Railguns for Frigates

Trying to fit a Merlin for Level 1 PvE Missions. I found several fittings but I wondered why no salvagers are used /fitted. Salvaging the wrecks usually brings a lot of ISK in those missions where the payment is low. Before I bought the Merlin I used a Bantam with two railguns and a Salvager. When I needed more firepower I installed 3 Railguns and came back after the mission to salvage. To increase firepower I also switched to 150mm guns instead of the 125mm used in most fittings. After browsing some fittings Iā€™m not sure it was a good decision. I wonder why most fittings prefer the 125mm.

Either doesnā€™t worth to salvage (more ISK to just complete another mission while you would be salvaging, this includes if you salvage while completing the mission you usually sacrifice DPS thus complete less missions thus generate less ISK) or they use a dedicated salvager ship to quickly salvage after completing a few missions (wrecks stay in space for two hours after being generated, also in such case people tend to drop an MTU while completing the mission and some even leave it there until they return with their dedicated salvager in case there are so many wrecks to pull).

Though keep in mind people can attack these without CONCORD reacting and they go suspect doing so thus open up for you to shoot them which might be their goal to begin with.

2 Likes

One-in-all ships are not as performant as two fitted-for-purpose ships. A Salvager is normally only fitted if the high slot canā€™t be used for weapons, and salvaging all missionā€™s wrecks is awfully slow with just one salvager.

Why do they prefer 125mm? Because thereā€™s more Cap, Power, and CPU left for other modules and they perform better in closer ranges. Another Magnetic Field Stabilizer can be more powerful than a bigger gun.

2 Likes

[quote=ā€œBoldly_Gone, post:3, topic:349435ā€]
Another Magnetic Field Stabilizer can be more powerful than a bigger gun. [/quote] Thank you. What other modules can be installed to improve railgun performanceā€¦ (Target Painter ? )

Web, for close range, target painter for long range although I suspect a tracking computer would probably be a better choice.

1 Like

Iā€™ll rummage threw fittings when I went home and toss one at ya. What rats are you fighting?

Guristas

You sure you donā€™t wanna use blasters?

[Merlin, LvL 1 Rail Guri]

Vortex Compact Magnetic Field Stabilizer
Vortex Compact Magnetic Field Stabilizer
Tracking Enhancer II

1MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner
Fleeting Compact Stasis Webifier
Compact Thermal Shield Hardener
Small Shield Extender II

150mm Railgun II, Javelin S

Small Hybrid Collision Accelerator I
Small Core Defense Field Extender I
Small Core Defense Field Extender I

Yes Iā€™think heā€™s sure about that. Like me he loves to have some range to the target.

Real immortals use blasters.

1 Like

A lot about fitting is personal preference, going with both your own strengths and your ships (e.g. see what bonuses, slot layout, etc., it has).

All my characters use rails on a Cormorant destroyer. Same skills as a frigate, just more guns. With a lot of skill it can fit T2 rails and a T2 salvager, with less skills one has to downgrade some aspects to meta modules.

I recently did a level 3 combat signature with it, as it has TONS of range with rails and is very quick.

If you are interested in the fit, Iā€™ll try to post it later when I get home.

The Merlin is really a brawler in my books, and I personally prefer to put blasters on it. The key being getting in close and keep moving, using high-damage short-range ammo.

Itā€™s T2 cousin, the Harpy, is a favorite of mine in the same role (ā€˜Blarpyā€™).

There is only one level 2 mission that should NOT be done in a T1 destroyer: Mission of Mercy. Iā€™ve done it an artillery Thrasher (Minmatar), but it took forever and was so painful that I only did it to for amusement purposes. The same mission is trivial in any cruiser with long-range medium weapons (most of the targets are cruisers).

Note that you only ever need to do ONE level 1 mission if you train Connections 3.

1 Like

Apologies for the late reply. My shotglass of a brain can only remember so many things before something leaks out.

Hereā€™s the ā€˜basicā€™ fit from one of my alts, with most of his skillpoints focused on just this one ship:

[Cormorant, Better Rat Trap]
IFFA Compact Damage Control
Power Diagnostic System II

1MN Afterburner II
Multispectrum Shield Hardener II
Sensor Booster II

150mm Prototype Gauss Gun
Salvager I

Small Hybrid Metastasis Adjuster I
Small EM Shield Reinforcer I

Targeting Range Script x1
Iron Charge S x5000
Tungsten Charge S x5000
Iridium Charge S x5000
Lead Charge S x5000
Thorium Charge S x5000
Uranium Charge S x5000
Plutonium Charge S x5000
Antimatter Charge S x5000

Same thing with T2 Salvager. It is harder to fit. Using ā€˜fittingā€™ implants is easier than maxing all the fitting skills.

[Cormorant, Better Rat Trap II]
Damage Control II
Power Diagnostic System II

1MN Afterburner II
Multispectrum Shield Hardener II
F-90 Compact Sensor Booster

Salvager II

Small Hybrid Metastasis Adjuster I
Small EM Shield Reinforcer I

Targeting Range Script x1
Iron Charge S x5000
Tungsten Charge S x5000
Iridium Charge S x5000
Lead Charge S x5000
Thorium Charge S x5000
Uranium Charge S x5000
Plutonium Charge S x5000
Antimatter Charge S x5000

I thought I had one with T2 turrets somewhere, but canā€™t find it yet. WIll post if I do (and if I remember to).

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.