PLEX is very expensive right now thread

I failed to see any reason to change PLEX.

• Other than you can get it with RL money, PLEX is no difference than other in game item.
  • It does not generate or destroy ISK by itself.
  • PLEX market activities is actually ISK sink because tax is collected on all market orders.

So PLEX is not an ISK faucet.

Some major ISK sources(faucet) are:

• Bounties
  • Commodity
  • Insurance
  • Incursion
  • Mission payout

PLEX It is not a cause of inflation, if that is what OP trying to target.

I am wondering why OP is not targeting bounty payout, which show the highest increase in the graph, instead on something that is NOT shown in the graph.

You might have missed some, especially selling to NPCs, which is substantially larger than total mission payouts.

@Scipio_Artelius Thank you for pointing out and linking the graph. Learn something new.

You are correct, I missed some other faucets. Correction made.

I didn’t know NPC is actually a market factor, and a huge one. Just google it, interesting.

I treated incursion as part or bounty :stuck_out_tongue:

Commodity like blue sleeper stuff from wormholes and Overseer personal effects are worth a lot of ISK, but they are not as direct ISK payouts, because you have to store them, transport and sell them somewhere first. They have potential to generate more and better (explosions and looting) content than ISK bounties.

So… security status is a broken mechanic?

This is a very, very good point.

I too prefer the commodities and LP payouts over direct ISK payouts. LP balance out when to many players do the same thing and commodities can be blown up.

“my iteron with 12 billion worth of tags that I farmed for x months got GRIEFED in Higf Secority this game sucxx CCP”

1 Like

I can see no drawback here.

Because CCP will probably listen by then :stuck_out_tongue:

Valdr Auduin
So… security status is a broken mechanic?

I’m not sure what your comment has to do with my post but if you’d like to elaborate I’d be happy to discuss with you…

Remember those 50k accounts are active accounts, who are regularly in the game!

Now assuming that to bother to plex the account they are tending to do something, trading on the markets, doing PVE, doing PVP…

Now take 50k out of the PCU, and why should anyone Pay a subscription to fly around in empty space meeting no one.

Don’t write the value of such players off too quickly.

You can’t take 50K out of the PCU, since thst would create the logically impossible situation of -ve numbers online concurrently.

That’s a fundamental misunderstanding of what the PCU is and what the impact of 50K not PLEXing would mean.

Nevyn is right and supported by statements from CCP also.

Unless they are seen as blatantly false, the CSM minutes also mentioned PLEXed account were a minority.

Uhmmm what?

OOG game the supply of PLEX is perfectly elastic.

elastic_supply

IG the supply is upward sloping, or at least there is little reason to believe otherwise.

IG_supply

What you are suggesting is that supply is inelastic,

IG_supply_inelastic

This suggests that the amount sold on the in game market would be unchanging, since this is not the case there is little reason to believe this claim that supply is fixed.

Actually I would expect supply going down with rising ingame PLEX price, because for same amount of ISK people need to buy fewer PLEX with $$$.

You need to work on your trolling.

Demand decreases with price (Giffen goods excepted), not supply (the backward bending labor supply function excepted).

Wouldn’t they both go down?

Less demand because less player can afford it in ISK

Less offer because those finance their in-game activity with PLEX for ISK need less PLEX to finance X billions

Let’s give you a very simple example … you invest 10 bucks into a banana token which allows you to redeem 10kg bananas in your local food store … today. The dealer gets your one banana token, you get the 10kg bananas and you are done with bananas for the next month.

Time has passed and banana inflation happened so you now get 20kg bananas for your one banana token you bought for 10 bucks. You go to your dealer, redeem the bananas and … are done for the next two month. Hence the dealer gets only 0.5 token per month from you as 1 token before. The supply of tokens has decreased because it’s value in bananas went up.

Yes, demand goes down as price goes up (ceteris paribus). But on the supply side it is not as simple…

If I need X ISK and that translates into say N PLEX at price P and and price P’ (which is higher) I might buy say N-2 PLEX, so yeah I might buy less PLEX to sell in game for ISK. However, there are other considerations, suppose the higher prices also induce another player to buy more ISK so that he won’t have to buy as many in the future. Also, there are those who might not have bought PLEX at the lower price, but now buy at the higher price. Additionally, those who are buying PLEX and holding them as investments might decide to cash out at the higher price and then wait to buy again at a lower price. So we have a number of effects that say more PLEX and really only one that says less.

Now, keep in mind the above is looking at supply and how suppliers will react. It is not meant to offer why the price goes up or down. The price goes up or down because there are changes in the supply and demand functions. For example, supply might go up in game because demand OOG goes up. Demand out of game might go up for a variety of reason the most common is a PLEX sale.

One should be careful reasoning from a price change. For example, what might happen to the price of pork is the cost of pig feed goes up? The typical response is that the price of pork would go up. But a more complete answer would be as follows:

1. The price of pig feed goes up, pushing the “marginal” pig farmers out of the market.
  2. The marginal pig farmers slaughter all their pigs.
  3. There is more pork on the market.
  4. Price of pork goes down.
  5. Once the marginal farmers are out of the market, the price of pork would go up, and most likely past it’s previous level since there would be less supply at all price levels than prior to the increase in pig feed.

So the typical answer is not wrong, it just is missing some of the more interesting things going on.