Question about ASB's on Rapier/Huginn

I was looking at fitting out a Rapier or Huginn for solo hunting, going dual-web and staying at range; but I’m not sure how to tank them.

I am new to fighting at range in general, and almost all my past experience involved getting right up in the enemy’s face and trying to win by brute force. Back then, I would use my lows mostly for damage mods, and fit ancillary shield boosters, not so much using them for active replying, but to extend my buffer, if that makes sense.

The Huginn and especially the Rapier don’t have amazing DPS, so I expect a fights may go a little longer than I’m used to. I’m wondering, is using ASB’s on these ships a wise thing to do for solo ops? Or should I maybe go for something a bit more consistent and fit a regular shield booster to avoid the reload time of the ASB? I’m already unsure about using the rapid light missiles on the Rapier due to reload time.

On a related note, I noticed the Loki has a web range subsystem, would an ASB be suitable to it, flown like the recons above?

This is the fit I use. Can swap out a BCS for a nano should you need more speed.

[Rapier, Rapier]
IFFA Compact Damage Control
Ballistic Control System II

Stasis Webifier II
Large Ancillary Shield Booster, Navy Cap Booster 150
Republic Fleet Warp Disruptor
50MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Large Ancillary Shield Booster, Navy Cap Booster 150

Covert Ops Cloaking Device II
Rapid Light Missile Launcher II, Inferno Fury Light Missile

Medium Bay Loading Accelerator II
Medium Hydraulic Bay Thrusters I

Hammerhead II x3
Hobgoblin II x2

I assume the intention is the ability to still have an ASB available while one is reloading.

What would you recommend for a dual web setup? Is a single XL asb viable?

Honestly I use a buffer fit alot too, one with double webs. If you just pick your fights there is nothing to worry about.

[Rapier, Rapier]
IFFA Compact Damage Control

Stasis Webifier II
Large Shield Extender II
Stasis Webifier II

Medium Bay Loading Accelerator II
Medium Core Defense Field Extender II

Hammerhead II x3
Hobgoblin II x2

And in the double ASB fit its either for extreme burst tank or having one reload while the other one is active.

And if you want to go single asb double web i’d do this:

[Rapier, Rapier]
Damage Control II

Stasis Webifier II
X-Large Ancillary Shield Booster, Navy Cap Booster 400
Stasis Webifier II

Medium Bay Loading Accelerator I
Medium Processor Overclocking Unit I

Hammerhead II x3
Hobgoblin II x2

I think if you’re going solo hunting, the Rapier is going to have a more limited engagement window than all 4 of the T3Cs. The other day, I happened on a pair of drakes (one of which was a navy drake) running a mission in low sec. At the time I was in my Loki which is fit as a heavy Rapier of sorts. I took the fight and got one of them, but the other bounced (yes, yes major fail on my part). I’m not sure that’s the sort of fight you can take in your Rapier and come out on top.

Both of Nerdz Rool’s fits look fun, but I can’t imagine he goes in on BCs & BS that often. Honestly, it’s the rats that end up doing most of the freaking damage in those sorts of encounters so you do have to take that into concern.

I’ve been messing around in Pyfa with a cloaky missile Loki fit with a single web that stretches out to about 26km. With RLM’s it pushes about 600 to 700 dps with drones. That requires 3 missile damage mods in the lows though.

I’m just really concerned with the tank on a ship that pricy. With prop mod, disruptor, and web, you only have two slots to work with.

I’ve put a damage control in the spare low, then been trying to decide how best to utilize the two mids for a shield tank. I’m not familiar with fighting at range (20-24 km), so I don’t know what kind of tank is needed, or what works best. All I know is that those two slots would probably be insufficient at close range.

To be honest, RLMLs just frustrate the Hell out of me. Hitting a reload cycle in the middle of a fight is just the worst. I currently have 720s on my Loki and it’s murder on any frigates you happen upon unless the fight starts at closer than you wanted it to.

Keyword: pick your fights. Anything hitting out to your engagement zone should be avoided really.

1 Like

How much damage can I expect to take from close range cruiser fits once I’m out at about 20k distance? Will ASB be sufficient with the 60-second reload cycle?

I am thinking XL ASB plus invuln, or 2x L ASB instead.

Vs blaster boats only what their drones put out. Anything laser/missile might not be in your engagement bracket since they can mostly apply Full dps to that range with scorch or any missiles really. Autocannons MIGHT be able to apply to that range, depends on ship size. And ofcourse Railguns and Artillery, But those are sometimes easy to out maneuver.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.