Recharge Rate Values Question

Hi All,

Brand newbie here. I have a question concerning shield recharge rates. Below is a Cormorant I’ve fitted with bad skills, but proper modules in a cap stable fashion.

https://imgflip.com/i/29hsh9

My question is concerning the four values I’ve circled in red under recharge rates. First, under the shield recharge, I show 4.66 and 7.34. What do those mean? Is 4.66 the time in seconds it takes my shield to go from 0% - 98% and 7.34 the time in seconds to get the last 2% restored? Secondly, under my shield boost section, I show two numbers; 18 & 28. I have a small shield booster II fit to this ship, and the specs on that mod say 35 HP shield bonus, so I don’t know what 18 and 28 are supposed to represent. What I do know is if I pull the mod off, both values drop to zero.

To your first question, I believe that is correct.

To your second question, what I believe you are seeing there is the difference between HP- raw hit points and EHP-Effective Hit Points. The later factors in your damage resists as a percentage.

The lightning bolt symbol overlaid on the shield usually means passive shield recharge rate.
If that’s true, then the number on top is raw hp, no resists included. The second number is effective hp restored after resists.
On the booster, check your booster’s cycle time. If it’s around 2 seconds, then 35/2 is the expected value for hp/s.

Thanks All. Good information. I also put this post up on the Eve Reddit. Below is the best response from that thread for your reference:

If im reading this correctly then 4,66 is the HP/s whilst the 7,34 is the EHP/s (after resists n stuff). The left one is passive regen (shields always regen on their own but at a slow pace) whilst the right one is your booster.

Its not about 0-100%, just about how much per second.

And it takes several seconds for boosters to run a cycle so its still 35 HP/cycle (not including skills) which is the same as 18hp/s in your case. But effectively (after resists) its 28hp/s.

So adding numbers from the left column plus the right equals your true regen. Be careful about EHP numbers as they include resists but you perhaps dont have resists against what is being fired upon you (the number is weighted based on all resists).

1 Like

That sounds about right :blush:

A few things…

first, the image itself says what the numbers are. HP/s and EHP/s.

Secondly, my 3 rules for EVE: 1) don’t mix guns, 2) don’t mix tanks 3) whoever controls the range wins. Rule 2 applies here. If you’re in an active tank situation (shield boosters) then your passive regen is irrelevant, don’t fit for it, don’t even waste any thought on it. There are lots of good reasons for this, but for now just take it for granted that the exceptions to this rule involve some fairly advanced tactics.

That number for your passive regen is somewhat misleading. The recharge time stat from the show-info window is the time it takes for your shields to go from 0% to 100%. So the recharge rate stat is derivative (and wasn’t always even available in the client.) TotalHP / RechargeTime = RechargeRate. Sort of. Except cap and shield recharge rate isn’t linear. The fastest rate is at about 60% HP and lowest closer to 100% and 0%. If you play around with passive shield tank loadouts, you’ll find that as soon as your HP drops below that 60%ish range, your tank is probably broken and you probably won’t survive (unless you can quickly reduce some incoming DPS.)

The reddit reply sort of touches on the idea that EHP is also kind of a lie. When CCP added it into the client, they had to use more generic math than the existing player-made tools could use. With other tools you could put in specific damage profiles based on who you expect to be up against so you’d know how well your tank would hold against specific enemies. When EHP was added to the client, they went off the assumption that you can’t know what you’ll be up against making the number only especially useful when you’re going up against all 4 damage types at once, which almost never happens.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.