Omega ads everywhere

So you think its pathetic that when you try to do something that requires an omega clone that it points out you need to pay to get an omega clone?

Not sure if serious or fedo

2 Likes

Yes. It’s extremely pathetic and immersion breaking.

Actually I just tried to check how many datacores I could get out of this agent once I’m omega again, which isn’t happening very soon now.

Well, how much worth is the opinion of a community that thinks littering every menu of the game with ads is great really?

You are missing the point a bit. Where in the omega ad banner does it say that level 4 agents are omega only? It is a generic ad banner that pops up without any context if you click on some point in a drop down menu.

It’s extremely lazy, desperate and actually pathetic

What grudge am I holding? I’m pointing out stuff that really turns me off (and probably not just me) and how it makes this game and CCP look. I’m hope you don’t think you are doing CCP or the game a service with your knee jerk reaction towards legitimate criticism that the game is putting shitty ads into your face at every opportunity. This is not normal, I have never before seen anything like this in a quality game.

Look kid. I make it simple for you: If your game looks like a ■■■■■■■ store front it’s probably not going to sell more subs. I’m not complaining about how much it costs, or that they want money for the game. I’m complaining about ads at every corner of the game completely breaking immersion and the rather pathetic look it gives this game.

Removed post for being inappropriate - please keep it civil…

1.Specifically restricted conduct.

The purpose of the EVE Online forums is to provide a platform for exchange of ideas, and a venue for the discussion of EVE Online. Occasionally there will be conflicts that arise when people voice opinions. Forum users are expected to courteous when disagreeing with others.

In order to maintain an environment where everyone is welcome and discussion flows freely, certain types of conduct are prohibited on the EVE Online forums. These are:

Trolling
Flaming
Ranting
Personal Attacks
Harassment
Doxxing
Racism & Discrimination
Hate Speech
Sexism
Spamming
Bumping
Off-Topic Posting
Pyramid Quoting
Rumor Mongering
New Player Bashing
Impersonation
Advertising
1 Like

The only valid complaint you could have made here is that the pop-up fails to adequately describe why it occurred. Valuable feedback would be to observe that the window would be less confusing if it included a simple alert like ‘The content you are trying to access is Omega only.’ somewhere. However, you didn’t post constructive criticism, you just complained about it occurring and painted it in the worst possible light. Are you really surprised you are getting the responses you did?

I’m surprised an ISD hasn’t locked it as a rant, honestly.

1 Like

Because it isn’t?

I’m seriously astonished about the magnitude of the knee jerk reaction the EVE community has if someone points out a problem which touches on the monetization aspect. People should maybe take a step back and think if this over the top ad storm really increases the confidence of alpha pilots to put money into the game or if it just screams P2W.

Just as a comparison: When I play ESO which is produced by one of the companies that just trows every imaginable monetization option into their game, even they manage to not push that fact into my face on every opportunity. I can have a relatively immersed play session without encountering any of that stuff except maybe on the login screen.

Ever player knows that this options exist. It’s on the launcher, on the login screen, when you login, on the character sheet, on every damn module and ship. It’s impossible to miss. You don’t have to shove that ad into my face during normal gameplay when I click some option in a drop down menu.

How hard is that to understand that this is really dumb, looks greedy af. This is really mobile game level bs.

1 Like

You continue to insist that this is an attempt at advertising. It is not - it is a notification that the content you are trying to access is restricted to paying customers, with an opportunity to unlock said content.

Is it badly executed due to lack of descriptive text? Yes.

Is it money-grabbing invasive advertising? No.

1 Like

Hmmm…now I am a bit concerned why I am not seeing these things… I don’t recall seeing such ads with my alpha, nor other types of pushy ads with my omegadudes… Perhaps I ignore and don’t pay attention to them from habit…or maybe the many redundant layers of ad-blocking and privacy stuff I run on my gaming machine interferes with their display somehow(?..but adverts would be in the separate EvE client, so why would…?..oh I dunno)

In any case, I don’t see much problem in principle with a game company trying to get FTP-folk to pay for the product they make - but at the same time can completely believe good ol’ ccp might implement that in a really annoying and/or clumsy way.

