Pulse Laser Paladin

I don’t have the skill for a Maurader and I’m not going to get it anytime soon, so I don’t know how these things work in practice. I do know that they offer huge DPS and are great a running sites. At the same time they can’t move in bastion mode at all.

So what about Pulse lasers on one? The range of these things is 48 km IIRC give or take, reduced to 24 for Conflagulation. So how do you get in optimal range 9so you’re not fighting in falloff) of the next target when you can’t move your ship?

The microjump drive offers the possibility of leaving bastion, jumping, change modes, and then shoot again. There is a major problem with this and that is overshooting. Slapping on a regular propulsion module like an afterburner allows moving into range normally, but unlike normal ships which can do meaningful damage when approaching, a Paladin won’t do meaningful damage while trying to reposition. I don’t know how Pulse lasers work in practice.

Not to be disparaging, but if you did even a little research you’d see that pulse laser paladins are hugely popular in both PVE and PVP across all parts of space (often accompanied by other traditional heavy armor ships like leshaks, nestors, guardians, etc.)

They’re some of the strongest ships in the game.

Often marauders will fit MWDs if they can’t just sit there stationary or rely only on MJDs. Your assessment that they don’t do meaningful damage outside of bastion is incorrect - they’re similar to other battleships out of bastion instead of far far above.

In practice, the range on pulses are quite practical since they match up similarly with other ships they’re used with (leshaks). They project out far better than the blaster Kronos, which is why they’re so much more common.

2 Likes

Huh, I didn’t know that.

Like I said, I can’t fly one and I was just trying to imagine in my head how it would work. Like I knew people used them, I just didn’t know how people got them to be effective.

Thanks

actually it does the usual damage.

You don’t use marauders with T1 guns.

Why not ?

1 Like

Well, it’s easy to get good range with the pally thanks to a hull bonus, bastion mod bonus, and large pulse lasers having great range for a “short range” weapon system. Add to that a scripted tracking computer or two, and you can easily get 30km optimal just with conflag. And, since most rats like fighting within 30km (well, at least in highsec), you can often just post up at a good spot, and start by shooting the faster stuff first (as that will close range first). And, by the time you’re done with them, the slower battleships will have had time to close range. Moreover, you can always use scorch if you’re fighting something that likes to stay farther out, and it’s not that hard to reposition for new waves if needed. Bastion mod’s cycle time is only 30s. So, it’s not like you have to stay pinned in place for the entire site.

Whoops, I think totally forgot the hull bonus! I don’t remember how I got that range calculation. I would have easily seen the “problem” wasn’t that big of a deal if I was in one. Thanks for answering.

1 Like

Because scorch cant possibly hit out to 90km