Off-Topic Thread vol. 2

With the level of mental gymnastics this woman goes through every day, I’m sure she’d be an instant Mind Clash champion.

How many solar systems have the Minmatar whisked away from the State into an alternate dimension where they perform biological experiments on State Citizens, again? Please clarify this matter for me.

4 Likes

If you’re another pretender to steal a crown of stupidity from arrendis, please do that without involving me into your competitions.

Thanks in advance.

That’s an insult, not an answer. Please answer my question and do not dodge.

1 Like

They have been more open about it since Catiz. But no, they did not really ever stop using that moniker.

And why should they? From their perspective, we are the rebel provinces, and it will take much longer than a generation or two of Holders for that to pass. I prefer the honesty.

2 Likes

I could imagine a session of CONCORD inner circle with Imperial representative starting their speech with:
“And greetings also to the representative of our Rebel Provinces. Today lets discuss how to get you back into the fold.”
Wasn’t really happening, was it? :smiley:
On the other hand, I believe I heard Minmatar abassador actually was bringing into the discussion the topic of Imperial slavery. Imperial. Slavery. Inside Empire, not Republic. By representative of the Republic, not the Empire… great, huh? And I believe that also happened right before the Elder invasion.

Something like that happens all the time. The Empire has, in fact, already divided Minmatar territories among its great Houses.

Usually in the diplomatic chambers it is more veiled, but even the little glimpses to the dances the Inner Circle does around this that we as the general public get are something to behold, so it must be quite the show behind closed doors.

It is what it is, and I doubt there is anyone on any higher diplomatic levels, on either side, who does not know this.

1 Like

It isnt just in the Empire. They still launch slaving operations into the Republic to this day. I’ve foiled a few of them

1 Like

I heard a State leader talk about claims to a Federation planet in the Luminaire system. Inside the Federation, not the State. That happened right before the Invasion of Caldari Prime. Sounds like you should be ranting about how horrible Heth was, too.

Please don’t start Diana on her hero-worship of Heth. Some of us would like to retain our dinners…

1 Like

A correct version I find.

If I saw someone trip and fall on a live grenade meant for me and die in the process saving my own life I would say that is unfortunate for them, but fortunate for me. I would not feel honoured because there was no intention to save my life beyond happenstance. I would not attribute motive or intent over an accident.

By the same token I would not attribute motive or intent that just because Republic actions are fortuitous for the State that there was a desire to act in the interests of the State, and which was not just the result of happenstance.

However, if the Republic wants a meaningful relationship with the State then they should take steps to do so. For me it is interesting to compare the Imperial relationship towards the State which has always been in good faith, respectful, honest, and beneficial for both parties materially to Minmatar who so far in my dialogue with them have only tried to play on fear, goad, and imply debts of honour – all of which I would consider coercive attempts.

If the Republic and Minmatar want to demand everything, but offer nothing in return I do not see what interest the State could possibly have in changing the present status quo.

1 Like

A very self-serving version, I find. And honor is not, generally, self-serving. Honor places demands upon the honorable. It doesn’t, as a rule, go looking for or offering excuses. It restricts behavior, adds burdens and obligations, and generally acts to impede the attitude of ‘I am willing to watch others die if it benefits me’.

If I saw someone trip and fall on a live grenade meant for me, and die in the process, I would go and find that person’s family and offer them my deepest condolences and gratitude. And I would make it very clear that if they ever had need of me, I would answer that need. My life, at that point, only continues because their loved one does not.

Has it? Would you consider someone smiling and telling you ‘I am your friend’ while planning to kill you and enslave your children to be acting in good faith, then?

Do you consider all conversation about topics where people disagree to be coercive? Tell me, how do you convey to someone ‘this is not good for you, and will harm you in the long run’ in a non-coercive way? As for implied debts of honor… you were the one who framed things in terms of sacrifice.

By doing so, you were the one who implied a debt of honor. I’ve simply been discussing the matter with you so that I can properly understand you, and highlight what I consider to be the flaws in your position for others who might be observing. I have absolutely no illusions about a member of an Amarr-loyalist corporation’s willingness to actually consider the potential danger the Amarr Empire represents, let alone think that discussing such matters with you could ever influence the State’s policy-makers.

Frankly, they don’t give a rancid fedo fart about us or our opinions.

And pray, what demand has been made? Hm?

A suggestion has been made that perhaps the State would be better off, overall, aligned with the Republic and not the Empire. However, part and parcel of that is the Republic no longer being aligned with the Federation, but rather actively standing ready to defend the State against the Fed. And, as has been pointed out, should the Fed attack the State, the Empire would still feel compelled to assist in the defense, lest the Federation’s power come to outstrip their own. So I fail to see how there is any kind of ‘demand everything, but offer nothing in return’.