You are not someone I have seen to be a complainer, Karak, so I’m tending to take your concern here as potentially more valid…I just don’t see (or notice, perhaps?) them.

If one tries to access Omega-restricted content of the game it kind of makes sense to tell the player how he/she can upgrade to be able to access said content.

Would it make more sense to just not let alpha players access said content and don’t tell them why they can’t ?

alpha
When a Omega expires we only have to move our mouse cruiser over the icon without even wanting to board ship.

Well, you’ve just proven my point.

It’s clear, now by your own words, that you’re doubling down on something that’s clearly not random advertising, but just a process that offers you the chance to upgrade to Omega to continue to do what you were trying to do.

Feel free to be all upset and feel that somehow the game is doing you wrong… lol.

I don’t think you actually had one

Did I say it is doing me wrong? I said it is annoying, immersion breaking and kinda pathetic that this has to be done in such a mobile game esq stile.

I don’t care what the alpha restrictions are. It would be ok if the option is just grayed out and informs in a tool tip that this agent is only available for omega, the ad is just over the top.

Feel free to disagree. That doesn’t make my viewpoint that this cheapens the experience and creates an overall pathetic look for the game not less valid.

I cannot say about current state but when I was playing every window you open had had signs Omega everywhere. Like, skill window, market window, others.
When you start the client after you login sometime the first window was the window with incredible sale offerings with plex and subscriptions.

Need to say people these days so used to ads so they do not see it even in front of them. Or how you put it “easily ignore”. But it does not in any way says that there is no ads. Even if these ads are not needed, they are there. Because it is easier to implement and drug dependency needs to be kept.

1 Like

Hmm, it’s possible the pop up window might show ads to alphas, idk. The only time I’ve seen that popup, it had been for in-game events.

The rest of those omega symbols aren’t technically ads. They’re telling you what ships and items are omega restricted or not… Okay, I did just check them on an alpha account, and they do have tooltips that have an “upgrade” button. But it’s not exactly an add, and not exactly in your face.

Regardless, it’s not a matter of being so used to them that we don’t notice them; it’s that we literally don’t see that upgrade tooltip or ads in the popup window.

Anyway, I still don’t think what they’ve done is particularly egregious. I mean, I see what you’re saying, but I still think that it’s easily ignored. And, you can always get rid of it by going omega and supporting the game. You’ll still see the omega symbols, but no more “upgrade” tooltips.

1 Like

I’m sorry, but you must be wrong.

OP clearly states that these ads are littered everywhere. How do you manage not to see these ads everywhere? Are you blind? OP clearly states they are EVERYWHERE.

You’re just making this up, Jones … right?

Hell, even I’m wrong. I’m Alpha and whenever I play I don’t get to see them.
I don’t know what’s wrong with me. OP states they’re EVERYWHERE.
Maybe my game is broken. And yours as well. Damn. :frowning:

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s why I said “people nowadays are too accustomed to seeing ads”. You have just said the same. They are there but you don’t mind because you are used to see and ignore it.

I don’t like this because the same way people get learn to get used to anything powers want them to. And the history of humankind has shown it many times. What was egregious once becomes norm and people wonder how is it even possible for others to accept and follow it.

I received the following message in my inbox
:small_red_triangle::small_red_triangle_down::small_red_triangle_down:TOTALITY: REALIZED​:small_red_triangle::small_red_triangle::small_red_triangle_down:
You received this email because you have registered for an EVE Online account. If you have questions about the contents of this email, please contact Customer Support via the [Help Center] If you wish to stop receiving emails from EVE Online in the future, then please follow this link: [Unsubscribe]

First time receiving such message, I am concerned as it is telling me Download EVE Portal now and Stay connected. It does appear to have come from eveonline@email.ccpgames.com

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.