PI Insider Knowledge Needed

I guess I’m asking for insider knowledge here … hopefully someone feels generous … I’m having difficulty turning my PI setup into any kind of sizable, on-going profit. I’ve considered a couple reasons why that might be, which leads me to seek out wisdom regarding:

1- is the difference between setting up on high-sec planets and low-sec planets enough to explain why my high-sec PI seems so lackluster? also, what are the risks for low-sec PI? is it possible for someone to come and either steal or destroy your infrastructure?

2- am i just building the wrong PI product? anyone care to share insights on what makes the most money right now?

3- does anyone have experience with building out an even broader setup using alts? is that necessary in order to see a worthwhile return?

thx… a note to content creators on this… there are a million videos/etc that show you how to set up PI… but what would really be a popular video is one that ran down actual numbers and how to set up a profitable PI!

thx

Well, what you want is passive income with someone else doing the work for you. It is just not going to happen, because if I found a profitable PI-good, why should I lower my profits by sharing it with you?

To your questions:
1: There is a huge difference, especially if you do not have to pay a lot of export tax or none at all. Nullsec or WH should be even more profitable. Risk vs. reward is your own job to calculate…
2: How should we know without knowing your setup? Insights: Check prices and number of items sold and you can figure things out yourself. If you can not, you need to learn how to do that.
3: A lot of people have. Necessary, I do not think so. Worthwhile? Calculate it yourself.

2 Likes

Your questions are below in bold and are potentially rephrased slightly

I guess I’m asking for insider knowledge here … hopefully someone feels generous … I’m having difficulty turning my PI setup into any kind of sizable, on-going profit. I’ve considered a couple reasons why that might be, which leads me to seek out wisdom regarding:

1- is the difference between setting up on high-sec planets and low-sec planets enough to explain why my high-sec PI seems so lackluster?

Define lackluster. What kind of returns are you getting? In High-sec the best opportunities are likely T1 extractions and you might consider a T2 factory planet but I would be focused on maximizing one product to develop hone your skills. See how things work. Be absolutely sure to maximize your Command Center skills. This is crucial. To my mind, I would predict that in high sec for a T2 factory planet you could do Construction Blocks using products from a Gas and Barren planet, Coolant (Multiple sources), Nanites (Multiple sources), or Test Cultures (Multiple Sources). All of the above, provide you will multiple options with products that will sell at decent prices.

In high sec, I would avoid trying to get too complicated. Again, just try to maximize your outputs. Learn how it all works. Practice. Then move to low or if you are with a corporation null or wormhole space.

However, make sure your tax rate is 10% or less. That is a big problem in high sec. Null sec conglomerates put up POCOs in high sec and charge sometimes 25%, I think primarily as a market control. Additionally the resource itself in high sec is of lower quality (concentration) than in low sec.
As a rule the quality of PI goes higher from high to low to null to WH, I believe but don’t quote me on the last two.

What are the risks for low-sec PI? Is it possible for someone to come and either steal or destroy your infrastructure?

No one can steal or destroy your planetary infrastructure. You can lose materials stored in POCOs if they are destroyed and you might lose them if they change hands i.e. are sold to another corporation. I’m not sure about the latter so confirm this with someone else. The primary risk is ship loss while collecting and moving materials but this can be mitigated by:(1) avoiding patterns to your collections; (2) minimizing times at POCOs; (3) setting up SAFE points in your low sec systems and warping to those first cloaking up and doing your POCO launches from the SAFE points while cloaked!. Note: DO ALL OF your transfers to and from planets to POCOs at your safe points. You’ll have to warp to the POCOs to drop things off and pick them up, obviously but you should be able to no more than about 10 seconds there before you warp back to either a safe point or another POCO. Warp to the POCO, quickly make your pickup and warp away as soon as you can. I have found that a fast aligning (6 second Epithal) is the best ship for collecting PI materials. This is my opinion. Others may have better fits, better ideas. ASK them. Personally I would not rely on tank because you will die. Expensive ships used for PI collection is to me not a good idea. In low sec however you will lose ships eventually. It is the price of doing business but it will pay off.

