Personality Experiment

It’s been about viewing the concept with the correct context from the beginning.

In that vein, I’ll eat some crow.

Decided to look a bit deeper and pulled up some old census record examples.
I noticed that they reference Hispanic/Spanish/Latino, so I started looking for the differences between the terms.

https://djaunter.com/hispanic-spanish-latin-american/

I can assume that the OP’s test uses this definition.

Context matters… dammit. /sigh.

–Gadget can learn her own lessons

Q: “How would you best describe your ethnic or racial background? If you are of mixed ethnicity, check all that apply.”

A: I am a white, Caucasian looking Hispanic, and racially I don’t look at all like the people you US American call “Hispanic” or “Latino”. I think it’s mildly racist to bag together 32 distinct countries with a crazy diversity of culture, skin colours, physical traits and self perception under a tag that only points at language and a broad sense of alien. IMO the poll would be more accurate if it used “Latin American” the same as it uses Asian or African… that certainly would make it a lot easier to Spaniards.

Latin American pertains to people from countries located in Central and South America.

Hispanic pertains to people from all Spanish-speaking countries.

I’ve seen plenty of tests like this (for some reason, teacher’s education programs love them) My personal experience is that my results can vary wildly with my mood, time of day, etc…

Secondly, I always end up thinking that a lot of these traits are not inate, but trainable. For example, I would classify myself as moderately introvert, but standing in front of classrooms has taught me to act a bit more extrovert, resulting in my average score of 49%.

Lastly, these tests are usually based on some form of factor analysis. This analysis mostly just identifies groups of questions which are correlated together. In this case, the factor analysis identified five factors A, B, C, D and E. The interpretation of these factors (naming factor A ‘extraversion’) is not based on the data, but is the interpretation of a researcher looking at the questions associated with this factor. This introduces several issues:

1. This interpretation is highly culturally biased (for example, associating certain factors with more liberal politics)
  2. By doing so, you are effectively redefining these terms. Instead of what most people think of when they read ‘extravert’, extraversion is now defined as ‘how well you do on this test for extraversion’. Hopefully these are highly correlated, but that’s no guarantee. (This is similar to the common complaint about IQ tests, they don’t measure intelligence, IQ measures how well you do on an IQ test. One is inate, the other is trainable.)
1 Like

What the…:roll_eyes:

People are mixed up, there will never be an option to fit you perfectly. Just choose something you feel will be all right, its just a stupid internet pool, not a census in nazi germany. Why you people care so much about it? It doesnt define your personality. Its just looks or some traditions.

I would choose Martian if I could.

Party pooper… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

BTW you can indeed specify that you are martian. Just fill in ‘Other’. :joy:

1 Like

Primary Playstyle: Chairman of the Mortlake Appreciateion Society
Preferred Region: HS
Secondary Playstyles: Murder of Negotiable Motivation

Extraversion - 43rd percentile - about average
Agreeableness - 3rd percentile - extremely low (LoL)
Conscientiousness - 17th percentile - very low
Neuroticism - 36th percentile - low
Openness - 85th percentile - very high

On my extremes :

1. People low in agreeableness don’t place a a huge emphasis on maintaining positive relationships with others. Because of this they may be more blunt and forthcoming with their emotions, as opposed to hiding them for the sake of good relationships. They may be more likely to express their individuality, and less likely to be taken advantage of by others

2. People low in conscientiousness can be more careless, spontaneous, and unstructured. They may have a more difficult time making it to meetings on time, but they may also be seen as more relaxed by their peers.

3. People who are high in openness tend to love art, music, and literature. They are highly creative, whimsical, and insightful. They tend to be prone to intellectual discussion and processing new ideas. As its name suggests, individuals characterized by openness love new experiences, including visiting new places, trying new food, and hearing new ideas. Because of this, open individuals tend to be a little more politically liberal. Highly open people may take more time to reflect on their thoughts and feelings, and as such, may have greater self-insight.

1 Like

Primary Playstyle: Trumptard
Preferred Region: Trumpistan
Secondary Playstyles: Trumptard
Extraversion: Trumptard
Agreeableness: Trumptard
Conscientiousness: Trumptard
Neuroticism: Trumptard
Openness: Trumptard

No, I win.

81% Extraversion, I’d say yes, and no, I like some people while others make me wish to be alone, the safest course for me is to limit contact with others which is more of an introvert trait.

34th percentile of agreeableness, I can always agree to disagree, doesn’t hurt my feelings towards another.

75th percentile of conscientiousness, 100% correct, I hate being late or lacking means to carry out a tasks, organization is important to me, disorganization chaps my ask.

Neuroticism
You score about average in neuroticism, use to be very moody, impulsive, and full of emotions, learning to control myself has changed me to be more balanced, but it has also made me more critical about mistakes I make towards myself.

Openness
You score higher in openness than 85% of other people, I speak in RL to everyone, I don’t care about your race, creed, culture, gay, not gay, I care only about the behavior, however I also know when to shut the front door.

1 Like

You know, basically you’re saying quit the same thing.
Your own sources explain that “Hispanic” is a cultural denomination. Yiole says that she doesn’t feel ethnically Hispanic.

Same thing, really.

And why US is being mention is because this obsession with categoryzing people on ethnic group is a very US thing. Europa is more on a line of “races don’t exist” and in some countries it’s even illegal to do ethnical stats.

So yes, Spaniards are indeed Hispanic, in a cultural acceptation ; they’re not ethnic Hispanic, because in US, which are basically the only ones using Hispanic as an ethnical category, that means originating from Latin-american countries.

Or so is my understanding of your convo.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.