Off-Topic Thread vol. 2

There’s more than one Crown of Stupidity ?

The very fact that Diana thinks that is proof that I don’t have it.

2 Likes

Considering you again tried to guess what others think and failed so epically again - and as usual, it’s a proof it’s still yours, as it shows you have neither ability to comprehend, nor experience of learning on own mistakes. But alas, you won’t understand that either!

It’s just so amusing.

It’s also amusing like a pretender on your crown liked your post. There’s a saying that fools seldom differ.

No, you twit, we’re mocking you for using the indefinite article ‘a’, as in ‘a Crown of Stupidty’, which implies that there is more than one, rather than the definite article ‘the’.

Look at that! A tribal doesn’t know that there are multiple languages in the galaxy!

Imagine Arrendis face when she tries to speak with autotranslator off! How primitive mind she should have to believe everyone speaks in her own language that still uses such an archaic and useless concept as articles!

Modern and advanced languages for civilized people don’t have these.

Learn Napanii.

I’m well aware of the existence of multiple languages. I’m also aware that the autotranslator is quite adept at providing the requisite articles in proper context when the person using it is at all intelligent.

You had to really work at being dumb enough to make it screw up like that.

Muchas felicidades

I probably could explain to you how autotranslators work, but that would be a waste of my precious time on casting pearls in front of swines.

Yet it’s saying that your brain is too primitive to understand that not everything is given explicitly. And if your translator module or implant translates something to your stiff language and your unimaginative brain sticks to it like it was set in stone it is just… animalistic. An awkward combination of stupidity, willful ignorance and pathologic short-sightedness… I wonder who let your clones out? Did they pass even basic synaptic integrity tests?

See, now you’re doing it on purpose.

I was more meaning that I thought the Official™ IGS Crown of Stupidity was held by someone else and I don’t remember them giving it up, so the announcement that Arrendis was supposed to be the holder of it came as somewhat of a surprise.

Carry on, ladies.

What did I miss? Have someone actually managed to beat her in that?..

It is, but not a very happy one.

So … to be clear, while culturally I’m wholly an Achur, by blood I’m half-Civire. That’s not a pairing that’s widely approved of, officially or privately, either in the State or the Achura client-state. Mother, Yumiko Sujui, came from an old monk clan. Father, Sarth Jenneth, was from the Caldari Laborer caste, a SuVee spaceport hand.

I don’t know how they met. I do know that Mother’s family, the Sujui, didn’t approve at all-- not just the mixing of bloodlines, but also Jenneth, personally-- and cut her off, leaving her (and, in time, little me) socially and financially isolated, dependent on Father.

That might still have been okay if they’d been wrong about Father.

Like a lot of Caldari he was a hard drinker, and that whole “focused aggression” thing the Civire encourage … well, in a way I’m making excuses for him now. The upshot is he got drunk and beat her. I can’t say how often; maybe it even only really happened the once. An Achur national living illegally in a Caldari city isn’t well-advised to leave much of an information trail I guess.

What’s a lot clearer is that one day Sarth Jenneth lost his position. His anger and frustration is maybe understandable; he was abruptly out of work and maybe in danger of losing his citizenship and becoming a nonentity. What’s less-understandable is that he expressed that anger by getting drunk, coming home, and beating Mother to death before my seven-year-old eyes.

So, yeah, on the list of “things I’m just as glad I don’t remember,” that one’s kind of at the top.

After that, Father went into the SuVee court system and I went into the creche. It took the Sujui a year to finally decide to lift the ban on Mother and recognize me as kin. I guess SuVee wasn’t all that unhappy to see a half-bred daughter of a murderer go and didn’t put up much of a fuss, so I got recognized as a monk clan member and citizen of the Achura client-state. And off I went.

Not that the Sujui were very enthused to have me, either, of course. From what I can gather I was an embarrassment to Mother’s parents: proof of their inability to control their daughter. Apparently I kind of alternated between living at the temple compound and a series of private boarding schools. None of it went all that well, but I guess somewhere along the line I decided I was going to prove myself to them, no matter what-- prove I wasn’t useless, or weak.

Given how I went about it I can maybe kind of infer I was also about ready to kill someone. Client peoples aren’t permitted at the State War Academy, so I adopted the Caldari culture (assuming we survive, eggers can’t practically be prevented from reverting, after) and achieved State citizenship (which must have been a bit of a challenge for a person of mixed blood, so I really must have worked at it).