2- am i just building the wrong PI product?

Certain products tend to sell more quickly than others. Make sure you look at the Show info tab for each product and look in View industry to see what they are used for. That will tell you basically how many products and which ones they are used for. The T2 products I listed above are used fairly extensively - construction blocks for T2 ship construction, nanites for nanite paste, coolant for fuel blocks, and test cultures for capital and Navy issue ship construction.

Anyone care to share insights on what makes the most money right now?
What makes the most money now will be different from what makes money tomorrow. Keep your goods until the market goes up and sell them when the market goes up. Don’t worry so much about the market today unless you need to for some reason. If you need the ISK, sell at what the market will bear. If not, wait or put in a market order for 3 months and see if your materials will sell at the price you set. Look at the sell and buy prices and the volumes sold and the trends in the market and try to figure out how the price might change over time. That can help you predict your sell price. Be patient. Or don’t if you need capital! Remember. Sometimes you’ll need the ISK for new equipment or maybe ammo to blow something up YEAHHH!!! 8)

3- does anyone have experience with building out an even broader setup using alts? is that necessary in order to see a worthwhile return?

I have some limited experienced. My planetary operations are in low sec. I have lost three ships doing PI - many others while doing other things but 3 specifically doing PI. What do you see as a worthwhile return? I plan on revising my PI productions and believe I can make a lot more than I do. I probably make at least 50 to 100 million every week to 10 days per character. That’s a conservative estimate of what I make. I am sure I can make much more if I organize things properly. That is a reasonably honest assessment of what I do with PI. Am I experienced? If my advice seems sound take it. If it works, then I would say I probably am experienced or just give good advice. 8) Let me know in game if you get the chance.

For pi, find a low class wh and setup. Hs, ls and ns will have dozens of ppl eating the material mass away thusly cutting margins and your over all resource pool.

As others stated the market fluctuates, diversify your productions, for example across my 10 pi alts I make three t4 products, and a sell excess t3/t2.

You will have to track market trends but Li is pretty easy. Guaranteed income from things like fuel block components is an easy starting path.

Yes, LS PI is a very sizeable bump in yield from HS. You can also ask for favorable POCO tax since LS PI POCOS is owned by a few large and generous owners.

Ideally you want 0% tax and it is very doable if you are in WH or NS.

Honestly, build what you like. EVE is a commodity game. You can look at the Jita prices and see what you like. Robotics is the usual go to for PI. But I also built PI for nanite paste and that was really fun. I also built t4 PI in HS at one point when I was new to PI. Don’t ask me how I pulled it off but it was fun thinking about that setup. :laughing: :laughing:

The main risk in LS PI is running into a gate camp. Find PI in unpopulated LS space. You will probably have to do a lot of jumps depending on your situation. Noone can attack your PI setup planet side yet. :smiling_imp:

1 account with 3 characters is all that is needed to see good yields. I actually have only 2 characters atm and I make good ISK when I actually keep up with it. (easy 100-200mil a week.)

I will conclude with this. Find 0%-2% POCO tax in WH or NS space. I helped run a small PI corp with some friends in WH space and we are still going at it today. May not have the most corp content but the ISK is great and we chill when we are all on. Contingency plans all set up. Assets all paid off multiple times. It’s a simple life.

A4E - PI profitability (adam4eve.eu) explore this tool if you want. Took me some time.

Massive yields are possible in HS. I knew a very old EVE vet who easily had 10+ accounts all dedicated to Robotics PI in Genesis region. Scaling takes time and a lot of MCTs :laughing:

I also use a Blockade Runner to haul my LS PI when I do make a trip to those planets. Get yourself a BR if you don’t have one!

o7

hey… i just wanted to say thank you to the repliers to my original… even the one who told me i wasnt going to get any insider info :wink: all of it helped me out in wrapping my head around PI…

2 Likes

For me an every day go-to tool, makes life much easier.

Insider info for PI is literally just unique setups. Nothing much more to it.

np o7 :wink:

Obligatory repost:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.