Poll: Paid Name Change

You want to change yours, right?

my characters are my characters and I’m fine with that.

I would actually like to suggest a “Name Duplication Certificate” so I can have an army of BOINGBOINGs.

2 Likes

There isn’t any real issue with name changes.

I changed mine IRL, which cost money.

As long as the original name remains in the history (can be on the employment sheet) then I don’t see any problem.

A name is only really a label at the end of the day, so you can talk about someone when they’re not there.

No.

In EVE the name is who you are. In real life as well. You can’t compare it to a reallife name change, because your old name isn’t attached to yourself. You still have to live with your history and you either share that with others eventually, or need to lie about it.

When the name is hidden behind clicks it actually defeats the purpose of the name change completely, because people will just call you by the name they learned first. They will know who you are anyway, so there is no point and nothing to gain. It also doesn’t serve the purpose of hiding your past, as you’re known by your old name.

So who does it serve?

Those who made the mistake of choosing a stupid name? No, because their actual name is still visible, thus nothing changes for them. They’ll still be made fun of for their old name.

Those who want to hide their past? Nope.

So who benefits of this? From what I see, no one who wants this thought this through. They all stopped at “oh i want this because reason” and that’s it. That deserves zero respect or support.

Tell me, what actual purpose does this serve?
Try not to be superficial, because this idea only survives thanks to superficiality.

3 Likes

For those, for example, who legally bought characters from other players. And that has been a sound argument in favor of the name change service for a long time.

You are not a name or a number you are a person, your name servers as an identifier, great for filing information on you away somewhere.

People don’t change their name legally to hide from anything, nobody calls me by my old name after all why should they.

As for this game, the only reason I suggested keeping the old name in the employment history is because I know how some people like to carry on with the decisions have consequences BS. More like we like to know who they were so it’s harder for them to run off with the corp. jewels.

Who does a name change benefit, anyone that feels they require a name change or players that buy characters from the bazaar .

And I’ve just spotted Ms Steak’s post which the timing is a bit out as now people will think the Bazaar comment was from Ms Steak, it wasn’t.

:scream_cat:

Things for free in a game in 2019. are you insane? If companies like activision had their way you’d start a COD game with no guns and you’d have to ‘earn’ the guns from random crates lol.

1 Like

That deduct $0.02 directly from your bank account. Or you need to watch a commercial and answer 3 questions about it correctly so they know you watched it.

Why don’t we have clones that we can use different names on, presumably an immortal demigod who earns the entire GDP of several planets in an hour could have a few alter-egos.

3 Likes

You’re not even answering the question you’ve quoted,
you simply said “this group of people would benefit”.

Explain the reasoning.

“Because they want to change the name of the toon” isn’t a reason, btw, it’s what they want. Explain why they want it and why they have a point. I believe they don’t, but I want to know better.

It’s the toon they’ve bought. No one forced them to buy a toon with a name they didn’t like. You’re buying a developed character with history and failing to consider that is a problem on the players’ side.

Make an actual point, please.

Thanks.

1 Like

Are you saying that decisions don’t have, or shouldn’t have, consequences?

Should they sure, but guess what, they don’t and havn’t for a long time.

Anyone can trade chars on the bazaar, for almost no cost.

Or people with funds can go the skill injector route.

Consequences is a MYTH, all it is doing is preventing everyday players, with no real history, from changing stupid names.

So you’re saying they should just keep making things worse?

Yeah but that isn’t a change of the name. It’s buying a new character, with a different name, different history and different skillpoints. You could as well bring up “making a new character and injecting it with skillpoints”, and it would equally not be an actual argument.

Consequences are a myth, btw.

Well, I guess you’re right. All these worthless nobodies should be able to throw their money at CCP for a namechange. It’s not an MMORPG anymore anyway, so what does it matter. What does anything matter?

Skill Injectors apparently were a great idea too!

1 Like

Which is EXACTLY what the people hiding from their reputation want.

You are playing right into their hands.

With a name change the history would be preserved.

Lets face it, the people hiding can already hide, all this hurts is the casual players and role players.

Show me where I said that?

Now you are just making stuff up.

Your credibility -1.

You’re reading this wrong.
I never said you said that.
It’s implied and you don’t even know.

That’s the thing. CCP made stupid decisions and built up on them. They went a certain direction, a shitty direction, and keep making decisions and features that fit to that shitty direction.

So even though consequences haven’t mattered in a long time, that doesn’t it needs to be further and further cemented into the game, no matter what kind of features we’re talking about.

So I say “skill injectors apparently were a great idea too!”, because they’re a milestone on a shitty path we are heading down and apparently it’s a-okay to implement features that fit on that shitty path.

Get me now? I don’t have time to write a better response.

1 Like

Ok lets get back to reality, a “Skill Injector Name Change” is not a reality the cost is stupid high compared to a char trade.

The moment they added char transfer the wheels were off the wagon.

And really, the inevitability of people simply trading in accounts outside CCPs view made that somewhat moot.

The idea the person you are talking to is the same person you talked to last night has been dead a long long time.

2 Likes

I guess you’re right.

…

They should make it 100 bucks and not buyable using PLEX.

:stuck_out_tongue: