Rate my VNI build

Hi folks, this is my first week playing EVE, this vni ship may be used for my future L2, L3 mission. How is my build going?

High
link augmentor I x 2

Mid
100mn mono AB x 1
cap recharger I x 3

Low
cap flux I x 1
medium armor repairer II x 2
drone dmg amp II x 3

Rig
cap circuit I x 3

Drone
ogre II x 5

It will be fine for L2-3 missions, but keep in mind 100mns increase your velocity very very slowly, and also make it very hard to make sharp turns.

Generally, a 50mn MWD would be favorable, as it gives quick speed and good turn rates.

currently VNI is too exp for me as a newbie atm, 80mil (inc mod), how about the Vexor? Is Vexor differ much from VNI? Its very cheap to fit (15mil with 10mil insurance payout) but with significantly low dmg output from vni

how much dps need to 1v1 in lowsec/0.0sec? can i fight with vni as a newb at there?

armor 70hp/s regen is overkill? in PVE or PVP? my EHP only 12k

what you want to do with this VNI?
looks like a PVE VNI and i would not use this fit
yes its stable but … why you need that?
100mn afterburner … this is a cruiser … you use a 10mn AB or a 50mn MWD on that size usually

Vexor and Vexor Navy are different … i think its different in bonus, slots and other stuff

again … what you want to do with it?
what you mean with

PVP? with this fit? guess thats not a good idea … i give you 1 or 2 mins and then you are done …

JuuR

guys if you don’t know what you are talking about, don’t give bad advices. Most VNI draw benefit from fitting a 100mn AB which allows to speed tank. You orbit at speed higher than 700-800m/sec and npcs cannot hit you.

OP : usually add an omnidirectional tracking link with script (mid) and an ominidir tracking enhacer (low) to help you drones to shoot small ships. You don’t need 2x medium armor rep, only one. And a cap battery in mid is good also.
PS: to be cap stable, pay attention to the skill “fuel conservation” which reduces the cap consumtpion of the AB

@Wyk_Bathana

yea its right you can speed tank but … with THIS fit? really`? its capstable not more but if you think its a good fit … whatever you want … really i dont care … i will see it on the killboard

i didnt found “bloodchow” on zkill or evewho so i think its a really new char … maybe it would be better to just use a VNI as most do with a tank and not with a speedtank he has not the right skills for yet

i found a char “bloodchow2” and its from the 14th Oct 2018 https://evewho.com/pilot/bloodchow2/
can be the same guy but there is no proof

and still i have no idea what this means:

he can go everywhere with his VNI but i guess he will be shot in no time … he needs help to learn basics … skill for the ship and mods he needs

speedtank a VNI with a 100mn is not really the thing for the first weeks/months …

@bloodchow mybe you find a newb friendly corp to learn some suff and get help and protections for your first steps into low sec and null sec

JuuR

ab instead of armor rep to speed tank, sounds cool can try

tracking mod for hitting small ship is significant?

haha stalker

im indeed new to eve (1 week only), i havent been to actual pvp yet ;D

i created my 2nd acc used for exploration probing in the wormhole, and then died xD

im not really new to MMO, i have years exp in other MMO like Archeage, i usually run 2 acc in 1 comp, 1 for doing real job, another 1 for scouting map

hi @bloodchow

then my thoughts were right
yea you can go with a 100mn VNI to speedtank but i would recommend you find a new player friendly corp to get help in question like this and other stuff like skillplan and such things

a place to ask and get usefull answers
there are corps who do that

hope you find a good place

JuuR

Juur is right, this is a MMO, find a corp, you will get fits, advices, tips, friends, common goals etc

My comment was about the post which said “hey VNI is a cruiser, don’t use a 100MN AB! use a 10mn or a 50mn mwd”. Whereas most people actually fit a 100mn AB

here is my ratting VNI fit. I also have a shield tanking fit somewhere
[Vexor Navy Issue, Vexor Navy Issue]
Omnidirectional Tracking Enhancer II
Medium Armor Repairer II
Drone Damage Amplifier II

Drone Navigation Computer II
100MN Monopropellant Enduring Afterburner
Omnidirectional Tracking Link II
Medium Compact Pb-Acid Cap Battery

Drone Link Augmentor II
Auto Targeting System I

Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I

Warrior II x5
Praetor II x6
Hornet EC-300 x5

Tracking Speed Script x1

And for OP: either you want a VNI fit for pve, or you want a fit for pvp. But most often, if your pve ship is attacked by pvpers you will die gloriously and quickly.

hi

your fit looks better … definitely
i would not fir 4x Drone Damage Amplifier II … the drawback is huge but thats just a personal thing

