Player agency and October Balance Pass

Please mister, can we PvP, please?

OMG :rofl:

lololol

Pretty Please???

1 Like

No. You shouldn’t feel bad.
But you shouldn’t go putting it as if they made you do it either.
You decided they were a good target for “insert reason” and made your choice to shoot them.

That reason may have been a moment’s carelessness on their part, it may have been the value of the cargo, it may be that today you decided to gank every DST you could for lols.

None of that makes it their fault they got ganked. It just gave you a reason for your action. The two are different things.

So if I kill the Hulk it wasn’t his fault it exploded. What if he undocks another Hulk and continues mining and I explode that one as well? Still not his fault?

Still your fault. you took the action that made it explode. Certainly foolish on their part. But not their fault it blew up. That part was your choice.

So lets say I exploded his first Hulk. He docks and from there he has multiple options. Let’s say he has another Hulk and a Skiff in his hangar. So he could:

1. Use the Skiff to mine because as he has seen I have only two gank chars and that is not enough to kill him again.
  2. Use the second Hulk to mine
  3. Stay docked

He goes with option 2 and I explode him again 10min later. Would you say it wasn’t his fault to go with option 2? Is he in no way responsible for the choices HE makes given the nature of this game and the actual situation he finds himself in?

You are still responsible for blowing him up regardless of his choices.
Yes hes got to take responsibility for being risky. But the final fault, and I use the word fault loosely all through here btw, is yours. You pulled the trigger.
Now like I said. dont feel bad. It is a game where blowing people up is part of the game.
But dont use victim blaming arguments to pass over your responsibility to them. They took a risk, you blew them up. That’s all it is. Own your part.

I just think you completely lost the ability to think of EVE as a computer game. You mix your judgement about a situation that happens in a game setting where certain things are expected and even encouraged with how such a situation would be judged in the real world. This is not the same, EVE is not the real world it is a game.

I tried to make this clear by comparing it to simpler games where the effect is obvious, somehow you can’t make the connection.

In EVERY GAME, no matter the setting, the rules, whatever. if you lose a match, a round, a ship or a battle and it isn’t pure RNG, the fault has to be with the player who lost. There is no growing as a player if you shift the blame to the one who bested you, only self pity and misery.

I tell you this in an attempt to help you not to win an argument. It is an extremely unhealthy attitude to have as a gamer and it will make you hate your hobby instead of having fun during your playtime. Because if you shift the blame you can’t control it, you are at the complete mercy of others who you think are at fault your stuff explodes and you can’t do a thing about it.

It doesn’t matter if it’s a computer game or real life. Who is at ‘fault’ for things is still the same. It’s the person who takes the action. And you take the action of blowing them up.
Like I said. It’s not a bad thing to blow them up. But it is still your action. They did not make you do it. That makes you responsible for doing it.

Can I learn and do things differently to reduce your opportunity to do so to me. In some cases yes. In other cases I just have to shrug and write the loss off. But none of that makes it my fault you ganked me.

The only person here (in this sub conversation) trying to shift responsibility is you.

1 Like

Yeah ok, looks like I’m talking to a wall here. In the end you only hurt yourself with this attitude given you don’t teach that to other players. And I really hope you don’t.

Obviously one is responsible for making the winning move in a game. But I honestly don’t see how stating this fact drives the argument further? But then again, when has a pvp vs anti-pvp argument ever been productive… lmao.

Also, being responsible and being at fault, is not really the same thing. Probably why it is hard to really understand where the hell you are going with your argument.

This is a life lesson as well. Just saying.

BTW

fault

/fĂ´lt/

noun

an unattractive or unsatisfactory feature, especially in a piece of work or in a person’s character.

“my worst fault is impatience”

responsibility for an accident or misfortune.

"an ordinary man thrust into peril through no fault of his own "

synonyms: responsibility, liability, culpability, blameworthiness, guilt

“it was not my fault”

It’s the wrong word to use in this conversation.

1 Like

+1. It’s no one’s fault. It’s just a game, with the majority playing it how it’s designed and allowed to be played.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.