I attended academy with support from the Sujui, who probably thought this was a great idea. I graduated, and within a couple years had become a leader of a pirate corporation dedicated to the Angel Cartel.

That was my “predecessor.” The details of her career are a whole series of other stories probably, only of course I don’t remember. To this day I sometimes run into people who knew her, and who don’t know I’m not really … “her” … anymore. It’s especially awkward when they were friends.

One story I do know for certain is the one that brings this tale full circle: that one day my predecessor paid a visit back home, to rural Achura and the Sujui.

As you know, Achur monks of all sects practice martial arts, and I guess a part of a homecoming even of so mixed a blessing as my piratical predecessor might be a testing of what one has learned, or forgotten, during time away. And so it was.

Only, during a sparring match, I guess my predecessor experienced a flash of murderous anger, took an opening, and snapped Grandfather’s neck between her ankles. So died the Sujui clan patriarch. Easily explained as an accident, but my predecessor was always very clear that it was murder: vengeance for Mother’s abandonment, and for her own miserable childhood.

Satisfying, no doubt, but it made her … us … me … something far worse than guri, possibly even worse than a traitor: a kinslayer, one who has killed family, murdered her own ancestor.

Probably, I deserve to die for that, as Father ultimately did: executed for Mother’s murder. But I’m not quite prepared to take responsibility in such a way for my part in a story I can no longer remember experiencing any part of.

At the same time, it’s not like even total forgetfulness cleanses all wrongs. So, as much as I want to fill my eyes and memories with sights once familiar, the closest I will ever come to Achura is orbit. A small and insufficient way of taking responsibility for such a grave crime. But it’s what I can accept.

Out of respect for both the dead and the living, I can never go home again.

There’s more, but that’s kind of … what “made” my predecessor, sort of, I think. As for my memories, and why I don’t share that background exactly … my predecessor went missing, close to ten years ago now. I mentioned she was running a corporation loyal to the Cartel? Well, she, maybe, wasn’t quite so loyal to them, personally. She’d been trying to filch secrets: Jovian tech, that kind of stuff. I guess at some point she went on the run.

About six and a half years ago, someone hacked a clone bay archive containing an old backup copy of her (yes, that’s famously extremely difficult). They wiped the sectors related to personal memories-- just scrambled them into digital noise, which would write to a clone as a complete blank. They left everything else intact. Then they initiated a download to a clone. They overrode the automatic termination failsafes that were supposed to biomass the clone once the corruption was detected and blackmailed the staffer on duty to stop him terminating manually.

Basically they made sure I became pretty clearly “a person” before anybody could do anything about it. And since my predecessor’s missing, there was no one to contest my legal right to this identity.

I haven’t had trouble from the Cartel, myself, so it’s not too hard to guess I’m probably a project of theirs, probably bait to lure my predecessor out of hiding. Either way, it’s been years now and there’s still no sign of her. Maybe she’s dead after all. Maybe not.

Either way, that’s how I came to be a person (revised and edited) instead of an archive.

5 Likes

That is a very interesting point, Ms Kim. I would argue that capsuleer on capsuleer combat is a very flawed metric for fear. However, let me pose some examples and see what your beliefs truly are:

• An FC never loses a battle against tremendous odds but never gets on as many killmails as their fleet members - who is to be more feared?

• Would you rather have angered the best FC in the CFC or The Mittani?

• The best hunter in the cluster has vowed to seek you down and kill you at every possibility. They can only do this because you angered the richest industrialist in the cluster and they have agreed to bankroll the hunter with near infinite ISK. Who should be more feared?

But, let’s assume combat records are not problematic at all as a metric. In the past week, Templis CALSF have destroyed 151 ships. That’s less than half of the ‘dead’ alliance of CODE. and less than a third of Safety. - should they be feared more than Templis CALSF?

Or do we focus on the difference in value between ships destroyed and ships lost… because Templis CALSF lose again. Or do we focus on lack of lost ships? If so, I better than all three alliances!

The wisest thing you have ever said was:

It’s just a shame you aren’t self-aware enough to understand what this really means.

I am flying under one of the best fleet commanders in New Eden, who is way better than Mittani and who certainly has way more kills than me.

