Players using POSes to Defend Anchorables

Hello space friends,

Currently, mobile observatories are required to be deployed greater than 1,000km from any stargate, station, or upwell structure. This prevents players from using automatic gate/station guns or upwell structure defenses to protect a mobile observatory while it is deployed in space.

However, the minimum distance from a control tower is only 100km. This allows for the automated defense of a mobile observatory by the POS modules, preventing an attacker from destroying the observatory without themselves being tackled and destroyed by the automated modules of a “death star POS”. This gives little recourse for anyone wishing to destroy a mobile observatory, unless they want to bring capital ships that can tank or out-range a POS - a significant escalation and risk compared to the deployment of a 65 million isk item.

I propose that the minimum distance to deploy a mobile observatory be increased to 1,000km from a control tower, in order to prevent the automated defense of a deployable structure. If you actively deploy something, you should have to actively defend it.

Thank you and fly safe o7.

2 Likes

Not sure how many full-armed DeathStar POSes are still out there in 0.0, but since I am a believer of K.I.S.S., I have to agree, if 1000km is the distance from celestials/structures, this should include POS towers.

1 Like

If you are solo, that might be an issue, but a group of 5-10 bombers can one-shoot a MOOB.

This is in lowsec. And these deathstar POSes are everywhere. Especially in busy systems.

1 Like

POSes are just supreme. Citadels suck, POS rule! Citadels destroyed the spirit of eve :3

After 2 hours they are gone anyway no matter if you shoot them or not. I don’t see why anybody would ever anchor such a thingy in lowsec unless it’s meant to decloak a Nyx or something… or maybe bait people to attack it at the POS…