Noctis Fitting

Since you people give really good advice on fittings. Was wondering if you have any advice on fitting a Noctis? Should I use Salvagers ll or Salvager l? Tractor Beam, l or ll? What kind of tank? For now it would be for salvaging peoples mission wrecks with their permission.

Thank you in advance, you guys are great.

2 Likes

This is the optimal fit for salvaging after nullsec combat anomalies.

[Noctis, *Simulated Noctis Fitting]
Signal Amplifier II
Signal Amplifier II
Signal Amplifier II

10MN Afterburner II
Cap Recharger II

Salvager II
Salvager II
Salvager II
Salvager II
Salvager II
Salvager II
Salvager II
Salvager II

Medium Salvage Tackle II
Medium Salvage Tackle II
Medium Salvage Tackle II

Hornet EC-300 x5

Why not tank?
You should never be undocking in a situation where you’ll be getting attacked, so tank isn’t really an issue. If you see hostiles, stay docked or reship into a combat ship and chase them off.

What’s with the 3 Signal Amplifiers in the Lows?
The Noctis has an abysmal Scan Resolution, meaning you’ll waste a ton of time locking the wrecks. Having 3 Sig Amps not only allows you to lock them faster, it also gives you increased total number of locks.

Ideally, you’ll be able to lock 8 Wrecks and salvage them all in a single go with your 8 Salvagers.

Why no Tractor Beams?
Honestly, these are a waste of time. The most efficient way to salvage is to plant an MTU in a site and let it pull in and scoop all of the wrecks. You can warp back to the MTU after it’s done and spend your entire time salvaging all of the wrecks.

Oh, and just leave the MTU there. You can come back and scoop it up with a T1 Hauler like a Nereus.

Why does it have a 10MN Afterburner?
Because you can use this to 1 cycle a warp. With poor skills, the Noctis takes around 20 seconds to enter warp. By initiating a warp, turning the AB on for one cycle, and then immediately turning it off gives you enough of a boost of speed to quickly reach the 75% Velocity threshold you need in order to enter warp.

This works because you get a boost of speed from the Afterburner. When the Afterburner is on, your maximum speed increases, but when you turn it off, your max speed drops. Add in the initial boost of speed you got when the Afterburner was on, you get to hit that 75% threshold faster.

What’s with the rigs? They’re so expensive
Expensive but worth in the long run. The better rigs you use, the more likely you will be able to one-shot each of the wrecks. If you think they’re too expensive, you can always just swap to Tech 1 rigs.

With the 8 Salvagers and Sig Amps in the lows, I can salvage an entire site’s worth of wrecks in about 2 minutes. This means less time wasted and more time I can spend moving to the next cluster of wrecks.

Salvaging is how I first got started making consistent ISK in the game. This was back in 2016 and I made my first 1b in just a month with this salvaging fit.

6 Likes

I’d add to the above that simply ignoring rigs (if they’re too expensive) is also an option :slight_smile:

Regards,
Cypr3ss.

2 Likes

Thanks for the super detailed reply, I will train for your build. Would a high sec Noctis build look any different?

It’d be pretty similar, though I’m not sure whether a heavy duty Noctis would be worthwhile in highsec.

You can always take a look into a Salvaging Destroyer first and give that a shot. An example fit would look something like:

[Cormorant, *Simulated Cormorant Fitting]
Capacitor Power Relay II
Capacitor Power Relay II

Small Cap Battery II
Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II

Salvager I
Salvager I
Salvager I
Salvager I
Salvager I
Salvager I
Salvager I
Auto Targeting System I

Small Salvage Tackle I
Small Salvage Tackle I
Small Salvage Tackle I

And it operates on the same principle. No need for a prop mod because Destroyers warp fast enough already (in fact, a Prop mod would make you take longer to enter warp). You don’t need to (and shouldn’t) activated the Auto-Targeting System. It’s mostly there to give you additional locks in case you need it.

Also, you’ll notice that all of the rest of the mods are for Capacitor and Capacitor Recharge. Destroyers have a fairly high base Scan Resolution, so you don’t need the Signal Amplifiers like you do with the Noctis. However, because a Noctis is a Cruiser hull and a Cormorant is a Destroyer hull, you’ll have a lot more difficulty maintain cap stability (Salvagers eat a lot more Cap than you’d expect on smaller hulls).

Just keep in mind that since you don’t have a prop mod, subwarp travel will be very slow. You’ll want to make sure you use an MTU to collect the wrecks first, and then warp straight into the middle of the whole wreck pile.

3 Likes

As a throw away thought:
I’ve tended to use Salvage Drones - though the dedicated salvagers have a better chance to complete.
I thus tend to fit for a mix of Tractor Beams and Salvagers (six and two) with drones out I’m tending to collect and salvage about equally.
For the Noctis, high ORE Industrial skill is important - the range and speed increase on the tractors is impressive. With good skill you can clear 100km without moving, and pull in wrecks a lot faster than a MTU can - you are rarely idle.

