Question for New Players and Null Sec

Ah ok sorry, didnt realise I was talking to the Great Arbitrator of what people can and cant do in EvE

Sorry to bother you. Ill remember to ask you in future if Hauler still exists as a profession.

Ffs

Why would being an opportunist be a career?

Imagine if you asked some teenager what they want to do for a career, and they say “I want to be a pragmatist”.

Being an opportunist is more of a philosophy, you can be opportunistic with any of the career paths in Eve.

I think maybe what you are looking at is becoming a Factotum. A person of many jobs. Someone who can turn their hand to most of what comes their way, not necessarily be great at any of them, but probably make a living.

(Factotum is incidentally a great book by Charles Bukowski if you haven’t read it.)

If that’s what you want then I would suggest you just train your magic 18 and any time you want to turn your hand at something ensure you’ve kept back some of your free SP to quickly drop into level 1/2 maybe even 3 of a new skill.

Did I write that Oportunist should be a career?

That’s already been underlined, thank you.

And marked as wrong, thank you.

You dont get to determine what anyone in EvE considers their profession as.

If you think you do, you actually dont understand the game at all.

Pray tell me what did you want people to surmise from you saying “but it’s not a career…” then?

Here is the original part of that post.

It simply says that my profession is oportunist and that there are no skills to train for that → ‘an Oportunist Career’ ( since there is no career named ‘Oportunist’ ) but, again, Omnis Decline quite rightly pointed out that all the skills can be used to be an oportunist in EVE.
I don’t see what the controversy is about besides wanting to argue the finer points and nuances.

No you dont want to see it, which is why you chose to argue rather than discuss.

Again, YOU dont get to determine what a career or profession is.

And yet you are splitting hairs between saying being an opportunist isn’t a career and being an opportunist isn’t a profession.

A profession is something that you get paid to do and typically one that requires a lot of training and formal qualification. An engineer is a profession. A smith or an accountant is a profession.

Being a pragmatist or an opportunist or an optimist is not a profession.

Mining in EvE requires very little formal training or knowledge, ninja looting (one of the most lucrative forms of opportunism) requires knowledge and practise.

But you say you cant be a professional at it?

I mean sure, if you are saying a Doctor is a Professional a Nurse is a Skilled Worker and a Porter is an Unskilled Worker, but thats classist nonsense and you know there are plenty of professional nurses and porters.

Typically requiring extensive training and certification.

So yes, a nurse is a profession. If I had to guess hospital porters also require a lot of training too. However typically implies there are professions that don’t require formal education and certification.

Mining in game is a career but not really a profession. You wouldn’t say being a low skilled labourer is a profession.

Classist nonsense would be judging someone based on wether they had an unskilled labour job or were a highly trained professional.

The word itself doesn’t harm anyone it just means what it means.

Spreadsheets in space. Eve literally is intel. Practically every major player in Eve has relied on it to a large degree…the prime example probably being The Mittani.

But it does. There are instances when the word of a Professional means more than an Unskilled Worker.

This still isnt the point though

I am an Opportunist by profession in EvE, always have been, always will be. Neither you nor Mo nor anyone gets to tell someone how they play is wrong.

I was pretty sure we’d gotten past this ages ago but apparently not.

I mean sure if you want to change the definition of the word profession to encompass general ethos that is your right. It might even catch on and the definition of profession might change in common parlance.

I can’t speak for the other person but I would not in any way say how you play is wrong.

That being said your the first one to criticise people who play in Nul accusing them all of being Krabs and making value judgements and assumptions on how they play.

Classist nonsense if you ask me. :wink:

The meaning of it as used by everyone here to refer to their ingame job in EvE isnt even the same as the definition you have given.

So then I can be a professional Opportunist, or Salvager, or Prostitute, or Scammer, or Hauler or any of the many many many things that apparently arent professions according to you both?

Because it is you two saying these arent professions when I and many other people do them as our jobs.

1. I have stated I hate krabs, but in what way is that a value judgement? Is my opinion in someway giving credence to whether their professional choice in EvE has a value? Of course it has a value. Doesnt mean Im not allowed to hate them, does it?

2. There is no Class distinction being made, so I dont see how its classist. Anyone can be a filthy rocksucking krab, be they the poorest King of England or the richest Rapper from the hood.

I see.

In EvE you can be anyhing you want.

The hyperbole and misinformation is saying that you can only be what the AIR system tells you.

I hope thats in plain enough english for everyone.

I guess profession in EVE has a different defenition. In the wider world profession and Job do not mean the same thing.

Prostitution can arguably be a profession.

How is any class distinction made. You create a distinction that the people you don’t approve of are somehow a lower class of people. Less worthy, less refined, their efforts are some how less worthy than yours. You trade in assumptions about them rather than treating them as individuals.

Please note that “especially” does not mean “exclusively”

Oldest profession in the world, I hear.

Yes, and where did I do that?

Actually, no, I think your definition is inaccurate. Is it not possible to also hate those you perceive as of a better class?

Please note I didn’t say exclusively. However an ethos isn’t a job or a profession by any normal definition. That has nothing to do with wether a job is typically highly skilled requiring extensive training and possibly certification.

The only confusion here is that you are using the word profession where anyone else would use vocation, job or ethos depending on the context.

You are still drawing a line where you are in one class and they are in another. Wether you see yourself as hard working and sneering at those who sit at the top of a class structure or you see yourself as more of an evolved person and they are some how basic you are still lumping them together and sneering at them.

Any time you make a value judgement on someone who happens to live in Sov Nul assuming they are Krabs just because they live there. You are lumping them all together and saying they prefer low risk playstyles that focus more on earning isk than anything else. You make it clear from how you talk about them that you think they are less worthy than your opportunistic playstyle.

But I literally gave you a normal definition that clearly states that a profession is “a paid occupation”. Im not sure why you dont find that acceptable but Im afraid its the context we are talking about here. And before we get too technical, you are paid, you are a member of a corp, you just happen to get 100% commission on your work.

So yes, a profession is a job, an occupation etc

No, Im really not.

I havent said anything about myself at all. You are constructing this out of whole cloth. Can you quote me saying what you are claiming I have said?

But thats because thats exactly what they are. Saying blue is blue doesnt mean I think green is a superior class of colour than blue. I just have no strong feelings about green. But I hate blue.

Quote me saying that please.

And that bit is true, They do.

But a lot of pepole say that is a virtue. So how is hating them for having a virtue I dont have " sneering at them"?

Let me make it clear for you; you can hate someone for what they do or believe and not consider them your inferior.

Its hard these days when everyone seems to think they are the most morally perfect creature ever who is never to blame, but that sems to be people for you.

They really are the worst.