Remembering Where We Come From

Viktor and Verity Valate.
A town on a planet in Delve.
Older sisters Victoria, Vanessa, Veronica, and Violet. Younger brother Vincent.
I haven’t told them yet.

Or on my bedside cabinet.

Creepy

3 Likes

I See. Interesting.

I also had a Number, but I had thought that my own Upbringing was Very Much Dissimilar to most other Human People, so it was Unexpected to discover that Other Human People had Project Numbers allocated to them.

And what was your project number?

That’s boring.

I get assigning numbers to people for administrative purposes (I have a Citizen ID Number, which I will NOT be sharing), but referring to someone by their number instead of their name seems really dehumanizing.

Its really not that big of a deal. Its just a concise way to convey information about the individual better than an arbitrary name.

YM-i137.b011.g03

Yasunan Makivaal, Individual 137, Batch 11, Generation 3.

The 7th Makivaal Rymata had two other 137s of different batches (one of them not even genetically related to me) but both were gone early on, so the “137” would be used in most contexts, since we were of uniform generation and mostly uniform batches. In the rare times where we’d mingle with other groups and more “formal” occasions, such as official assessments, either the full serial would be used or, when we were old enough to have earned it, our actual name.

I’ll be honest, when I posted this topic, I completely forgot how many capsuleers are tube-born. It’s been… interesting to hear their experiences.

1 Like

My mother was Sierra Heivind. She served as a first mate on her brother Cid’s ship. Those two were raised as Thukkers by Thukkers, even though a Caldari privateer was the one who sired them. On their journeys in search of fortune they ended up as mercs on Mandate border. At some point they recruited a seasoned cannoneer to the crew, who eventually became my dad.
My father is Jeremija (read as “Yeremiya”) Adović of Clan Vyks, Sebiestor Tribe, a man of many talents, a known chick-magnet and a veteran of many conflicts - in space and planetside alike. Him and mother settled down for a more peaceful life. They still contributed to people’s cause however - developing planetary defenses, comm networks and such. When I was 5, mom got killed in the events of a conspiracy. And from there on I was raised by my dad and uncle Cid. So when you hear me making cheesy jokes and weird puns - that’s my old man speaking in me, when you hear me yell at people for no good reason and use excessive amount of coarse words - that’s Cid)

I was born on board of an airship. If that doesn’t ring a bell, an airship is pretty much a spaceship adapted for suborbital travel - usually a Wreathe or a Sigil industrial fitted with high-efficiency atmospheric turbofans and additonal lifting surfaces. Not a very practical solution on most planets, but quite viable on low-g ones - such as my homeworld, Eszur-I (Essin, Metropolis) or Maika as we used to call it. Used to be an agricultural planet, even though quite an arid one, before it faced a natural disaster caused by insurgency of amarrian holders.
I grew up in Glasveg, a city on Bosboger-I. Not that common for a lowsec colony to be an actual city. But Bos-I’s high gravity presents good opportunities for mining diamonds, so aye, go figure. Spirits bless my old man for not being that dumb as to take us from Eszur-I straight to Bos-I. He’d have two bags of goulash instead of kids otherwise. But as we spent a couple of years in milder environment before that, we’re just pain-resistant PTD-psychos :smiley: Played some skyball in high school, even made it into Bos Bogeys youth team. Maybe childhood low-g tomfoolery helped. Thought I’d be an ace player one day, but oh well, what we assume is hardly what Spirits arrange.

