nVidia's 3000 series cards

Im still awaiting for my ASUS Stryx 3090 OC … at the rate this is going, it’ll arrive next year.

BTW I noticed the Asus 3090 has 3 power connectors, unlike all the other models. Does it mean I need to get a PSU with 3 GPU power cables? I have a modular 1000 watts PSU, but I’m not sure it’s got 3 cables for the GPU.

Once I get the 3090, I’ll move my 1080ti to my Debian dev box, and use the 3090 in my gaming rig.

I’d be surprised if a 1000w PSU didn’t have 4x 8pin connectors. You can also buy molex to 8pin adapters, but I doubt you’d have to do that.

Hopefully you can remember where you left you unused PSU cables.

I live in the UK so for 7 months a year electronics run at near zero waste. Energy efficency is not a concern in northern Europe or Russia. More specifically in Iceland who have a cold climate so electronic thermal inefficiency is zero & they also have thermal renewable.

It is funny to see N.A firms bring that region specific ideological garbage over here. Many politicians have lapped it up too owing to good lobbying. For example McDonald’s have a low water toilet, why? water is free in my region & your facility has been built 500 yds from the deepest supply of fresh water if you don’t “waste” it it is flowing into the sea.

The biggest joke is led lightning which is horrific for the environment compared to low electrical efficency bulbs. Led is also expensive & horrifically sharp. “Energy efficency”, efficent in what way? It is worse for the enviroment & more expensive than a bulb which owing to low ambient temperature of region has zero inefficiency.

I take it your electricity also is free of charge and you can use 12 hair dryers and vacuum cleaners all day.

There are countries in Europe where a household does need to pay for electricity.
Compared to my old machine, a Core2Quad Q9600, running an AMD graphics card, which was a 200-500 Watts light bulp, my current machine, a Core I5 7500 and an AMD Radeon RX 480, running idle and using 50 Watts.
Running EVE Online pushed that to 130 Watts or 185 Watts with Vulkan™.

In other words, I get much more processing power for a much cheaper electric bill.

How you would put efficiency into that comparison is up to you, I for one call that a fine piece of technology.

AMD is delivering. Nvidia is toast. Much cheaper cards, with better energy efficiency, for equal performance.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.