Provide +0.25x training speed to all accounts with two factor auth enabled

How would turning on 2FA have a negative consequence on your gameplay?

Genuine question as I don’t see how it would have any consequence on gameplay at all. It’s not like 2FA has to be used every time you play on your own computer.

Because the other way to make a carrot more attractive is by punishing those who DONT take the carrot in the first place.

it has to do with CCP doesn’t want to be known as a game that’s plagued with hackers taking all the player’s stuff and not being accused of doing nothing. and what i’m gonna assume is that they can’t tell RMT to piss off for whatever reason.

That doesn’t answer the question. It’s not about carrots and sticks.

How does 2FA have a negative consequence on gameplay?

1 Like

2OP
You know what… I like the idea. But bonus must be smaller: +5% for example.

This is at least twice as good as your OP. Reducing player training by 25% if they don’t have MFA is 100% doable, 100% justifiable. Doesn’t impact the status quo for anyone paying attention. Anyone that’s not… meh.

The use of MFA is the practice of good account security. There is absolutely nothing you can do to stop some asshole using an unpatched (zeroday if you really argue that it’s possible) brower exploit that he plunked on a wordpress site relating to Eve that you happened to browse to. Or that he XSSed onto CCP’s website via some discord forum vulnerability. Keylogger installed, account info obtained.

The moment you think you’re safe is the moment you just screwed yourself. Use an MFA. It’s not hard, it’s not onerous. It won’t stop someone determined, but it’ll definitely make it harder.

Go ahead and peddle that benefit to the dude that stopped playing 2 years ago and doesn’t care about his Eve account anymore. While I recognize that said dude would be entirely unimpacted by this change, dude 2 that just started playing and hasn’t yet quit the game… he would be.

1 Like

Some people don’t have a smart phone to run 2FA. Therefore requiring 2FA has a negative impact on those peoples gameplay.

1 Like

Elitatwo said it perfectly. For less than the cost of a small plex package, you too can have a secure account.

Only if such things are available near you. Yubikeys and the like are not universally available. I can’t find any in my country on a quick search, nor any other brand that does the same. The very few websites that mention yubikeys say “Discontinued, no alternative product exists”
Ok, so yes, I personally have a smart phone, and have 2FA, but it’s not as simple as you make it out to be to get it.

1 Like

I can respect that. All in all, I think that options need to exist to make MFA more accessible in those cases. I’m of the personal belief that some form of MFA should be mandatory for all accounts. In a world where everyone has reliable access to an MFA solution of course.

How?

There are options other than phones and you only have to verify once on your own computer, if you set the client to trust it.

You can even run Google Authenticator on a Windows PC. Not something I would do, but if you secure your account from your own PC and are ok that your computer is not available for someone else, then 2FA can still be used that way.

1 Like

https://www.yubico.com/product/fido-u2f-security-key/

Im being forced to do something that should have no impact on my game play in order to keep my progress in the game as high as possible. I currently im progressing as high as possible in the game without secondary security but will be forced to get it if i wish to continue to play at the highest possible level, that is how it impacts my game play.

As i said before security issues should be resolved with security solutions like providing secondary security thus the person may chose to use it or not but at least it is there. While basically forcing it down my throat to keep playing the game at the highest levels is putting to issues together that have nothing to do with one another.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.