Personality Experiment

I still cant see what ethnicity or marriage status has to do with the things the test proports to quantify. Any ideas?

Primary Playstyle: Industry
Preferred Region: Highsec and Lowsec
Secondary Playstyles: Exploration
Extraversion: 11
Agreeableness: 78
Conscientiousness: 32
Neuroticism: 26
Openness: 88

1 Like

There is a reason Wikipedia isn’t an accepted source of info in academic writing. :slight_smile:

Don’t think those are used to generate scores. Researchers will analyse the results and write stuff like 44% of married males living in Antartica aged 65+ score highly in agreeableness.

Hmm I thought this was…

Im not sure ethnic profiling is fun.
But I could be wrong.

Now let’s say you’re Spanish and don’t look like this:

But rather like this:

Would that be Caucasian or Hispanic? :thinking:

1 Like

Skin, hair or eye color doesn’t matter, it’s all about cultural heritage.

My Grandfather and his family relatives were born in Sicily. He has dark skin, hair and eyes. At the age of 13, he and his brother were sent to the east coast of America to learn the family business. When he was 18, he was sent to the west coast but before he entered California, he had to get married to an Italian woman that was pre-arranged by the family.

My Grandmother and her family was born in Northern Italy. She has light skin, hair and eyes. She was sent from Italy to meet my Grandfather in Nevada, get married and then enter California.

They are both Italian. They had 3 sons and 1 daughter. My dad was the first born, he has light skin, hair and eyes. His 2 brothers, my uncles, have dark skin, hair and eyes. His sister, my aunt, also has light skin, hair and eyes.

All of them are full Italian.

YG’s right.

Racial recognition varies greatly outside of a culture.

Compare US ‘races’ to Brazil.

The system is useful in the US for demographics, because it’s part of our culture, but it doesn’t always translate to elsewhere easily.

–Census Officer Gadget

1 Like

Citation needed, so I can go and poke holes in it.

That said, I’ll play along:
Extraversion - 49th percentile - about average
Agreeableness - 83rd percentile - very high
Conscientiousness - 75th percentile - high
Neuroticism - 48th percentile - about average
Openness - 98th percentile - extremely high

I’m a wormhole space PVPer, (scout/tackler/dps and solo ganks)

Also a note on your methodology… by asking people to respond on a public forum (or not to) you are selecting for ‘openness’

4 Likes

Eh you can go look into some academic journals. It’s not perfect, but it has high reproducibility and reliability across urbanized cultures. It hasn’t been tested much on hunter gatherer cultures or highly rural cultures, but for most “modern” populations it’s pretty universal. Also, the trait Conscientiousness is extremely predictive of lifelong success in work and other things. I expect it will be tweaked or replaced in the future, but at least 3 of its traits will be sticking around. Anyways look it up. It’s pretty widespread because of its predictive utility.

Edit: And yeah selection bias is definitely a factor here. Keep in mind this is more of a “fun” post not a rigorous experiment. And for everyone caught up on the racial stuff just skip it. I did.

Heh I should have misspelled my post or started with a hypothesis that certain Playstyles are more skill intensive than others so I could bait people low in Agreeableness. XD

1 Like

I question the value of any test where people self report; Some people may think that they are a deep thinker, for example, when any outside viewer might be able to see otherwise, never mind the whole “politically liberal people tend to be smarter and enjoy art and music more than those on the conservative side” thing that this test throws there.

All that said, though, despite just returning after a long absence so not having really established a long pattern of any playstyle, I’ll provide the info…

Primary Playstyle: Mission runner, I guess, if that counts.

Preferred region: Gallente Space, for now anyway, seeing as how I am focusing on a Gallente character. If I had to pick a specific in-game region, then Essence is where I have spent the most time so far.

Secondary playstyles: Mining, I guess? I usually grab some ore when some shows up in my mission area.

Extraversion: 8

Agreeableness: 11

Conscientiousness: 45

Neuroticism: 55

Openness: 44

2 Likes

No you’re wrong, just like Yiole Gionglao is wrong in saying:

Anyway, guess you didn’t read the post I made about my Italian relatives. The way a person looks, the color of their skin, hair and eyes doesn’t define their nationality or heritage. Especially since Hispanic is used to refer to modern Spain, to the Spanish language, and to the Spanish-speaking nations of the world and particularly the Americas.

Primary Playstyle: Help Channel
Preferred Region: Bob space
Secondary Playstyles: Bob Marley
Extraversion: 4-20
Agreeableness: 4.20
Conscientiousness: 4/20
Neuroticism: 420
Openness: 420 and willing to share?

4 Likes

I agree on the politics bit. It’s not handled well in the explanation. Openness isn’t really thst correlated with intelligence. It’s more closely correlated with creativity. Loosely speaking, you see politically liberal people trend higher in openness and lower in Conscientiousness. The reverse is true for conservatives. However these are merely trends. Individual variations will always exceed demographic trends.

If you want to see some research on political views that is actually really interesting, you should look up Jonathan Haidt. He focuses pretty exclusively on morality and politics. Not so much personality trends as much as what people view as right or wrong, and why. Roughly speaking, he found that liberals tend to view morality in simpler but more focused terms. They tended to err closer to “true” morality based on harm and freedom and the like. Hence why you see liberals always advocating protection for all manner of groups. However they tend to have a sort of an ethical blind spot for morality of systems, which conservatives split more equally across. You see this reflected in how leftists care more readily for disadvantage groups, while also devaluing constructs like marriage or the constitution. This is a super simplistic explanation and of course individuals will vary substantially. These are merely averages. One point of takeaway though is that it does seem that any society that leans too far one way without a counterbalancing force stops functioning and collapses. shrug

Anyways don’t think too much about politics and openness. Ths correlation between openness and IQ is very small, though it doss have a pretty strong link to creativity.

Which culture does the defining? And what is the definition used for?

When the Spaniard says she’s not Hispanic, that might tell you something.
I know of no Americans that consider themselves British. We speak English and were once a British colony.

My point here, and earlier, is that context of a definition matters - especially when it comes to cultures.

–Not-British Gadget

2 Likes

WTF?

All you’re doing is arguing with semantics.

Either you’re a troll or you’re just doing it for the sake of arguing.

Either way, there’s no reason to continue this convo with you.

Noted.

Last words.
The source (part of context) matters.
The definition you give is from the US perspective.

It likely means little to YG.
Though it may be very important for the survey.

–Gadget Exits

1 Like

Again you’re wrong, jeeze, get a grip on yourself. The definition is from the world wide web. The term Hispanic was created in 3rd Century BC during Roman Rule of most of the known world. It referred to the people who lived in Hispania, which consisted of the Iberian Peninsula that included Spain, Portugal, Andorra and the British Overseas Territory of Gibraltar.

Nice history lesson.
Wrong context.

Hispanic in the US refers to Hispaniola - the island- (which gets its name from what you are referring to up above).

They are related, but separate.

Portugese are clearly not Hispanic in US surveys.

–Gadget needs a cruise

Oh really, since when did this turn into a US thing. Nice try at trying to turn it around. However you’re still wrong.

Organizations in the United States use the term as a broad catchall to refer to persons with a historical and cultural relationship with Spain, regardless of race and ethnicity. The U.S. Census Bureau defines the ethnonym Hispanic or Latino to refer to “a person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin regardless of race” and states that Hispanics or Latinos can be of any race, any ancestry, any ethnicity. Generically, this limits the definition of Hispanic or Latino to people from the Caribbean, Central and South America, or other Hispanic (Spanish or Portuguese) culture or origin, regardless of race