Update for the Noctis?

Since Mobile Tractor Units, the noctis kind of feels, pointless, sad too, it was one of the first ships I aimed to fly to help salvage my friend’s L4 missions when I first started the game.

Any ideas how to change it? With MTUs everything a noctis can do, a tech 1 destroyer does better for a fraction of the price due to it having faster warp, increasing overall efficiency.

So far some of my ideas is
-Reduce build costs so that they’re closer to what a tech 1 industrial should be
-replace the salvager speed bonus with guaranteed 100% salvager attempt role bonus (no loot is still a possible)
-improve its tractor + sensor range to 2-3x the ammount of a MTU
-Give it the role ability to scan down wrecks with probes

1 Like

you can always have 8 salvager on Noctis + 5 salvage drone if MTU manage to gather every wreck by time you return with Noctis

its bonus is very good over your typical salvaging destroyer

1 Like

Most of time salvaging takes is mostly from locking up the wrecks, the speed bonus on a noctis doesn’t do much, the drones even more so.

You’re roughly paying 70x more to salvage for very little gain, and most of that extra salvage speed can be made up by the align time and warp speed of a destroyer.

1 Like

It’s difficult, the MTU really stole its thunder.

It can’t be made as cheap as a T1 hauler, but certainly could be somewhat cheaper. Bit faster to warp, bit more agile, bit more cargo. A mix of small buffs.

No salvage fail probably isn’t imbalanced, but takes away a level bonus.

Probing wrecks sounds cool if it’s doable.

3 Likes

I find that the MTU is slow if the wreck field is large, so unless you leave it an hour then there are wrecks quite far away that need to be pulled closer so I sometimes use the Noctis for that. I tend to not use salvage drones and salvage the wrecks too.

In saying that I’ve had my Noctis a while and so it may not be worth buying one if you don’t have one already.

1 Like

On the old forum someone had an idea for an AoE tractor module that I think should be unique to the Noctis, that can pull every wrecks and containers in a radius simultaneously.
Combine that with wreck probing and the Noctis will be awesome!

3 Likes

I tried a Noctis despite it being much worse and it was the most intense ship in the game to fly; tractoring, salvaging dscanning, opening and looting containers. Wish it was maybe more like a faster MTU or something. Yes really like that AoE tractor module idea.

1 Like

I usually simply drop an Imicus with salvage drones and MTU. Afk salvage as my main does the next.

If I am wanting to be more efficient I get out my catalyst.

If the Noctis had a reasonable bonus to afk salvaging (drones) I’d be all for it. Otherwise, it really isn’t worth the extra cost.

1 Like

Noctis is still the fastest salvager and tractors faster than an mtu. And an mtu can be shot in hi-sec by anyone.

The mtu has spoiled things, but not enough to warrant making the noctis ridiculously broken. Nerf the mtu before you buff the noctis. Its the mtu thats the problem.

Absolutely no afk noctis. Its the afk play of the mtu that has ■■■■■■ the salvage market. Don’t make it worse!

3 Likes

I agree that the Noctis is due for an update to make it the king of salvage again.

Two ideas:

1. As a role bonus, either allow the bonus to tractor beam range (+60% per lvl) to be stacked, or replace the current tractor range bonus with a flat +25km per level. Either way, that should max out tractor beam range at between 120km and 130km at level V. Keep the tractor beam speed bonus (maybe even knock down to 50% per level). A sensor booster with range script would be required to take advantage of this.

2. Give the Noctis a better bonus to salvaging. Something like +5 to +10% salvaging chance per level of Ore Industrial. Could probably go down to two rig slots to help balance this.

Edit - Nerfing the MTU would probably be another good way to make the Noctis the king of salvage, but would probably go over like a lead balloon with the majority of the Eve community (including myself).

Noctis is fine. Nothing salvages as well for a dedicated salvage pilot.
Don’t like it, don’t use it.
There are viable alternatives.

Give it a faster align time if you insist on changing it.

2 Likes

I think this is the main problem here.

1 Like

turn it into a decent industrial. the ore line up could use one.

What if they got rid of the MTU and basically give the auto tractoring ability to it

1 Like

Pretty sure I vomited that idea up at one point in time -,…,-

I wouldn’t mind seeing better align time and/or smaller mass, a salvage hold a slightly bigger standard hold. Should be able to pick up at least 4 combat sites worth of junk without needing to cargo expand and rig for it. Balance as needed.

1 Like

why? for more AFK play?
no, just shut up now.

Rude.

Isn’t most activity in the game pretty passive already? Noctis tractors in for you but you still have to lock the wrecks and salvage.

1 Like

What’s the problem? The ship works well as intended. MTU didn’t suddenly make the Noctis bad.
shrugs…

If I had to make a real suggestion:

Allow tractoring of yellow wrecks if your safety is off (with the application of suspect timer).
Ninja salvage ftw…

3 Likes

It would be cool, main problem is, it would propablly affect salvage materials prices in negative way, and that would kick in ass relics exploration. It would be fun profession - scrap metal collector.