Recommended DPS Output

Similar style to the Machariel that I use for missions, not sure how well a similar build will work with a Tempest. With all relevant skills to lvl 5 it’ll do 1269 dps with RF Phased Plasma or 1392 with Hail.

[Tempest, Tempest lvl 4s]
Gyrostabilizer II
Gyrostabilizer II
Gyrostabilizer II
Damage Control II
Large Armor Repairer II
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II

Tracking Computer II, Optimal Range Script
Heavy Electrochemical Capacitor Booster I, Navy Cap Booster 800
500MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive

800mm Repeating Cannon II, Republic Fleet Phased Plasma L
’Arbalest’ Heavy Missile Launcher, Caldari Navy Mjolnir Heavy Missile
’Arbalest’ Heavy Missile Launcher, Caldari Navy Mjolnir Heavy Missile

Large Projectile Collision Accelerator II
Large Anti-Explosive Pump I
Large Anti-Kinetic Pump I

Hammerhead II x5
Warrior II x5

1 Like

The Mach has a range bonus to make it tolerable though. Why not shield tank this and get tracking extenders in the lows, and nos instead of missiles.

1 Like

Because the OP asked for armor as his preference and being in NOS range isn’t where you want to be. The general idea behind this and the similar fit Mach is to basically kill everything before cap is even really an issue. Also he specified the Tempest as his ship of choice :smiley:

1 Like

Your max falloff is going to be what, like 35km? I haven’t a Tempest on hand to check so I legit don’t know. But that’s pretty much nos range and you only do like 50% dps at max falloff…

1 Like

Don’t shoot the messenger :stuck_out_tongue: literally providing a solution to what the OP asked. I agree that a Machariel is a much better, albeit more expensive choice.

Anyway:

Barrage 8.5+69km
Hail 4.2+37km
RF PP 4.2+50km

He could maybe get a medium and heavy nos on there.

Heavy 20+10km
Medium 10+5km

I think a NOS is a perfectly acceptable alternative, but at the same time if you’re killing things at a reasonable rate the extra DPS would be more beneficial.

1 Like

You should also be aware, that while dps+tank>1000 is a good guideline, the less dps you have, say 400, more sustained your tank needs to be, which loses you application/utility/even dps.

with 400dps you’ll need pretty much perma 600tank, which in most ships require ton of modules to pull off and you’ll get bored to death killing high repping battleships. you can always just run the really easy lvl4’s that require miniscule tank (use evesurvival to see which ones) while mainly doing lvl3s and waiting for better skills.

once you get 600+ dps with decent application&range you can start actually considering lvl4s more seriously, but still it might be better to turn down the really tank heavy ones, so you dont have to overtank your ship.

800+ dps seems like the sweet spot for missions, when you can just rely on boost tanking withouy cap stability at all.

1 Like

Sorry for making this backwards but I think you will benefit from me doing it backwards this way.
So your fit includes two unbonused heavy missiles launchers and I also recommend using 2x nos instead. The nos is for keeping you alive long enough to kill of the most annoying things.

And here is a piloting tip for you, so you have an easier time dealing with smaller targets, like frigates and destroyers. Those are the most annoying ships to deal with in any kind of pve.
What you need to do is, you fly in the opposite direction of the frigates and destroyers and fly away from them, preferably in a straight line.
Use your mwd for that. The tempest is a fast ship, so you will have no trouble getting some distance to the smaller ships.
When you fire your guns at 20-25km -ish, you can hit them much better, so prioritize them first, unless they are a trigger to another incoming wave (The Blockade mission and Vengeance - Blood Raider level 4).
If you have trouble with cruisers, you can do the same maneuver and deal with them the same way.
For NPC battleships like Angel (Gistum) Nephilim or Angel Warlords, you have to do the opposite and if you can spare the one second it takes, look at the bounty tag they have - the higher the bounty, the more difficult they are (as in, have more hitpoints) to shoot.

Whenever your tank is beginning to fail, fear not and get some range to your targets - the higher the range, the less damage you have to deal with.

Consider training Micro Jump Drive Operation to at least level 3 and fit a large micro jump drive unit on the tempest.
Since you are running an armor tank, you should have the powergrid to fit one.

Not necessarily, I hear the tempest is doing fine since the last buff, so stay with the tempest.

That is okay, if you don’t like missiles, don’t use them. Most tech 1 battleships will run level 4 missions just fine.
It is up to you, what you like better.

There you go, no reason not to fly one then.

I can tell you from experience that more expensive doesn’t mean it is a better ship. In fact, most people will tell you they aren’t.

In the Amarr line up, the Abaddon is just terrible but the most expensive tech one Amarr battleship.
Some people like it for doing missions, I really don’t. It is better to leave that choice up to you.

All the others already told you to get your support skills up and of course they are right to tell you that.
Here is a suggestion, train them to level 4, so you don’t get insane waiting for a skill to level 5.
Level 4 is okay in most cases and when you have them skills at level 4, you can still go back and begin to train some (not all) of them to the magic level 5.

Say, you train gunnery 4, projectile turret level 5 (I’m sorry for that but if you insist on t2 guns, there is no way around it), surgical strike 4, controlled bursts 4 (not super important, since projectile turrets don’t use cap at all), the other gunnery skills 4, drones 5, light drone operation 4, medium drone operation 4, heavy and sentry drone operation 4, the drone skills like avionics (I think) level 4 and minmatar battleship level 4.
What you don’t need (yet) is the armor compensation skills at level 5, level 4 is fine for many years and the same holds true for the shield compensation skills, level 4 will be fine for a long time.
As for the projectile specialization skills, level 3-4 is fine (since they only give a +2% damage bonus, it boils down to a number fetish on the fitting screen. You can train those many years from now.
If you skill-que looks too long at the moment, try getting said skills to level 3 first, that should give you enough power going forward.

There are some missions that you will not be able to handle very good at first but I promise it will get better.
Be very careful with The Blockade, Angel Extravaganza, Guristas Extravaganza, Silence the Informant (room 2) and try to avoid (decline) faction missions like Enemies Abound (Gallente).
I don’t know the minmatar missions versus the Amarr Empire but the NPCs will be names after them (Amarr, Caldari, Gallente, Mordus,…).

Those will tank your empire standings over time and you may try to avoid behind hunted by the faction police.
Being “denied” access to the Amarr Empire may hurt in your empire (high-sec) stay, since the Amarr have the largest amount of systems in high-sec.

Mordus are very close friends with the Caldari
The Amarr and Caldari are on very friendly terms
The minmatar republic and the Amarr Empire don’t like each other very much
The Gallente and Calari always had hostile encounters after the war ended

Messing with Mordus too often will tank your Caldari standings
Messing with the Amarr too much will tank your standing with the largest highsec empire
If you live in minmatar space, you won’t get to mess with the Gallente at all

Happy shooting!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.