Off-Topic Thread vol. 2

Learn what a freelancer is.

I presume not since she is not part of the Navy, but the Protectorate. Different organizations.

Also learn what a mercenary is.

1 Like

Ms. Remi, unfortunately, it seems that Capsuleer Dementia Syndrome can affect everone. People lose connection to reality and become drooling fools.

Usually I recognize damaged clone brains when they start calling me mercenary or something like that.

1 Like

Learn what a freelancer is.

freelance (plural freelances)

1. Someone who sells their services to clients without a long-term employment contract.

Describe a mercenary warrior or “free-lance” (indicating that the lance is not sworn to any lord’s services).

And if not this then why “pendulum swings” are possible?

And this is why I so much dislike all this CEMWPA thing. If empires want war then better for them to have balls for real war and to lead and control those who picked the side. If they don’t want war then why all this circus…

1 Like

Great, you found the definition, now, do you think this matches Commander Kim who, as far as I know, has remained employed under the Protectorate and affiliated organizations pretty much since her graduation? Seems pretty ‘long-term’ to me.

Yet it’s her actual choice. Which in fact makes her even more respectable. To keep loyalty no matter what… And I do respect Commander. I talked only about all those “militia wars”.

Isn’t it the choice of all SAF members beyond their compulsory service? Any member serving beyond that three-year period can resign at any point- just as Protectorate members can. They are indefinitely employed otherwise.

Yet they have orders still for disobeying of which they would be punished. I know, you didn’t noticed but when your triangle friends had fun there was mobilization. And say, would retired SAF officier be able to say “nope, sorry, don’t want to fight”? And capsuleer from Protectorate?

The Protectorate’s responsibilities lie elsewhere, and they do get punished and stripped of rank as punishment for violating their, admittedly pretty relaxed, directives.

Also, State Protectorate enlisted pilots are perfectly free to switch sides and enlist under the Federal Defense Union at a moment’s notice, which fits with the status of the old fashioned free lances very well.

We used to call them Condotta, a fairly respectable position but not the same as the Royal army.

Sidenote, but personally I am not sure what the problem with calling someone a mercenary or a privateer or “freelance” or whatever similar thing is. These are honorable professions and the niche of many well-respected clan.

Being a private military contractor of any sort does not imply you are obliged to take any job offered - quite the opposite, a lot of mercenaries are quite picky, and state outright they will not take contracts from a particular nation or people loyal to it, or will only take contracts in line of the goals of their home region, or that contracts against a particular allied bloc are out of the question.

1 Like

Absolutely, I work for a corp that provides ancillary services to an organisation that is the successor to one of Morthane’s old free companies and can assure you they take great pride in that heritage and reputation.

The only ‘problem’ is that DK insists she’s part of the State military proper. Which, obviously, she isn’t. She’s a mercenary being paid by the objective, not drawing any regular salary or subject to the normal chain of command or disciplinary measures.

Instead, at most, she gets dinged a few points on her scoreboard, which might result in loss of ‘rank’, but really makes absolutely no difference. No crime she can commit, no violation of orders, no act of aggression against the Caldari State or its allies, would be sufficient to see the State force her out of the warzone or imprison her. None of it impacts the potential for future promotion once she regains the right number of points.

None of it has any consequence whatsoever to her or her livelihood. Because she, like all militia pilots, is a mercenary in a paramilitary group, contracting with one of the empires until such time as the mercenaries feel like leaving. And, as you say, there is nothing dishonorable about that. It is a perfectly respectable and time-honored profession.

But not to her.

It’s not a question of it being insulting, it is merely inaccurate. A mercenary is a foreign third party only involved in a conflict for the rewards provided by the side they support. One can certainly find mercenaries in the service of all four militias, it just does not apply in this case.

I said “sidenote”. Not talking about Kim, now have any interest to. Don’t really get your obsession with her.

Eh, she’s a reliable chew-toy. In this context, though, she’s the matter they’re discussing, so I addressed the side note in the context of the current conversation.

ETA:

Mercenaries do not need to be foreign. Nor do they need to be involved only for the rewards provided. If you’re a paramilitary contractor, you’re a mercenary.

It depends.
First of all, calling someone a profession they don’t do is simple incorrect or straightforward lying. Would you like if I’ll call you a cook, a terrorist or a janitor, if you don’t do that job?

Second, for some peoples word ‘terrorist’ could be considered insulting, just as for others - word ‘mercenary’. For example, for me mercenaries are people who aren’t much different from pirates, and having an experiene of talking with certain person who was calling himself proudly ‘mercenary’, while straightforwardly betraying people who hiring him and then going into the most depraved group we know of - gurista pirates - I sort of have strong dislike to mercenaries in general. The name of that disgrace was something like Yaken, but it’s not really important.

The third, and hopefully, the last point, is that, unfortunately, these boards aren’t protected from simply depraved and toxic personalities that like to apply names to people whom they don’t belong for the sake of their own entertainment. And the example of me being called a ‘mercenary’ is only a little example of that mischief that this pollution brings here, and which I, obviously, notice the most. Of course there are many other examples (and others surely will notice more things that would be said about them instead - naturally), but as for me, they aren’t really worth that much attention.

Okay, not mercenary but freelance — will this be better? Returning to where we started today I must admit — I never delved into meaning of “mercenary” and used this word where I shouldn’t.

But my point was a bit different. I greatly respect you as a Warrior who fight for the State for oh so long… but I’m not sure if I can name the Caldari Officier a person who can withdraw, join opposite side and not being stripped from their rank after doing so. Too much freedom. While those in Navy, Peacekeepers, Army give themselves to the State entirely and they have no ability to do whatever they please, to change sides and even to simply leavy service at any minute. Why I would name all those in capsuleer militias free lances — still free, still unbound.

Again, I greatly respect you and even more so considering you being free yet still staying loyal. This is something of the great value. But here we are.

That’s a nonsence, really.

Every Caldari Officer can withdraw, run away and join opposite side. Grab a ship under your command, point it to the gate and you’re out in hostile territory before the Command knows it, then just go to your enemies and ask to serve them, hoping they won’t shoot you on contact.

But that we can doesn’t mean we WILL.
Because every Soldier of the State gave an Oath of Allegiance to the State.

Those who violate that are worse than scum. That’s the greatest dishonor one could have commit. They probably could live relatively safely abroad, but, you know… it’s just selling your honor, your friends, your life and your potential for something ins’t even comparable to what State can provide. It’s utter stupidity and utter disgrace. And if they for some reason return to the State, they’re just hunted down as an animals they are.

Peacekeepers simply don’t have ships to pull that.

But Navy, Protectorate? We all have ability to do that. And we do have Honor and Brains not to. Technically, any Navy pilot can just grab a ship and zip away with that to Guristas. But nobody sane will.

Yet for Protectorate Capsuleers it wouldn’t be a violation of law, that’s a point. They can go back and forth whenever and wherever they please. This is simply about independent capsuleers, CONCORD and CEMWPA.

But then again, this is also the reason to respect you even more.

For Capsuleers there is simply no violation of law by itself… Provided they’re only capsuleers and not Citizen Capsuleers. Citizens still have to oblige the law.

Oh, and when one gets into baseline sections of the State… in that case capsuleer “outlawing” can be turned against the violators, as if they sided with gurista or gallente, they can simply be shot down by guards even without a trial: crime is a crime and shall be punished, and the State doesn’t consider non-citizen capsuleers as legal entities to provide them judical services… or even minimal protection.

1 Like