Off-Topic Thread vol. 2

I’m not. I’m asking you a question. Your responses here have made it pretty clear that ‘I don’t know’ somehow upsets and/or offends you. So I’m asking why, because I’m curious.

So do you want me to be honest, or do you want me to say that? Because I know it’s not something I believe. It’s just also something I don’t disbelieve. There is a middle-ground there that you don’t seem to get. It’s not a question of not being sure of what I believe, it’s a matter of not believing in either proposition.

Here, an example: what color socks do you believe I have on right now? Your options are black, or day-glo neon orange (which I do own! Ask Mizhara, she’s seen 'em, they offend her just by existing!)

No, I’m being blunt, and direct, because I have as little investment in whether or not you get offended as I do in whether or not supernatural stuff exists.

I don’t see the need. I’m not trying to change your mind. I’m not asserting ‘you are wrong to believe in that’. I’m not even seeking your input on whether or not such a thing exists.

All I am saying is that if you want to insert ‘souls’ into a discussion about ‘whose ways are better and why’, then before your ‘soul’ argument can be taken seriously, you need to demonstrate that there’s even a shred of substance to it.

Just like when I say (as an example), ‘Amarr slavery is bad because little girls are raised to be raped until their bodies give out’, and someone says it doesn’t happen, I can provide CONCORD’s official ‘yes, it does’ description of the breeding facilities. Before I can expect my position to be given any consideration, I have to be able to demonstrate that the thing I’m citing actually exists.

I see no reason to give metaphysical claims any special dispensation in that same conversation.

And that’s all this is about. Not about your beliefs, not about me seeking enlightenment—which, when I do, I don’t do it here, FFS. I ask my questions in person, discuss things over drinks, meals, just relaxing and doing deep dives into each others’ perspective1. Because doing that, opening up for real examination of the topic, of beliefs and fundamental truths… that takes trust, and trying to do that here is like offering everyone who hates you a gun, and a free shot between your eyes. Hell, you got Kybers, Sansha, and Napkins running around here.

And that’s why my discussion here is about the topics and points raised here. The topic in question, you’ll recall, is about “the absurd and abhorrent ways in which the people of the lesser empires choose to conduct themselves”, and the poster’s declaration that all who are not Amarr must change because ‘souls’.

And it’s great if she wants to believe in them. It’s great if you want to believe in them. But before that gets pushed on other people, there needs to be some support for it.

1. Some of the most productive discussions have taken place in the sauna, too. It’s very conducive to relaxing and letting the stress fade out while you contemplate deeper things.