? Why do you equate hostile actions in a hostile game environment (PvP is all about players killing players and always has been) with bullying in real life?

Do you call it bullying when 6 skeletons gank you in Dark Souls? Do you plead for them to let you go because you are almost at the next bonfire and you don’t want to lose all of your souls? No, because they are not people, can’t hear you, don’t care, and crying will get you nowhere. You accept they are the enemy, like what they do or not.

I would say you exhibit the more bully-like behaviour, in that you seek to take the conflict outside of the game and want to make it personal with the other humans just playing the game. I bet you would punch them if you could, wouldn’t you?

1 Like

Well, that’s one way to look at it.

I think if it more as a way to justify conflict. I don’t actually want the stuff they’re so riskily leaving around, I just want the fight.

Back before retribution, when flipping was common, traps that looked like miners were pretty common too. Flippers lost ships back then too.

i like this type of fight because it has meaning and interaction. There is a grudge and actual interest in what’s happening. Low and null (even high-sec merc work) is just meaninglessly exploding everything you can. There is no interaction and you often don’t even know who you killed.

its picking a fight, pure and simple. You can do it somewhat politely, but there has to be an element of strife introduced to motivate us to fight. Yes, it’s not nice… but that’s why the game is full of heavily armed warships… because we aren’t all expected to be nice to each other.

2 Likes

In b4 someone mentions freighters don’t and can’t have guns.

1 Like

Yeah, i didn’t get around to that yet but yes. CCP makes money off of this.
From the looks of it they don’t make enough however and have to find ways to get more people to play this game.

To do that they have titghtened safety in high sec so people can better play the other half of this game… the PvE part. Appearantly PvP isn’t all that popular after the hype has died in a pool of infuriated and ridiculed players.

Part of this game isn’t for me and part is. Like i said earlier, i do enjoy the gather/craft/spacetheme part of this game. So much in fact that i would sub immediately if PvP was confined to low and nul and high was 100% safe.

Some people get rather attached to their character. But besides that there are still real people behind the character names and so it is real people that are beeing affected.

It’s one in a list of games i play and the PvE part fills a niche for me.

But this is not about whether this is the game for me. It’s about OP’s drama RP about losing ways to harass potential future saviors of this game… saviors beeing paying customers that is.

It turns out there’s no financial future in realistic criminal behavior simulators, not even the space themed ones. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ganker, calm down. :wink:

2 Likes

:rofl:

I’m actually a miner :thinking:

1 Like

There are plenty of crime themed games in the AAA realm that justify this as good theme content.

Eve allows us to cast ourselves in roles that are traditionally carried by NPCs… but which are absolutely vital.

I know you aren’t protesting NPC’s attacking you in the belts… why does it bother you when players do so within the constraints of the current mechanics (which are almost comically in favor of you to the point where those who enjoy my play style have mostly quit).

I honestly doubt you have experienced the Eve I’m talking about and I think you would have loved it. The current PvP model in highsec is very feast or famine for PvE players. That is to say you are doing pure pve and you get killed by hankered or you are wardecced by mercs capable of fielding a very high-quality fleet.

Back when the mechanics I’m talking about existed, ganking wasn’t common because it’s not that much fun. There was always a big merc corp or two, but most highsec pvp’ers were working solo or in small crews.

We could be beaten by a small team of actual miners, the fights mostly centered around cans which allows a player to opt out, and you would see us shooting each other and fighting outside stations all over the game.

I think you would have preferred this because, quite simply, it was more interesting. Local felt more like the cantina in Star Wars than your local bistro.

Oh, and you were more likely to encounter criminals… but you were far less likely to encounter criminals you couldn’t beat.

I spent a lot of time flipping cans in a badger. I got a lot of kills doing it… but most corps could kill a badger if they really wanted to…

1 Like

Minerbumping.com article
MinerBumping.com: The Female Relative
links to
SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds

Ingame, they ask someone to get to [EXTERNAL] Teamspeak (not from CCP), someone records a conversation (which is allowed for private use, then posts it on soundscoud and links to minerbumping.com.

Time Issue
1:00 [InternetLawyer] disclaimer “recording to let everyone know there is no bullying”
2:14 RL The player explains his sister is NOT an eve online player.
3:20 RL Financial details explained. RL £
4:10 RL copyright infringment (also against TOS/EULA)
8:40 RMT by asking another person to commit a RL felony…
19:33 RMT “You’ll make back your money ingame”

20:26 RL nationality is disclosed.

? RL medical information : Somewhere his sister said he has a condition… but i’m not going to rehear that garbage.

Those who organise, record, post and maintain a website for this kind of conduct does not help EVE Online. THEY make CCP look like a online game for pedophiles and criminals.

99% of EVE Online players are awesome. Yes, they wreck your ship and probably repeat pod you if they get the opportunity but that is all within the constraints of the game.
People don’t see where the line is, and frankly this wasn’t you but you don’t know the line just like the suspects in that 3 year old chat.

How can that be ingame and not RL ? Please elaborate.

3 Likes