So again, please, demonstrate how anything has been demanded, with nothing offered.

1 Like

It does yes, however the demands of honour also require agency and choice – one can choose to act honourably or dishonourably – and so the intention behind choices also matter. There is no intention in accidents, for the nature of an accident is that they were beyond the conscious decision of those involved.

In going to war with the Empire the Republic has made no claim that it was out of a desire to defend Caldari lives, it was out of their own self-interest. They did not choose to act honourably towards Caldari, even if in so doing their own self-interest provides some utility to the State.

If I had evidence an ertswhile friend was planning to kill me and enslave my children I would say they were not acting in good faith towards. I would need evidence of such before making such accusations however.

I did use the term sacrifice because I was being glib. I am no position to ask the Minmatar to make sacrifices on my own behalf, however if by their own choices their deaths serve a purpose for the State then I am satisfied for them to make those choices.

I see nothing wrong with the status quo that has existed for the past century under CONCORD. While I can admit there’s always the potential for more militant segments of the Amarr Empire to promote war against the State in the absence of the Republic or Federation; there is equally a chance for the Federation and Republic together seeking war against the State in the absence of the Amarr Empire.

As such the best position for the State right now in my view would be seeking to maintain interstellar affairs as they are and have been.

Any alliance between the State and Republic would at the very least require there to be the building of rapport between both sides and presently I don’t see the political leadership on either side having much will to do so.

Caldari Prime IS Caldari homeworld, you twit. I can’t believe anyone doesn’t know that still, even names show so. Caldari Prime. Caldari State. Can you see that? Do you need to compare each letter?..
Moron.

Yes, the intentions behind your choice. My honor does not depend upon your intentions, save in restricting my responses. If you do me ill, you do me ill. If you do me well, you do me well.

And yet, you close your eyes to the evidence from their own mouths and scriptures.

You were. And I advised against such. Everything beyond that has been a discussion of your philosophy, not an attempt to sway you at all.

That’s nice. But once again, you were the one who indicated there were demands being made. I’d like you to support that. Or were you simply being glib again?

My politics are indeed situational.

I would love to live in a cluster where I did not have to care about anyone but the Sebiestor Tribe, and even then rarely of anyone outside Sundsele. Where when we came under multiple threats we’d simply fight all of them, on our own, and win.

Just as I don’t live in a cluster where it matters who I like or not, I do not live in a cluster where I can just draw hard lines like you suggest, and refuse to ever co-operate with anyone I find the least bit distasteful.

I want my people to live. Preferably, I want them to live free. And for that end I have just one immutable policy: “whatever it takes, never again another Long Night”.

Yes, it means I am with Edencom now. But it is not like I am Edencom by primary loyalty. I lead the SoERR, and I’ve grown to share some of the Sisters’ beliefs, but I am not SoE. I am Shaninn, Rhiannon, Sebiestor, and in a mutable cluster what I do to protect those loyalties depends, indeed, on the situation.

The alternate timeline where we aligned with the Collective to shoot Amarr first is only a hair’s breadth away from this one. It might still be this one, in the future.

You want to see hypocrisy in that. You set up a standard of immutability, you want to base politics on who is whose sworn enemy, you want me to show “consistency” by always attacking everyone I’ve ever said I’m opposed to. But those are your standards, not mine.

And it’s not like this is something I’m exactly trying to hide from anyone, ally or foe. I am willing to make temporary truces and mutable alliances, and I will always put the security of the free tribes first. People will use that, absolutely. The Amarr, the Feds, the more anti-capsuleer factions in Thera. Does not matter to me. It goes both ways.

As they say, sue me.

6 Likes

No I was not being glib. I would say I conflated the position as I saw it of Minmatar commentators trying to change my position as a policy stance of the Republic on the whole. An error on my part.

Then it would seem your comparison between the ‘honest’ ‘good faith’ relations with a nation that calls itself your friend, while telling its own people that everyone who is not of Amarr must be brought to heel, and a nation that demands everything, but offers nothing, is fatally flawed on more or less every point, doesn’t it?

I would say the State alliance with the Empire has provided strategic and economic benefits for the past century. The Empire has invested militarily and economically in the interests of the State in order to strengthen its friendship with the Caldari people.

I can only judge the Empire on what it has actually done, and to that end it has always been friendly towards the State.

While I can understand the Minmatar have a different experience of the Amarr, it is not one shared by Caldari.

3 Likes

It says there are 128 posts since I last visited this thread. Are any of them worth reading ?

• Yes
  • No
  • Maybe
  • Hasn’t Kaztropolis Imperial University finished up for the end of year anyway, so it’s not like you have anything else to do but read the IGS ?
  • Checkbox

0 voters