Pod goo: become aware of it!

It may well be promoted as a ‘self cleaning’ medium, but this is likely a market ploy.

The hydrostatic capsule is filled with what is commonly known as ‘ectoplasm’ that, it can be said, replicates the effects of amniotic fluid while also providing a medium for a kind of suspended animation. Here is an excellent layman’s video on amniotic fluid to give you a tiny insight into the potential nature of ‘pod goo’.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjD9Ky4zFME

Scientifically, any liquid medium cannot simply ‘clean’ itself in anyway from solid or liquid contamination, and the human body even in low activity continues to shed skin tissue by the cell-full. It also requires the evacuation of waste products such as urea/urine and faeces when solid food is consumed, as well as residual oils, waxes, mucus and other secretions that are constantly pumped out by glands around the body. The vast majority of these occur even in a state of unconsciousness, such as in a coma or in hibernating animals, even if at a reduced rate. What is required is physical filtration, or a medium with the capacity to effectively dissolve all of these waste products (to a finite saturation amount) which would still require periodic replacement.

Solids can be made ‘self cleaning’ by being hydrophobic and repelling a lot of water based dirt issues. Liquids, by their scientific nature, cannot.

5 Likes

Point taken.

2 Likes

And we’re working to give you the death you so eagerly desire, Funkybutt. Hope you keep enjoying your personal impotence.

2 Likes

Except that this liquid is in an enclosed filtration unit built to withstand the rigors of space travel. The pod is a self-cleaning medium for moving pilots from one place to another. The artificial amniotic fluid within the pod is under constant filtration. This stuff was all covered before we got jacks at PTS.

2 Likes

Are you bragging that you guys get to employ crooked pod technicians, and they get the pleasure of working with fanatics who probably steal their blood while they sleep?

I mean, sure. Brag about swimming in someone else’s urine. It sure explains a lot…

3 Likes

Not to be pedantic, but…

The OP specifically addressed the ‘Pod Goo’ itself, not the pod or its filtration systems. “This stuff” and “medium” can easily be confused to mean the liquid itself, especially given the term ‘medium’ is often applied in scientific language to mean a given liquid itself.

An example, and also rather on point with regards to suspensions and solubles!

3 Likes

:sniffle: They grow up so fast…

4 Likes

On topic… I assume at least.

The suspension fluid is a high suspension saline that is filtered to cleanse it, while all our functions are tubed, suctioned, or otherwise removed from our orifices and the like. The fluid would have to be changed every 5000 hours in pod, but the nano-filter assemblies would be best to have changed at almost every dock where we leave pod.

I have my pod cleansed, sanitized, filters changed, and a full diagnostic run every time I leave pod. I have made sure to have a crew that travels with me to handle this. I make sure they are well paid as well.

3 Likes

My pod goo is a perfluorocarbon non-newtonian fluid which while ostensibly rather gooey in its rest state, its viscosity increases under constant hydrostatic (hence hydrostatic capsule) pressure of the pod liquid ventilation and filtration systems allowing among other things full respiratory immersion in the medium. Once you get over that sensation of asphyxiation the first few times it’s all fine.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, due to recent economic changes in the demand of better quality pod goo…I was left with choosing between the “slightly sub-par” and the “oh-my-god-that-is-disgusting” models, I was assured that both of them will not be detrimental to the physical well-being of the capsuleer…but then again, the company that provided those models haven’t passed security checks yet either. Hmm…I’m conflicted. :expressionless:

3 Likes

Last dock hand I know of that tried to switch out non-spec goo got to give it oh… an 8 minute trial.

End of problem.

2 Likes

I’ve always understood it as being more like warm, breathable orange water than anything - it’s “hydrostatic fluid”

While it’s commonly referred to as pod goo, if it was indeed that viscous I doubt it would suffice to oxygenate any of our bodies directly, as it does - we’d simply suffocate instead.

3 Likes

Once I’m jacked in, I’m not aware of the goo, and that’s the way I like it.

5 Likes

Slept through my course of pod goo 101 and got moved to capsulere status before ppd goo 102 class so any fact presented here is informative as all i know is it works… and after a while the temperature is okayish could be a bit warmer.

2 Likes

Nice necro.

You’re all wimps by the way.

5 Likes

<3! :D! Oh goodness it’s good to see these thoughts come back.

I agree that the solution never feels quite warm enough until the sensory overlay means I can’t feel it anymore. It’s very warm where I’m from so maybe that is why, but it’s uncomfortable. Apparently it’s calibrated for best pilot health and performance but I can’t help thinking I would perform better in the pod if I weren’t all the time wishing for a wrap.

3 Likes

I like wraps with bacon in, they’re delicious.

2 Likes

Capsuleers taste just like bacon apparently. I guess you’d have to slice them thinly enough and cure them properly first though. On the upside, no more worrying about how to clothe them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

oh bob, why D:

I am not impressed by this deliberate shift to an odd, unrelated, and distasteful topic. Mutter about such things to yourselves in private if you truly must.

3 Likes