Off-Topic Thread vol. 2

It all depends on how you draw the lines along which you categorize. You choose to categorize to allow yourself to be disappointed, because that allows you to say, “I have been right about this all along.”

That, though, is neither how politics nor trade work. Nor war, for the matter.

Stop putting ■■■■■■■ words in my mouth.

Not that Samira’s doing that, but… that’s actually exactly how politics usually works. Politicians decide what thing they want, and then publicly spin events to line up with their positions, even if privately, they’re working to cut some kind of deal.

1 Like

It’s maybe what politicans do, but that doesn’t mean it’s how politics works.
Mostly, that’s the reason for why politics doesn’t work.

No, the reason politics doesn’t work is because people refuse to recognize that politics is just human beings interacting in groups larger than one. All of the crap that people hate about politics? Yeah, that really is how it’s ‘supposed’ to work, because it’s just people being people, and people are shite.

That’s an oxymoronic statement if I ever heard one. If that’s what politicans do to do their job, then that’s how politics is done. Thus, how politics works.

Let me suggest a trade: You try to stop spinning everything that happens in the Empire into a narrative that vilifies the Empire and I try to stop imputing you with the motive of doing so to feel vindicated in your cynical view of the Empire.

I think we have found the Empire’s equivalent to Arrendis.

2 Likes

No thanks.

The Empire has vilified itself. I’d rather be able to defend it, and speak well for it. It is the Empire’s own actions that have made that impossible.

It’s not what they do to do their job, it’s what they do because it’s expedient to them.
The actual job of a politican would be, though, to do what is good for the polity they should serve.

The definition of “what’s good for the polity I serve” varies from person to person and need not be mutually exclusive with the politician’s self interests.

Who are you, and what have you done with the real Tyrel Toov ?

The Tyrel Toov I know mostly just flexes his muscles and steals Dietra’s sandwiches, and doesn’t post profound thought provoking statements on the IGS.

1 Like

I may or may not have been stealing vess’s sandwich while posting that.

2 Likes

While that are two true statements, those definitions then are but nominal definitions and not real definitions. Also, I made a point to differentiate between what is expedient and what is good for a reason.

Actually, as the politicain is part of the polity he serves everything that is good for the polity they serve must be within the politicans self interest, if ‘self interest’ is understood properly.

No, that’s what the goal of a poltician should be. The job of the politician is to seek to achieve that goal by politicking.

Same difference.

Not at all. One is ‘what’, the other is ‘how’. And those are very different things.

The goal of a firefighter is to do what is good for the community they serve. The job of a firefighter is put out fires.

Mithra what exactly do you propose the Republic and Federation do to show their displeasure with imperial policy and possibly sway said policy?

Would you rather we concentrate on economic and diplomatic means or for the Republic and Federation start a cluster-wide war that would kill us all?

1 Like

Same difference doesn’t mean that it is the same thing, it means that it amounts to the same thing in the end. Like: It’s not the same if you have ten apples of which I take 5 away and if you have 6 apples and I take 1 away. In both cases you’re left with 5 apples.

And I say the difference matters.