Once upon a time there were no tax for player bounties in NPC corporations, then some of the players continuously complained that other players use NPC corporations to hide from wardecs and farm lvl 4 missions in perfect safety (1), CCP introduced 11% tax as a payment for the safety (2). Some of the players tried to avoid the tax by creating a 1-man corporations or joining the other corporations (3). After a while, powerful corporations started to wardec every corp they encountered, including mining corporations, newbie corporations, academies etc (4). Some adapted by switching corps, others complained about griefing and/or left the game. So, CPP changed the system again and now you can’t wardec the corporation without property in space. (5) and we returned to state (1) but with NPC tax.
NPC corporation has the benefit of active multiple players, chat is interesting to read sometimes, players often help the newbies to learn the game and compared to help channels it isn’t overloaded with obvious questions. Also, the most important is that NPC corporation has equality and neutral leadership. Player won’t be kicked out if he isn’t playing, or can’t use voice comms, or just because the CEO was drunk and mad at everyone.
When the newbie player encounter the 11% tax and want to avoid it, he can:
- ignore it (ok for miners, producers, traders)
- join factional warfare (but you’ll have obvious combat troubles)
- join player corporation (if you ok with following someone’s orders and authority)
- create a 1-man corp (if you don’t want to be ruled… but you’ll loose the chat channel with hundreds of people)
- try to create a a corporation with multiple people (leadership and recruiting problems, people leaving, time zone and language problems etc, so not for everyone)
So now I’m asking why players in NPC corporations should be penalized with 11% tax, when you can have the same level of safety in 1-man corp? Isn’t it better to have at least some level of socializing in NPC corp instead of playing alone? I think if someone plays casually and don’t like the social obligations in player corporations and then this person is forced to sit 1-man corporation is more likely to leave the game then the player who stays in NPC corporation. What do you think?