1st mod: 100.0% effectiveness
2nd mod: 86.9% effectiveness
3rd mod: 57.1% effectiveness
4th mod: 28.3% effectiveness
5th mod: 10.6% effectiveness
6th mod: 3.0% effectiveness

now to the AB vs MDW:

in PYFA:
VNI with 100mn AB II goes 1410m/s with all skills level 5
VNI with 50mn MWD II goes 1887m/s with all skils on level 5

the MDW needs only 13% CPU ans 16.5% PG
the AB needs 13% CPU ans 68.80% PG

now thats a huge difference for being slower then with the MDW

ok all with all skills level 5 so you will be a bit slower but still the 50mn should be faster

i checked for my char in EVE direct:

a nacked VNI with only the 50mn MWD T2 goes 1900m/s
a nacked VNI with only a 100mn AB T2 goes 1419.45m/s
with wasting near 70% Powergrid

i dont have your meta version of the 100mn AB but the highest meta is 1334.68m/s

thats with my skills and no rigs or other modules fitted
pyfa has bit different numbers but all in all very near

so i dont understand why you need a 100mn AB but you are faster with a 50mn MWD

and for the OP: yea with a PVE fit you usually have no chance in PVP

JuuR

To be fully honest, i use 100mn AB because many people in null sec use it. I never had to think about switching for a 50mn mwd. I am not sure that you are cap stable with a 50mn mwd running permanently. Could you check on pyfa?
Cap stability is very important because this fit is a fit for semi-afk ratting. Not fully afk, because sometimes your drones stop shooting npcs, or because you have to recall drones when they are targeted. But very efficient in a semi afk (like mining on a second account, etc…)

edit: i have just checked in-game: yes i am also cap stable with a 50 mn mwd, if i don’t have to activate my armor rep.
If you use your armor rep, my fit with my skills give a 6min30sec of cap with 100mn AB but only 01:30 with 50mn mwd…

And flying at 1420m/s or 1900m/s is the same, because npcs don’t hit you if your speed is higher than around 700-800 m/s

@Wyk_Bathana

if you dont get hit after 700-800m/s you dont need a armor rep … so no need to run it permanent

you are even faster with the MWD so you get less hits … so less armor rep

anyways … i would not do it but i dont do semi afk stuff anyways

JuuR

i would go with something like that:

[Vexor Navy Issue, Vexor Navy Issue fit]

Damage Control II
Medium Armor Repairer II
800mm Steel Plates II

50MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
Omnidirectional Tracking Link II, Tracking Speed Script
Sensor Booster II, Scan Resolution Script
Drone Navigation Computer II

Small S95a Scoped Remote Shield Booster
Small Solace Scoped Remote Armor Repairer
[Empty High slot]
[Empty High slot]

Medium Anti-Explosive Pump II
Medium Trimark Armor Pump I
Medium Trimark Armor Pump I

Hornet II x5
Ogre II x5
Salvage Drone I x5
Warrior II x5

Targeting Range Script x1
Optimal Range Script x1

you can esy go with meta versions of any module too

JuuR

actually, sometimes you need your armor rep at the beginning when you land, it takes some seconds to reach your speed, and you take some damage. And sometimes you don’t pay attention and you bump into a rock, and then your speed falls down and you take a good amount of damage. That’s when armor rep is interesting. But you are right most often you don’t use it

yea that can happen … but you need it only a short time

i would start with a basic fit

JuuR

I also prefer some armor that can be repped. I wonder how a one week char applies Ogre II drones, I needed months alone to skill Ogre I - are you investing in skillpoints?

Anyway, here are my thoughts:
Low slots: I am fan of Damage Control modules for they are quite versatile, and a proper armour plate which does not depend on your cap (“passive tank”).
Med slots: If you try to kill smaller rats (esp. L2 Missions), you need a Drone Navigation Computer or your Ogres won’t stand a chance to hit a frig. A Target Painter makes your opponents even easier to hit, and a web slows them down. You won’t meet any Battleships in L2 and scarcely any in L3, for which Ogres are intended weapon of choice.
High slots: An Auto Targeting System enables you to target additional ships and works automatically after some seconds. That can be handy when waves of rats come in, but it takes some cap and a high slot. I prefer some good old Railguns for real pewpew feeling.
Drones: For ratting you always should have some small T2 drones in hold, because webbing and scrambling frigs can be a real pita. And the small drones kill frigs better than big ones (and are way easier to skill). 5 small drones need just the space and bandwidth of one Ogre.
Rigs: There are some nice drone rigs to make your VNI even more deadly. Or you give your ship a speed boost. So if you don’t rely too much on cap, you have nice alternative rigs you may fit.

All of this is just experience of a still young player for a fellow young player. Higher skills and more specialization definitely lead to better results, but you need some experience and many mistakes to get a feeling how all these modules work and collaborate. In the end just try all of them in different combinations and see what happens. But be aware that some months later better skills lead to different results, that’s really amazing in EVE.

1 Like

The OP wishes to PVP in the VNI? Surely his first module fitted should be a point? No use trying to solo anything if it can just warp away

Sig bloom caused by the MWD. An active MWD causes your signature radius to increase by 500%. That pushes your cruiser to a signature radius larger than that of a Battleship. This makes it much easier for enemies to lock you and for their turrets to hit you, effectively counteracting all the benefits of the increased speed and then some.

Running a speed-tanked VNI fit with a MWD is a very bad idea for this reason.