Proving Grounds Gameplay Policy Update

First of all you’re being a bit mean and you’re hurting my feelings.

Second of all this is in no way to coddle “incompetent” players. The literal best ever, most skilled PvPer in the history of EVE Online could be queuing for match, get aggro’d by someone in a rookie ship and have to go dock up for 15 minutes.

That same player could get into the arena and be faced with an opponent in an unfit ship which was only queuing to feed someone else. It’d get blown up in about 30 seconds and then the competent player would then still have to wait for their next match having not had a good fight.

Neither of these scenarios have anything to do whatsoever with protecting low skilled players and that should be completely apparent. If anything the second scenario would be a gift to an unskilled player since they’d get a free kill.

14 Likes

What happened to / (what about) the idea of some form of ELO-style scoring, as opposed to counting raw wins, which would solve some of the problems?

No, it’s in full swing. Once you enter this dark path of instanced “fair”gameplay you are doomed.

2 Likes

Oh, I am sorry. Can I bring this “hurt feelings” argument forth as a reason when CCP hurts my feelings by constantly bringing in terrible features? I mean, you really hurt my feelings when you completely invalidated all the hundreds of hours that I put in your Invasion crap. Can I get a clarification on that? :slight_smile:

Then maybe they are not so good after all? I mean, if you want to do that in Jita instead of going to a secluded place, you deserve to be harassed. What was this about recently about spreading out in null sec? Maybe these cotton-loving players need to spread, too?

I recently spent 4+ hours without a good fight because CCP didn’t allow it thanks to server performance. It is only fair that other people should not always get a good fight either. Besides, no one of them cares about a good fight. All they want is stats on the leaderboard. To them, it doesn’t matter how they get them. Or have you received a single statement that indicates otherwise?

If they wanted a good fight, then maybe they should roam or use one of these despicable yeet filaments? Oh wait … No, because then they would also not get a good fight because they subject themselves to the sandbox and unfortunate things could happen to them. I see what you mean.

You misunderstand. You are trying to shield unskilled players from the harsh environment that is EVE by always giving them exactly what they expect and not what other players want to push onto them. You want to apply 2 (or more even) different principles for the same things just because some people expect fairness from a certain feature in a game that prides itself with being the most unfair sandbox environment on the market. This is a fundamental disconnect from what makes EVE the game it is supposed to be and portrayed as by you. This should be most apparent, should it not? :slight_smile:

Unbelievable.

@DeMichael_Crimson was right!

1 Like

Grow up? (though i think calling you specifically “out of your mind” is dumb misplaced, because this isn’t your fault anyway)

Intentions don’t matter. What matters are changes to reality.

Reality is that these guys aren’t able to compete with those who outmeta them with alts.

Reality is also that these same people would be whining about the same thing if it wasn’t alts, but real people!

So does that mean you’ll eventually ban people from metagaming Proving Grounds with friends??
Because it sure as ■■■■ looks like it!

Good ■■■■■■■ luck with that!

3 Likes

Whatever delayed reaction to obvious abuse, but it remains to be hoped that these rules will at least slightly reduce the insolence of some participants of Proving Grounds.

At least you’re trying to fix your mistake, CCP, and not pretending there was no problem at all.

2 Likes

Cool, thank you for finally restricting such unfair behaviour! I hope to get more cool fights and not just some unfit ships or people burning straigh out of the arena. And so that people with less free time can finally get to the top 100

This should have been done in the Zenith quadrant already in order to prevent that unfair gameplay.
By the way with the restriction of alt accounts: Is it still allowed to queue alts in the same team as your main in team events such as a 2v2? Or do both characters in a team now have to be controlled by different persons?

However, I still miss the old Cruiser 1v1 room at the end of Tier 3-6 sites

2 Likes

So … please answer me this:

When people start metagaming it with real friends
… just because you lot really deserve it …

… what will you say/do then?

2 Likes

Ha! You’re one of the worst offenders!

Not very workable, as anyone who wants to do this will just say “I was engaging in regular PvP”.

About all this will achieve is preventing anyone from publicly posting “Lol I did this just to keep you from entering proving ground!”.

CCP, you really need to do more to manage behaviors with your code and less by trying to come up with half-baked rules for players that boil down to “Our GMs will make a judgement call if someone reports this”.

4 Likes

Sol,
I can answer this one.

Nothing. That’s the answer. There is nothing they can do. They cannot see or control it. It is absolutely going to happen… but no, it cannot be controlled.

I’d provide another look into why can-flipping was the fix for all these problems if I thought it would do any good.

Ever since they decided can flipping was too mean, this game has been in a downhill slide both from a population point of view and from a content point of view.

Why does “fair” have to equate to “meaningless”? Arena fights? Honestly, how much less meaning can you have?

Nobody will write about these exploits years after they happen.

I still remember great stories of things that happened back before all the scuffle and fighting mechanics got disassembled.

Hard to scare up a good story now.
Mo

3 Likes

“They took a long time, with baby steps, but when Eve became an instanced theme park, I was there.”

How is that for a great story?

OR perhaps come to the conclusion that controlled fights and scenarios have no place in a sandbox and just stop investing DEV time into it.

2 Likes

They were using a noob ship and doing it again and again with the same character, so that excuse would be a bit hollow…

In any case the person having this done to him would have to contact CCP.

As for this:

I think the clue was on the part where he said spam alts.

What he’s really looking for you to say is if “collusion” is okay, and if you don’t a very specific absolute ruling on it, its gonna be metagamed because you didn’t specifically say it was not okay.

Or otherwise if you say collusion is not okay, be prepared to review 10,000 reports of alliance members who didnt kill each other right away in any given FFA, and if you don’t actually review them, prepared to be buried in a big pile of steamy hate.

CCP to Players: “C’mon guys, play fair - you all know what this means, you don’t need us to spell it out for you.”
Players: confused silence.

13 Likes

1 is a good idea. 2 is an unnecessary change.

Calling proving grounds part of “the greater sandbox of New Eden” is insulting.

Having to impose proprietary rules couldn’t be a clearer sign that instanced PVP dungeons should never have been implemented in the hardcore open-world PVP game EVE is supposed to be.

We have also entered the slippery slope that leads to unconsensual interactions being regulated out of existence.

3 Likes

That would be an ex post facto application of the rules. There was nothing in the original Proving Grounds posts and explanation that banned this kind of behavior, so coming in after the fact and banning it would not be fair. Banning it moving forward is the right thing to do.

Everybody recognizes that Cable’s win has a pretty significant asterisk next to it, and going forward that kind of thing is not going to fly, and those who engage in that behavior will be dealt with appropriately.