Please stop the nonsense about inflation

this is a video game it is not real life
there is no recession or deflationary spiral in this game

i know you like showing off how much you learned about economics but if you wanna look smart you need to stop applying economic principles to irrelevant situations

um that is what you are doing and it doesnt apply in the slightest
reading your post seems obvious you don’t even know why recessions exist or why you cant apply boom and bust economics to eve

Good riddance.

hes not a rl economist tbh
just a guy who went to school and didnt fully understand what he learned

1 Like

You truly are the greatest EvE player of all time. There can be no doubt.

1 Like

Wow, that’s just truly amazing.

1 Like

Your reading-comprehension ability is poor. I didn’t dispute (at least in anything you wrote that I responded to) that the money supply is or isn’t growing, shrinking, or doing anything else. I said the issue is a SYSTEM in the first place which allows money supply to grow, shrink, or do anything else, out of pure fiat. I’d bet everything I own that your beloved Milton Friedman you quote (and since you are into name-dropping, my economist friend was on first name basis with him) would agree with me here. I know for a fact that he wasn’t for a SYSTEM which would allow for creation or destruction of money supply willy-nilly. He did not support the existence of the Federal Reserve.

For the last few weeks there’s an uptick in buys of PLEX by roughly one million per week.

One million. That sounds like a lot! Yet the price of PLEX barely moves upwards.

@Teckos_Pech

What does it mean?

1 Like

When people can’t make money on it you expect everyone to make their own?

You don’t see that as bad? That is the very definition of autarky and it means everyone is space poor like ■■■■. Really space poor. Specialization is one of the things that makes us all rich.

Yes, I do. And I’ve been playing a Hell of quite a bit longer than you.

Really? Prices are declining, production is declining the money supply is declining. There is every single hallmark of a recession in game and yet it is better?

This marks you are an economic ignoramus. Sure there was mild inflation in game. But mild inflation is not a problem. Even mild deflation is not a problem. This isn’t mild. The deflation is about 2x the prior inflation rate.

Hopefully things will look better in the next MER, if not…well that’s bad.

Go look at production. It is trending down. Production decreasing like that has another name: Recession.

IRL when the money supply collapses, we get deflation. Looking at the in game price indices we see…deflation. We also see production dropping. We see transactions decreasing. So far, real life and the game are working together.

Oh and I find it amusing…you do know you can never say “supply and demand” ever again for anything in game, right?

Really? People do not argue that ratting and ISK creation that is too high leads to inflation? The Devs sure know this which is why they nerfed carriers and supers in terms of ratting a few years ago.

sigh

Man I feel like I’m trying to hold back a tide of stupid here.

The ISK supply in EVE is not governed by fiat. If it were CCP would be in total control of the ISK supply and they aren’t. The ISK supply depends on people killing rats (predominantly). It is actually not a bad system in that it is somewhat similar to commodity based currencies.

I’ll explain…again.

With a commodity backed currency like gold suppose a mine plays out. The amount of gold entering the economy drops and the money supply shrinks. There is deflation which makes going out and finding a new mine more and more profitable as the money supply shrinks. If a very productive mine is discovered then the amount of gold entering the economy increases and we have inflation and mines that were marginal before the discovery now become uneconomical and they shut down. Thus, the money supply is largely self regulating.

The same is to some extent true with ISK. Suppose CCP changes a ship and it becomes more efficient at generating ISK. Those players who were just indifferent between ratting and doing something else (in game or out) stop. If CCP nerfs a ship then ratting becomes more attractive for those who did not value ISK creation prior to the change. That is, players trade IRL time for ISK.

So was inflation out of control in game? No, not really. Again look at the price indices. None of them showed a major problem with inflation.

IDK, in looking at the data for Jita it looks like the amount bought has been declining. Since August 30 the quantity has been decreasing for a number of months…

Scary scenario, a number of super rich players are now playing via PLEX vs. subscriptions as they don’t want to sink RL money into a game they think is having some serious problems.

1 Like

When people need the ship i expect them to acquire one. Either by buying or making, whichever is easiest for them.

Space poorer. As in relative to today. And many of us, especially vets, can afford to lose some wealth. But it’s very hard to actually become broke in this game as i explained above.

Meanwhile new players running pve with cash payouts in highsec (missions) will actually ‘catch up’ with older players wealth wise, or at least have the best chance they’ve ever had in years to close the gap.

Again, i don’t see this as a problem.

Or they just give up and move on to greener pastures.

A game where players become progressively space poor is not sustainable.

Let me try it this way, when your venture becomes to valuable to put into space you’ve broken the ■■■■■■■ game.

Adapt or gtfo. No?

Again, it’s very hard to go broke in this game. A new equilibrium will be found.

Edit-
That’d be the ventures you get for free from the tutorial? and can build with literally minutes of mining?

Sorry to hear we are collectively too stupid to understand the OP’s genius.

Note: I have to say the title of this thread was a bit prophetic.

I don’t understand.
The amount bought every month has been increasing according to adam4eve?

The red one is buy (order?) volume. Green is sales.
You mean the overall amount of PLEX is decreasing?
Blue is ESI traded volume, whatever that means.

https://www.adam4eve.eu/commodity.php?typeID=44992

If this was an upward pressure the price would be rising much faster, no?
So what does this mean?

Btw, it appears that people don’t understand your analogies or metaphors. Seems they take them too literally, like your venture comment. That’s frustrating. You’re saying that when even a venture has a high value, no one will undock it anymore. Try a more directly worded approach with less “images”. :slight_smile:

But IRL we are never looking at the population halving alongside these effects. Normally we see a growing population.
So I think we need to adjust to a per capita basis for a number of these factors to see if individual production is dropping or actually growing.

It is confusing. On the one hand things are losing isk value (money supply going down). But ventures (or other ships) are going to become extremely rare and valuable according to Teckos_Pech? And whilst these ships are valuable and rare, gankers are going to be nuking people as soon as they undock because they can afford to do so? Do gankers have ships on tap whilst everyone else doesn’t?

At the end of the day, the cost of making ships is time, and that wont change. And we will always need ships, whether we trade for them or make them ourselves. There will never be a shortage of ships that are easy to build with resources from high sec (tech 1 and especially ventures). Even noobs can run a few missions, buy a blueprint, mine for literally a few minutes and build a frigate. Scale this up for dessies, cruisers etc but the required factor is time which is not changing.

That’s where i think Teckos_Pech is going wrong. He’s comparing the game to the great depression, but the average american household could not make their own cars with materials found in their back yard. In eve we can.

4 Likes

it is main problem. There are people with infinite isk supply from old times (moons) and todays too - large scale plex speculation for example. All this trade citadels in hisec - lets say someone dont like main powerblock and want to put 80k usd to make war, so hi buy tones of plexys and sell it in… trade hub makeing rich some of his enemys.

eve is dead because of ccp and stupidy this developer is, and notheing will change here ever. future of eve was decided long ago, and winners was decided too. So this all hisec ganking is stalking players outside of the system, so you can see even venture on suicide kilmails. It is not about isk anymore.
You have only one choise to join the winners powerblocks.

Isn’t it fun reading posts of some random fanatics with no clue?

Man, so fun!

3 Likes

God forbid, if there were a war between those with infinite isk supply… it would never end!

Titans for DAYS!

2 Likes

Alliances walled up behind fleets of supers as far as the eye can see!

Wait…

2 Likes