If you are a new player and are wanting to get into PvP you should first invest in training skills that deal with ECM Warfare. Such skills would include Tracking Disruption, Dampener and ECM Target Jamming mechanics along with Warp Scrambling.
The above mentioned aspects of PvP will give you an advantage over more seasoned vets. The over all goal is to keep your opponent from being able to lock you at all. Therefore you should train to use the following ships:
- Griffin - Bonuses to ECM Jamming/ Long Range
- Garmur - Bonuses to Warp Scrambling/Long Range
- Maulus Navy Issue - Bonuses to Warp Scrambling / Long Range
- Interceptors - Bonuses to Warp Scrambling / Medium to Long Range
- Kitsune - Bonuses to ECM Jamming / Long Range
- Blackbird - Bonuses to ECM Jamming / Long Range
Once you have your ECM ship and modules trained you can simply lock an opponent up and keep them from locking you while you warp scramble them from long range.
Next send in a PvP Cruiser or Battle Cruiser to finish the opponent off.
With the ECM tactic you only need two ships, three at most to win every PvP encounter that you come across.