While the turret destroyers are a suitable stepping stone and reasonable in their own right, stepping into the Noctis really does feel like a huge upgrade in performance. I still in places use a Coercer fitted for salvaging, though I frequently use a Dragoon for highsec mission salvaging (I salvage my missions - I like tidy, it’s not about the ISK it’s about cleaning up your mess). The advantage of the Dragoon in high sec is it can also carry combat drones so you have a package that can tackle a range of light duties.

2 Likes

I agree 100%

Noctis works great and is very fast at cleaning up high lv mission sites. I mainly use mine for clearing High Sec Epic Arc mission sites.

Noctis

High Slots
5x Small Tractor Beam II
3x Salvager II

Mid Slots
1x Large Shield Extender II
1x 10MN Afterburner II

Low Slots
1x Damage Control II
2x Nanofiber Internal Structure II

Rig Slots
1x Medium Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer II
2x Medium Salvage Tackle II

Drone Bay
5x Salvage Drone I

1 Like

Another view point : As a highsec care-bear, frightened of his own shadow, I wouldn’t even undock in
the fit given above. But then high-sec is a lot more dangerous then null :slight_smile:

Much depends on how you play and how the wrecks are distributed over the space.
I use long range sentry drones a lot which makes that the wrecks are all over the place. Setting an MTU during the mission helps, but it is slow. So slow that when you go back to the loot it still hasn’t finished. So a few tractor beams on my noctis help speed up things. How many depends of course on the specific missions/anomalies. I have put here 4-4.

When I activate the 4 salvagers, I already start locking 4 new targets. Because of the not so fast locking time, the salvage is usually done before the new locks are finished. So no ‘you have too many lock’ unless a salvage fails, which doesn’t happen often with the rigs in place. Having faster lock times would actually be a hindrance for me that would get me out of my rythme :slight_smile:

I also have 1 Warp Core Stabilizer on it because I also travel outside my normal system sometimes and don’t want gate surprises. This one is of course deactivated while doing the actual salvage since it seriously impacts the range. It’s only for use during the travel back.

Since as I said the wrecks can sometimes be far away, but not far enough to jump too, I use a micro warpdrive for that range between 90-150. Even after a few seconds you are normally in range to activate your tractor beams.

I regularly have more loot in my hold then that 13.000 ehp (as has the first fit) can protect (in my opinion). I don’t think actually defending your Noctis is the best idea, so the defence is rather passive with pvp drones. This makes that I have both shield and armor tanking modules which is usually frowned upon. But it’s not like you can put something spectacular there anyway. The fit below has a bit more than 20.660 ehp (with the adaptive invulnerability running).

There is always room for improvement, but in Eve ‘good enough’ is usually better than ‘the best’.
So not too much T2 stuff. It costs a bit less then 85Million. This works for me. But what do I know :slight_smile:

[Noctis, X1]
Adaptive Nano Plating II
Damage Control II
Warp Core Stabilizer I

50MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II

Salvager I
Salvager I
Salvager I
Salvager I
Small Tractor Beam II
Small Tractor Beam II
Small Tractor Beam II
Small Tractor Beam II

Medium Salvage Tackle I
Medium Salvage Tackle I
Medium Salvage Tackle I

1 Like

Wow you got a lot of nerve. Criticizing other peoples fits when your own fit is almost the same. Next time leave out the biased critique and just post your fit so the OP can decide what he likes.

Also I’ve used my fit and variations of it for years in high sec space, never had any problems or issues with it at all. What’s really funny is you dismiss my fit which even has a bit more EHP than your own fit.

Dear DeMichael,_Crimson, my apologies for the confusion. I didn’t write this in a reaction on your fit, but on the first null-sec one which didn’t have any defensive modules . I thought that was rather clear from the text, but apparantely not. The writing of my post was interrupted by Real-life stuff for a few hours and I did not review the complete contents of the thread again before finishing it. Stupid me. The phrase ‘the fit above’ was rather badly chosen since it’s indeed relative to who posts quicker then you. Lesson learned. I will be more specific in the future.

4 Likes

Understood and no hard feelings, I just don’t think it’s a good idea to criticize anybody’s fit unless it’s blatantly apparent that it just won’t work.

There’s different situations and operational locations that require different fits for the same type of ship. Plus there’s multiple ways of fitting up that ship to basically achieve the same results.

Anyway, please excuse my brash reaction, guess I’ve been dealing with unsavory characters on these forums for way too long.

:wink:

4 Likes

That’s because defensive modules are almost useless on a noctis in NS. If you get caught, you’re dead.
a scram fit hecate will destroy your fit in 25s . a cloaky proteus in 16s. That’s less than required for people to warp on you.

