Today’s PC Gamer revisited review says: “The user interface is another major sticking point for many new players. My housemate once described it as an “unfriendly, scary, complicated calculator,” and he’s really not wrong.”
The following overhaul was developed after someone else said that spamming D-scan was awful game design/gameplay. I’m no expert on PvP, but I’ve done a fair amount of game design and I agree. Most of my PvP experience is with cruisers and so I’m hoping PvPers and other impartial players will help me improve the suggestion.
(An auto-refresh D scan would mandate the elimination of Local in 0.0.)
Edit: ^^ cannot be done with current Eve design according to ISD_Buldath.
D scan results can still be incorporated into the Overview, without being able to warp to them > 4km away.
There’s a case for simultaneously nerfing the post-overhaul D scan so that identifying distant ships is harder. Big ships would be more easily identified. Directional D scan use would be required to boost identification power (or range?).
We could also solve the cloaking controversy at the same time.
Cloaked ships could appear on overview at 20km, but not identified and not selectable. You’d need to use the directional function of D scan to approach them with any accuracy. If cloaking is nerfed, gate camps would have to be nerfed in some way.
Cynos should probably appear at any range.
There needs to be more opportunity for small gang PvP with less reliance on cloaked ships. With any overhaul of PvP, some will be happy and many will cry. Tuning of the balance could be done with alterations to things like range on the new Overview, range of Overview identification, power of the new D scan etc.
So what does this mean?
- D scan spamming will be gone and not before time.
- Your UI will be cleaner. You will not need the D scan window most of the time. It will be used when needed, like the Probe scanning window.
- Overview will become more important.
- 0.0 might actually become as dangerous as it’s supposed to be. Whether it should be more or less dangerous than W-space is debatable. This is where more PvP opportunities will arise. Lowsec and Highsec will become a bit safer.
- Reduced AFK cloaking.
- Players will get a few seconds more warning of cloaked gankers without having to spam D scan.
Hoping for a mature thread about game design rather than the usual obviously-defending-your-EZ-mode nonsense.