Your point is invalid.

Well, I am not a jerk like you to anger people without any reason, whomever they would be.
On the other hand, if he would do something against me or us, for sure the reply will follow - again whomever he would be.

I have Honor, I do not attack first, but for sure I am leaving no assault unanswered.

Besides, I frankly CBA much about CFC and Mittani - they aren’t authorities for me at all, I am soldier of the State, some nullseccers aren’t in my sphere of interests.

The hunter, of course. One who has both skills and personal motivation is way more dangerous than someone who will be tossing isk around in impotent rage for a job nobody would dare to take. Just isks are a mediocre motivation.

Don’t be obtuse like that. We all know who CODE are and that they always lose. That they don’t record their losses on the combat record doesn’t mean they don’t lose almost every ship in highsec whenever they come to fight.

Congratulations. I hope you are very happy together but that doesn’t answer my question. If an FC never loses a fight but gets on less killmails that their fleet, who should be feared more? The FC or the line member?

Again, you didn’t answer my question but let me try another one. Who has the strategic advantage? The fleet with the more experience or the fleet with three times the numbers?

Finally an answer! You see, I would argue that if the Hunter needs bankrolling, they can only ever be as feared as their benefactor is. If you can’t afford a ship, you can’t hunt anything. Meanwhile, had I enough ISK I could hire 5, 10, 20 plus hunters to purely focus on targeting you every time you undocked…

Not that it looks like you have undocked much recently based on your combat logs, Ms Kim. Please don’t get me wrong, I believe some of the most dangerous people in the cluster never set foot on a ship. However, by your metrics, that rather makes you the pussycat, does it not?

You know Mittens isn’t an FC, right? He doesn’t even have battleship keys. The comparison point you’re looking for is Mister Vee, and no, no-one you fly with is in his league.

1 Like

Your question surely lacks depth, since it’s more complicated and not as plain as you’re imagining.
If the line member is a fire button monkey and gets kills only when led by others, surely you shouldn’t take them into consideration.
If a line member can perform own operations you should compare that with operations of FC, would it be a small wing leader, or a solo fighter - they can be way more dangerous than those who lead huge fleets. And again, said FC could lead only huge fleets, could lead small fleets, or they could be like our FC who can do everything and even win tournaments, then of course that FC shall be feared more than anyone else.

I believe I have answered it in full.

1. I wouldn’t anger anyone without a reason, would it be leading FC of CFC or a janitor working on my deck.
  2. I would anger anyone disregarding their positions if they did fragged up. Again, would it be FC of CFC or janitor working on my deck*

Depends. Certainly depends. With all equal other parameters of course larger numbers are superior. ON THE OTHER HAND… I remember when we in fleet with less than a dozen batleships were killing fleets of about hundred battleships. Again, your questions simply lack depth.

You’re just petty and if deep fact analysis is beyond your grasp, well, go ahead, come and fight me, lets see…

* with exclusion to actual authorities I am submissive to, namely: FC of the fleet I am in, leadership of corporation, alliance, coalition, or superior Navy officers, including leaders of the Mega I am citizen of.

By the stars I think she’s got it! You see, this was exactly my point. You can’t solely look at a combat record to determine who is an interesting pilot because, even in a battle, it is hard to decypher who is the lynchpin of the attack - let alone if we scale it up to the cluster at large!

I shall leave you be for now but I’m glad you are coming around to my way of thinking, Ms Kim.

It’s where you start to do your study, dun-dun-dun.

After all, it is an indicator, not a scary face. Just like you cant say if it’s acid or base in your solution because it has a green color! (Omg it’s green, should be acidic!) but you’d rather use litmus to find out if it’s acid or base - and it’s color will give you a hint. Yet to find actual strength of a base or acid (or what exact acid or base there is in a solution) you will have to do thorough analysis.

I mean… for anyone smarter than a boot it should be quite obvious I didn’t try to give people instruction to measure like everything about the pilot based on just record which is not even complete, yet here you jump in to argue over nothing. It’s just a ‘first derivative’, if you wish, and it’s amusing that I actually had to spell it out.

Considering your desire to do this nonsence, I think you are pretty close to steal crown from Arrendis.

If you’re not willing to call out your superiors when they screw up, you’re asking them to do it repeatedly.

2 Likes