The following fit compared to @Scoots_Choco
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
158 SR Before
180 SR Now
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
14% more Scan Resolution
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
12,975 EHP Before
16,102 EHP Now
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
24% More EHP
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
163,935,819.92 ISK (163.93 Million ISK) Before
163,068,090.47 ISK (163.06 Million ISK) After
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
18.38s Align Time Before
12.69s Align Time Now
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
31% Faster Align Time
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
[Noctis, NEW Noctis Fit]
Damage Control II
Inertial Stabilizers II
Nanofiber Internal Structure II

10MN Afterburner II
Sensor Booster II

Salvager II
Salvager II
Salvager II
Salvager II
Salvager II
Salvager II
Salvager II
Salvager II

Medium Salvage Tackle II
Medium Salvage Tackle II
Medium Salvage Tackle II

Hornet EC-300 x5

Scan Resolution Script x1

How did @Scoots_Choco get his fitting into a different window?

1 Like

align time is completely useless when you already align <9s with an AB.

use a sig amp in the low to increase the limit of targets. inertial stab and nanofiber are useless. use a cargohold instead of the nanofiber.

I like the fit. Just wondering, have you considered Salvage drones instead of ECM drones?

Although I do not often salvage combat anomalies, I really like my salvage drones when cleaning up after a pvp fight, because when deployed and sent to ‘attack’ without a target selected, they will automatically salvage anything on the field. Even wrecks that happen to be outside your targeting range. They won’t be able to salvage the more difficult wrecks, but it could speed up your salvaging.

Downside is not having ECM drones, but those are a last resort gamble in a situation you should have avoided anyway.

1 Like

I must be having a real bad writing day…Everyone seems to be reading something else than I intended :sob:
I completely understand why Scoots Choco flies what he flies in NS. He very clearly explained it. I have no issue with that. But the OP asked ‘what about high sec?’. I do not agree with his answer ‘pretty similar’. Allthough it will work of course. The risk in HS is rarely a hecate or proteus. It’s T1 frigates and destroyers. Having a defensive fit will scare away the lone wolf and perhaps lets a group discuss you a bit too long (assuming they scanned you). Eve is for me always about being less attractive then the next guy/girl.

2 Likes

They are useless
5 salvage drones with a X probability to salvage a wreck behave like ONE drone with a 1-(1-X)^5 chance to salvage the wreck.
With max skills, X is 0.17 and for eg large T1 wreck it is 0.27 so on a T1 BS you have 0.8 probability to salvage per cycle : At best, you salvage one wreck per cycle, so one every 10s. So a flock of salvage drone is limited to 0.1 wreck per second, or 6 wrecks per minute - ignoring their target time, movement time.

noctis has a bonus to salvagers cycle time, and each salvager is stronger than a flock of 5 drones : max skill it’s 90% chance for salvager T2 on BS wreck, 7.5s cycle so 8 * 60/7.5 * 0.9 = 57.6 wrecks per minute - almost 10 times more than salvage drones. at max it’s 64 wrecks per minute.
AFAIK any anom/security mission pocket is cleaned below 1 minute, assuming your MTU grouped everything. You can even chain salvage MTUs if you are efficient, like doing 4 pockets before salvaging. However thenoctis does not always have the cargo to move the mtus + the loot.

If you split the drones on BS wrecks, they each have 0.27 probability to salvage, so overall it’s 0.27 * 5 * 6 = 8.1 wreck / minute

even if we had salvage drone T2, they would only work as one 100% salvage drone at most, so 6 Wreck/minute, on automated ; and 5 50% drones at most, so 15 wreck/minute, on manual, assuming 50% chance at max for T2 salvage drone…

1 Like

They may be barely useful, but it’s still a small bonus considering you don’t have to do anything for them to work except throwing them out and press ‘drones attack’ once.

Is that tiny extra salvaging speed worth losing ECM drones? Up to you.

that’s not correct.
If you use a salvager on a wreck and the drones are salvaging it too, their cycle, movement, locking time is wasted.
The gain of wrecks salvaged is often 0. Because the drones will target the closest wrecks, and you so the same if you want to be efficient, therefore colliding the targets. If you want the gain to be non zero, then you need to take additional attention to the wrecks you are targeting, but with 8 salvagers to manage you can’t do that efficiently.

So in the end, what you use to make them efficient, makes you lose more than you gain from just spamming salvager - and thus you lose more when they actually do something than if you let them do nothing.

1 Like

Any benefit from them that’s bigger than 0 is an improvement in salvaging speed over ECM drones. Who cares if they sometimes cycle on a wreck that your salvagers get before the drones?

The only thing you lose by using salvage drones is ECM drones. And whether that’s worth it is up to you.

1 Like