Price of Plex - Market intervention Required from CCP

Imo the plex prices are starting to make a lot of isk making activities a no go for me, I can PvP a long time on 20$ and not have to grind sites or look at market alts.

I donā€™t know about the rest of the story but i stopped right hereā€¦

1 Like

Vile

Bollocks

Well that is what i am making using hacsā€¦

As I listen to Musique non stop - Kraftwerk

https://youtu.be/O0lIlROWro8

What ones do you favour?

Censured

1 Like

What is this movie?

Censured

I remember seeing an article once of people training to be stock market people using Eve markets for training.

Wasnā€™t that right before the crash?

I have no clue, I know as much about the stock market as your local toddlerā€¦

Isnā€™t that what alpha clones are for? 20 million sp are fine to play eve. If you really need the additional power-up you will have to grind or pay.

You still donā€™t know what speculation is. Speculation is where an investor places what are essentially bets on where the market will go based on the information she has. Thatā€™s it. Speculators can bet the market will go up or down. Even if a speculator has information no other market participant has their actions can send a signal to the market about where they see the market going.

People often say speculation is bad, but speculators can help markets. Speculation is not manipulation, first off. Second, speculators can help fend off shortages. If speculators think a good is going to be in short supply in a few days (weeks, months, whatever) and they jump into a market to buy up existing supplies what happens? The price goes up relative to all other goods. When this happens people see these higher prices and may enter that market as a producer to take advantage of that higher price now. Thus, the shortage in the future is avoided. Same thing with a glut. Suppose some speculators are holding a given commodity thinking the price will go up. But then they get some information suggesting the price will drop. So they dump their holdings and the price drops well before the anticipated decline. That price decrease induces producers in that market to move on to other areas where their time and effort yields a greater reward.

Speculators can actually sabotage attempts to manipulate prices. Suppose the Super Secret Cabal of PLEX Price Manipulatorsā„¢ (SSCPPM for short) is trying to manipulate the price of PLEX higher. How could speculators ruin things for the SSCPPM? Well if speculators are sitting on a few piles of PLEX and the price suddenly starts going up that these speculators did not anticipate they might dump their PLEX piles on the market, depressing the price and meaning that the SSCPPM just suffered a big loss.

Speculators often help thicken up markets which tends to bring stability. So the idea that ā€œspeculators are badā€ is some idiotic holdover from the 19th century where most people were stunning economic ignoramii. No really. In the 19th century just about everyone held to the labor theory of value which is now completely debunked and only ridiculous old Marxists still cling too. Most of those guys sat around trying to figure out the water-diamond paradox.

And sure if PLEX only cost 50 million ISK weā€™d have alot more players. But trying to force the price of PLEX to that level does not work anymore than changing the minimum wage works at alleviating poverty.

Soā€¦in summationā€¦stop being an economic ignoramus.

1 Like

If you are trying to ā€œplay for freeā€ by earning ISK to buy a PLEX you are doing it horribly, horribly wrong. You do know about opportunity cost right?

Suppose you can work for 1 hour and earn $15 after taxes. After working for 7 hours you can buy a subscription for an entire year. Even if you grind for 70 hours how much ISK do you have to buy a PLEX? Lets say 2 months worth of PLEX. Why are you trading 70 hours of your life for 60 days of game time when 7 hours will get you 365 days? Heck you could work for 7 hours, and grind for 63 and at the end you have a years worth of subscription, and 63 hours worth of ISK for ships, skill books, etc.

That is, suppose you work 7 hours and grind another 63 hours you would get about 35 billion ISK worth of subscription and ISK. Youā€™d get 32.5 billion ISK for 1 years sub and another 2.4 billion ISK in your wallet for ships and stuff.

Or you could grind the entire 70 hours and get about 5.4 billion ISK worth of a subscriptions.

The bottom line is if you are grinding to ā€œplay for freeā€ you are doing it very wrong. Stop.

1 Like

It was down to below 3.5 last night.

This isnā€™t really about me. I have a good job and lots of in game isk. It more an observation of other players. I agree with what you are saying but in reality it does not happen. Some players cannot justify spending real cash on a game when there are substitute games they can play for free. Iā€™m not say I want eve to be free to play. Far from it but I do think plex both in game and out needs to be cheaper. This is stereotyping but we have the younger generation of gamer coming through who are not used to paying subscriptions. Or the older ones who are and willing to pay. Well the price needs to be right or as you say, opportunity cost means they could choose a different game to play!

This comment had urged me to convert isk to plex

3 Likes

Didinā€™t you over-commit though? Maybe half a :credit_card: PLEX would have been enough for now. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like