Off-Topic Thread vol. 2

So every Tuesday … unless these boards are down for some reason

3 Likes

Looks to me more like every other day of week that ends with ‘y’.

Whenever someone assumes the partner in discussion is acting in poor faith, and not merely disagreeing out of being unwise or ill-informed or outright morally wrong, it is indeed best to withdraw from the discussion and I commend you for making that choice.

Should you wish to resume the exchange basing it on a respectful assumption that both of us are trying our best to actually communicate, you know where to find me. Maybe we even see in the party in question.

3 Likes

You seem to have provided Ms Malitia with the missing joke– an example, perhaps for your pet caitiff to learn from.

1 Like

You know, I really didn’t think you’d all get this openly petty and whiny so fast. I mean, I knew you’d get there, but really, I was expecting it to hold until the weekend, but noooooo. You guys. You guys are the joke. You and your reactions. Have you figured it out yet? Been through Aub yourselves?

I’m throwing the party, you morons. But you know, I’m told I have a brusque and often confrontational presence on the IGS. Usually by idiots who should’ve kept their yaps shut, of course, but that might seem a little confrontational.

ANYWAY: I’m throwing the party to celebrate my partner’s achievement and the establishment—in an officially-recognized way—of her new ‘normal’. We just had her make the announcement because we knew how you’d react… and, you know, the brusque and controntational thing. Frankly, she’s better at the ‘happy and inviting’ thing than I am, so she got to do the inviting.

And you all getting your knickers twisted? Damn, that’s been funny. Almost as funny as knowing how stupid you are for doing it, and knowing that you’ll react to this with accusations of covering for her, saying it wasn’t funny, and generally just continuing to be idiots who should keep their yaps shut. So please… have at it.

2 Likes

Maybe I should add ‘happy and inviting’ to my extensive list of admirable traits.

1 Like

I mean, it’s better than ‘made of the same nucleotides as Vaari’…

For the record, I think my post was hilarious before the reactions.

Yes, but you see, you weren’t being antagonized for the sake of antagonizing you. You were being antagonized by your own predisposition to see something as antagonistic.

For example: If you get a wedding invitation that says ‘come join us on our happy day’, do you get offended that someone is having the poor taste to throw a party about themselves?

People have occasions. Major moments in their life that they want to share with others, and they like to celebrate those happy moments. The idea that someone shouldn’t throw their own party to celebrate something momentous in their own life with other people… I mean, that’s just nuts.

What’s your alternative? Something good happened, so you… expect someone else to throw a party for you? That seems pretty damned selfish and entitled, doesn’t it?

A thing has happened. It’s an occasion that’s important to some of us, and cause for celebration. You’ve been invited to share in peoples’ happiness, entirely at your own discretion. Don’t want to, don’t have to. It’s all up to you.

“I’m happy, so I’m providing a bunch of free food, free drinks, and even a place to enjoy them if you guys want to come over and be happy with me.” I mean, that’s the essence of what her post was, after all.

And a bunch of you choose to take offense at that. No matter what my predictions about how you’d react would be, I don’t actually get to decide what you’re going to be mad about. The antagonism here is all you guys.

Honestly, I would’ve preferred you not make that choice. But ‘hope for the best, plan for the worst’, after all.

Anyway.

People are happy about a thing. They’re willing to give you free food and booze if you wanna be happy about it with them. Or you can go be butthurt. But if you choose the latter, I’m’a choose to laugh at you for it.

2 Likes

Also, happy cakeday. You should throw a party.

1 Like

I used to believe that not being invited to a party would cause offence and be regarded as a significant slight, when an invite was expected.

Today I learned that being invited to a party can also cause as much offence and outrage.

1 Like

It’s pretty par for the course. I’ve more or less had people attempting to shout me down constantly since I defected. It’s expected, really. The Amarr2 do tend to get quite upset when anyone else dares to talk.

The last event we held saw people complaining that I dare to disinvite them for their factional loyalties. My input in other matters was then disregarded on the basis that I’m clearly a self-centered arrogant hypocrite who cares only for herself. After all, only somebody concerned primarily with themselves would defect from a society where she had all the privilege in order to fight on behalf of one where she has none1 .

This one, we made more open in a way that satisfies safety concerns and allows people to participate if they really wish to do so in earnest. I had fun with it and played into a lot of the insults I received. They’re not going away, so I may as well have fun with them. People were once again outraged.

Thankfully, I really don’t care if my enemies are outraged by my basic existence. That’s more-or-less the thing that actually infuriates them so much. It doesn’t matter what I do, almost. They’ll always be angry. But, in my infinite magnanimity, I’ll allow them to be as angry as they please. After all, it’s easier for both of us if they take themselves out by bursting a blood vessel due to me doing trivial things.

1 - As an independent capsuleer, I obviously have some degree of privilege no matter where I am. But the point remains that I chose the harder path.

2 - Yes, not all of them. One in the thread was cordial.

2 Likes

And believe me, kids, she knows how to swing that magnanimity. :wink:

1 Like

It bothers me that footnote 2 occurs before footnote 1.

It was added in an edit after the fact.

Did not proofread essay before submitting. -5% from final grade.

2 Likes

Y’know, I don’t even have to mock this one. It’s calling you out, Aldrith, pretty specifically. Seeking truth only in the safety of what you’ve never let yourself question. Heeding only what weakness and hiding in the familiar have taught you. Weak of mind and heart, to never dare the ring of fire.

That said…

“Let me tell you a story;
And say all these things happened.
Then you get to go
And quote stuff about ‘those who bear witness to these Signs’
Like anyone alive three thousand years later
Even remotely qualifies.”
- The Scriptures, Book of Being Full of Fedo Farts 25:11

You are utterly correct faithful @Amicia_Cora, that is what I do. This world is so miserably drab and the summit is a great platform to broadcast rhetoric for ones own culture, mine as well. Would you in good conscience censor my own religion on these forums?

But come on? Don’t tell my you haven’t fallen asleep in Morning Mass at least once.

1 Like

I for one think that New Eden needs more of Julian’s “Gospel of the Absurd,” not less.

3 Likes

Ok, so, all kidding and mockery aside… and keep in mind, this is being assembled extemporaneously, so it won’t be as organized or coherent as it might be in a few hours. That said…

Doesn’t that, in and of itself, send up any red flags for you? Human beings have a lot of ways to deal with stress. One of them is humor. To recognize the absurdity of a thing is to acknowledge that that thing is at odds with the lived experience of your own perspective.

And the very idea of the Scriptures is absurd. Consider that the Scriptures tell us the Amarr God can bestow the gift of prophecy, and that divine prophecy differs from divination or speculation, because it’s inerrant. God normally says ‘Do X so that Y may happen’ in order to leave room for human fuckup, because when God says ‘X will happen’… then X will happen. Period. So God’s got this perfect predictive ability. And that’s absurd, in that it’s completely incongruous with our daily, lived experiences.

Then you’ve got this perfectly-predictive entity creating everything… but not happy with how it turned out. Uhm… what? Perfectly predictive, remember? ‘I want X’ + ‘perfectly predictive’ means that unless everything already is how God wanted it, then God chose to make something that wasn’t what he wanted? But… wouldn’t that mean he did want it like that, or he wouldn’t have chosen to make it how he did? Seeing the absurdity in that conundrum?

That kind of thing runs all through the entire underpinnings of all of it. And sure, there’s room for ‘we have a necessarily incomplete comprehension of things because our human minds simply can’t understand it properly’, but that, too, is an absurdity when we deal with it. It becomes ‘trust us, we know it’s right because we can’t know it’s right but the guy nobody’s ever met, who told us ‘you can’t possible understand this’ assures us he’s right’. And yeah… that’s pretty absurd.

So, deeply immersed in all of this absurdity… the Amarr can’t even laugh at it? They can’t say ‘lol, yeah, it doesn’t make sense, but you gotta have faith, man’?

Speaking as a semi-quasi-outsider (because while I’m not a member of the Amarr culture, my own culture has been deeply, permanently shaped by the Empire and it’s cultural beliefs… some might even say maimed and scarred by them), I’m actually surprised the Amarr took as long as they did to push a ‘Reclaiming’ to the point of open rebellion and implacable hate, and what you’re saying plays directly into that.

Forced conformity breeds simmering backlash. Sure, maybe eventually that gets attenuated to the point of fading out, but then you’re left with angry, bitter people who can’t fully realize themselves, because their entire life was shaped in terms of their sycophancy to ‘authority’, like Aldrith there. There’s no joy left in him, because everything he devoted himself to, he knows has been in service to liars and scoundrels. Other people making the choices he wishes he had the courage to make, he sees as betraying him, because they’ve left him stewing in his own self-hate.

Amarr can’t laugh at itself. It doesn’t dare, because if it starts acknowledging holes in the wool it pulls over its own eyes, someone might want to look through them. And loudly telling everyone not to question the ‘truth’… that’s a giant red flag in most places. If it’s True, it doesn’t need to be defended. It doesn’t need to be unquestioned. The truth of it will withstand all objections, without needing you to get there. Additional scrutiny only reveals truth… so anyone saying ‘we know the truth, stop questioning it’… doesn’t really want the truth, they just want the comfort of the familiar lie.

The way you spread a belief system that comes down to ‘look, neither you nor I can ever really understand, but you have to have faith’ is through example. Be the kind of person that others want to emulate. And being unable to laugh at yourself… I mean, that’s generally not part of it.

Amarr can’t laught at itself. That should scare the hell out of anyone trying to have any non-violent dealing with them. And it should scare the Amarr even more.

I mean, hell, you’re even making me agree with Sahara, and that should terrify just about everyone. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes