Question for New Players and Null Sec

Why are your pictures of low sec always overweight semi naked people xD wtf.

Hateful picture for forbidden words in the forum.

A paid occupation suggests you set out to earn that money. It occupied your time and you earned money from it very deliberately.

An opportunist might happen upon a job/opportunity as a hauler that they take long term, they might even take training and certification to do that job.

They could still be an opportunist always on the look out for side hussles. However if their main profession was as a hauler they would say they are a professional haller. If they were asked what their ethos was they would say they were an opportunist. If they were asked what their vocation was they would say they were an opportunist. If they were asked what they do for a living they might say they were an opportunist but if asked about their job they would probably say hauler.

Like I said if you want to use profession were others use vocation or job or ethos that is your prerogative. There is nothing wrong with changing the meaning of words from time to time. It might even catch on in the wider world.

That’s straight out of the Lukas playbook.

You have no facts on the individuals, your are lumping them all together based on your assumptions. Your assumption is basically saying. “Everyone that lives in that part of space are all lazy and risk adverse contributing nothing worthwhile to society.” To say that you calling them Krabs doesn’t come with a value judgement is at best obtuse at worst fiercely dishonest. Krab is largely used as a pejorative. No one congratulates someone on being risk adverse or focussing on earning over PVP in this game.

That is literally what Krabbing means.

Who are these people saying earning isk over taking part in pvp is a virtue?

Explain this, if you hate them for what they do you in a way where you are distilling them into a stereotype how are you not considering them inferior? The minute you apply the stereotype to them you are literally dehumanising them from a person to a type.

It’s apparently hard when people hold up a mirror that shows you performing the same things you accuse others of doing.

I think your blind spot might be introspection and that is why you were suprised.

To be clear I’m under no illusions I’m perfect, I get lots wrong, I’m socially awkward and inept for the most part. However I do try to steer away from being obtuse.

Talk about sneering at someone, thats a good example right there.

So yeah, you are still saying you are allowed to dictate to other people what they do ffor a job in EvE. Lets make sure we are clear about that. If they do something you dont consider a job, its not a job. Thats what I disagree with.

Id love to see you or Mo enforce your view on anyone. Illl be off doing my job of being a Professional Oppotunist, thanks.

Really? because I was under the impression he DIDNT follow it up with an example that made it clear why you are wrong. I have not made a Class distinction, and I dont think you know what the Class System is if you think I have.

They all live in Null, which is never an assumption because its based on them admitting to it. They all are complaining about how hard done by they are by CCP when it comes to mining, PI, Industry or the ESS. These are not assumptions, they are words from the krabs’ maws.

Repeating the previous attempt to put words in my mouth without quoting me is pretty desperate. If you cant quote me directly, please dont pretend to quote me.

No, for the thrid time, please try to read what Im saying and not what you think Im saying:

When I say “I hate krabs”, it means exactly that. It means I want them gone, I dislike them intensely, I think Id be happier without them, I really, really, really hate them and their ways. But where in that sentence do you see me saying they or their ways are worse than mine? You dont, because I never said it.

How much clearer can I be?

I think youll find quite a lot of people do. You argue with some of them regularly. But again, you are the one bringing your perception of value judgements in where there is none.

I have very little concept of what this means.

Example sentence (please dont deconstruct this sentence any further, its used as a figurative example)
“The Spartans were a race of heroes” - does this sentence dehumanise Spartans? Even though we would both agree it attempts to create a stereotype.

Again, quote me please. Or show me video of being a krab. Please stop with the empty accusations.

However you are now making a claim that you are somehow morally or philosophically superior to me based on you constructing a paradigm where I consider myself superior to others even though there is literally no evidence to support that hypothesis?

Hypocrisy much?

Any sneering there is in your imagination. Offence is taken not given.

No I am saying that a job is not the same thing as a profession is not the same thing as what you do for a living. A job can be something very fleeting you can do a job that lasts a week, a day, an hour. Or you can have a job that you regularly attend.

If you want to say your job is being an opportunist that’s fine. It’s not how I would describe the situation as being an opportunist is usually a binding ethos that sees you doing lots of jobs.

You are basically taking issue with something I’m not doing and I can’t tell if this is the Ramona antagonistic persona or you are genuinely miss understanding what I’m saying. Like I said, socially inept.

I live in null, I haven’t once complained about PI, industry, ESS or anything. I don’t make lots of isk in fact I make less isk than I use as I top up with plex to pay for ships from time to time. I fly cruisers,vexord and caracals mostly and spend most of my time trying to learn pvp heading through NPC null sec, up the pipe to HS then skirting lowsec through faction war space before heading home.
So all of your assumptions about me because I live in Nul are false.

Krab is quite simply someone who has a risk adverse playstyle and focuses on making isk over anything else. I live in nul but neither of those things apply to me.

So yes when you say everyone in nul is a Krab you are dehumanising them to a stereotype.

Last time we had this discussion I used the example that if we just looked at you from your zkillboard it would appear that you don’t even play eve and are nothing but a forum warrior. Point being it’s not something I know and to reduce you to that stereotype would be a failure to see you as an individual.

Context is everything, the Spartans were a race of people living in Sparta. Heroes is a value judgement based on your opinions of them. It’s not very factual but you are talking about the race and not an individual. If you lived in those times and said to an individual Spartan “because you come from Sparta you must be violent and baby murdering” then that would be a problematic stereotype.

Do you see the difference?

Are you trying to claim you have never called someone a krab without knowing anything about what they do in game. Are you really going to make me trawl back through the ganking mega thread to quote where you did exactly this to me?

No I’m calling you obtuse because you are ignoring that I pointed out when you called me classist and said you thought we were past this you at the same time regularly perform bigotry in the form of lumping all null sec players in the same stereotypes. I’m also calling you a hypocrite for doing so.

I’m sure I make mistakes myself and I’m sure I have blind spots. Being obtuse however is willful ignorance. I try and avoid being willfully ignorant when someone points out I got something wrong. Doesn’t mean I won’t defend myself when someone miss interpreted what I said though…

Again I’m never sure with you though if you are actually being obtuse or just being antagonistic.

Where have I made assumptions about you?

I see you ignoring my request not to deconstruct the sentence and not only doing that, but basically holding up “if its a good stereotype its not dehumanising, but if its bad it is” not withstanding its you who are making the judgement and not me, once again.

You keep stating that I do this and that, but are still unable to quote me doing so.

No, I literally said the opposite, its like right there in my previous reply

As we’ve been over, the Oxford English Dictionary disagrees.

No I didnt. I pointed out that in the real world the distinction between Professionals and other workers was classist. If you subscribe to that however, then yes you are being classist.

How is it bigotry when its true?

I mean, you are the one coming up with the idea that these stereotypes are negative and thusly stereotypes, but if making lits of isk was seen as a virtue it wpuldnt be a stereotype… Thats what you are trying to explain here right?

Because its not making much sense really.

So you will confirm you did it but ask for a quote of you doing it?

I think you need to re-read the dictionary entries on both opportunism and profession but I’m not going to go round and round in circles with you on this.

Please see above where I defined that it’s not true because I live in null and fit none of the definitions of being a Krab.

No not at all what I’m saying you are trying to claim that calling someone a Krab isn’t a pejorative. I’m saying that it is because it is used by people to demean them for their playstyle.

A stereotype is a stereotype. There is an argument as to wether there can be positive and negative stereotypes and wether all stereotypes both “positive” and negative are inherently problematic. I don’t have any answers but I would err on the side that treating people as individuals is better than reducing them to types.

Well my understanding of the situation was you were calling me classist purely for relaying the definition of profession. If you feel it’s classist then perhaps the word professional should be done away with, however I don’t see anything inherently wrong with recognising an individual has put in a lot of training to do the job they do myself. You can do that while recognising that privileges exist that mean someone has more opportunities to get the training if they come from a certain background. It doesn’t require you to diminish the individuals achievement.

No, you are asking me to confirm I called someone a krab without knowing anything about them, so I told you no, I wait till they make it clear. Im not sure what you are having difficulty with here.

I literally posted the definition of Profession. We clearly differ now on the meaning of “occupation”.

And I havent called you one as far as Im aware. Sorry if I have, because if you dont mine, ess, rat etc then you arent a krab. No idea what you are but there we go.

Why wouldnt I use an insult against soneone I hate?

What? They arent ashamed of it, why would it demean them?

Which isnt the point you made when you decpnstructed the sentence. You made the opposite point.

Then Im sorry that you took it that way as it was not my intention.

Again you called me a Krab while knowing nothing about me. Every time you say people in null sec are all Krabs you call them Krabs without knowing anything about them. I’m not sure how you are struggling with this basic idea but again I’m not going to keep going round and round with you on this.

Fine.

If the intent is to cause them a loss of dignity then yes. You are right, someone cannot be demeaned against their will, doesn’t stop the intent being to demean them.

The point I made is that one stereotype was made about a historical race of people the other was made about current people. One was relatively tame while the other was quite likely to annoy or upset. A stereotype is a stereotype, that doesn’t mean there isn’t context, some people chose to label them as positive or negative but in general it’s better to treat people as individuals if you ask me.

I’m sorry, I was tagged for your post. Is that addressed to me?
If it is: I really have no idea what you’re talking about… at all.
If it’s not: … carry on.

Wrong person. hence why I deleted

:rofl: I’m roflmao right now

ok then?

When? Ive even apologised incase I had, but at no stage do I recall calling you a krab.

No one has less dignity than me, so Ive bothing to gain by attempting to undermine someone else’s.

I do. I assess on an individual basis if they are krabs and if so I wish them harm.

Thats really all there is to it

Well I accept the apology and the when was way back in the nerf ganking mega thread. You can understand I’m sure given the size of that thread and the amount of dross I’d have to wade through to find it why I’m reluctant to actually return to that thread for it.

i agree , to sov holders and ■■■■ is gold
to me the average man is not that important
i just jump from gate to gate and look on zkill after i have any encounter
my knowledge of the various alliances in the game nowadays is almost null

low sec is the best sec
its also very homoerotic …

1 Like

Then please accept my genuine apology.

1 Like

I started playing in 2020. Went to cache and spent 6 days dying because of angel rats and pvp. You know nothing, understand nothing, dont have isk, skills. All i learnt is to warp away fast.

Best people to attack.

You are much more likely to win.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.