Wee boi Ratko, my brother. A capsuleer too - seems that hell of cocktail which runs in our veins is somehow what a pod wants. Doubt he’d ever make it without my connections tho - he’s not the sharpest tool in the shed, but a gud lad nonetheless, heart of gold. He looks up to me. Which bothers me sometimes as I’m concerned he’d might learn from my poor decisions and do something really daft. Like how he jetcanned his own skyball career - actually had it going as a defender, slowly but steadily. Turned out, his whole goal all the way was to meet Bogeys’ top bombardier in field, coincidentially, my youth team former captain and my former crush. So that blockhead rams him so hard, that the guy breaks his both legs and four ribs on top of that. I watched the holo - Ratko wasn’t even trying to make it look as a legit body-check. I heard poor bastard did recover eventually, but his spot as a top-shot was taken. And of course his fans sought revenge. Or his friends, dunno really. Ever heard of ‘glasvegian smile’? That’s what they did to Ratko, what they got back from him was even worse. Guess who was pulling that moron from all from all the judical shite that followed.
There’s also Agnieszka, my… fook’s that called? Second cousin? She’d know for sure. My granny was her gramps’ sister. We were best buddies as toddlers, but barely met outside holo ever since. As much of a shrewd snake as she is, she helped me a bunch in rough times. It was also her who convinced me to dig into family tree a bit and run some numbers. I used to think, I’m mostly Sebiestor, but turned out I’m as much or almost as much of a Thukker, with Deteis blood just barely behind those two. Poor thing married Cid eventually, can’t even imagine what their family life is like :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
That is as much as I am willing to share about my siblings.

Considering that my ties brought some of my relatives into the goo as well? Damn proud. Well, maybe not all of the clansfolk. Clan’s integrity got kinda complicated as of who’s closer to official Clan leadership and who should have more saying in the Tribe. Makes my brain hurt if I think of it too much. But I doubt it would lead to in-clan violence anytime soon and that’s all that matters.

2 Likes

I’m not sure how many people I want to know my back story in case someone tries to use my old family Fedo’s name to login to my GalNet accounts.

Let’s just say this: my parents were baseliners who crewed a mining ship for a certain group of people to make ends meet and to ensure I was fed and watered - a hard job when our kind strip whole systems of their ore deposits less than an hour. One day a capsuleer miner blew their ship up, hoovered up all the ore and ran off to the bank to cash in their bounty cheque.

I don’t think joining CODE. after that was that unreasonable and I still believe to this day that capsuleer mining is keeping baseliner populations in a state of economic squalor unnecessarily.

1. My parents were Konsta Tereven and Aliisa Hakman. They met through a CMA, got married and work in insurance sales at an Ishukone subsidiary.

2. I was born and raised in Landfall City. My family lived near the center, where the buildings give way to the parks surrounding Landfall Shrine.

3. I had one brother, Lauri Tereven, but he is no longer with us in the flesh.

4. They always wanted my brother and I to make it further in life than they did. Originally that entailed a career as a Capsuleer market broker. Apparently my grades and recommendations were good enough to be considered for Capsuleer training. Neither I nor my family expected that, but we are all honoured by it and grateful for it. They have been nothing but supportive since we originally got the news, and I still spend most of my time outside of the pod at the family home.

5 Likes

1, My Lady and family matriarch, my great ‘Aunt’ who took me as a ward after my parent’s death from a plague that began within the slave population. A proud woman of devout faith. A firm believer in the good that the True Faith’s work in the Reclaiming did for our humble and once wayward Udorian blood, leading her to unceasingly engage in her own Holder responsibilities to bring the wayward to the One True God.

2, Born on Tash-Murkon Prime III and then raised planet side on V where I attended schools run under the order of the Speakers of Truth. Once I was of sufficient age to begin rudimentary capsuleer training in the Hedion University early educational intervention programs.

3, Yes, a distant elder sister who has taken the hand of one from the Khandid Kingdom.

4, I was brought to the heights of my family fold for a purpose much greater than myself. In a sense, it was a sacrifice for them, to raise and then put one of their blood through the process of being a capsuleer. Upon my first extinguishing, and reawakening at the University facility, I was no longer a part of the family proper, as such is the gulf which the clone blood has to the natural. It was a mild emotional trouble to endure, but also met a far greater need, facilitating the putting aside of base sentimentality to have a capsuleer at a Holder’s call. Upon taking to the stars, my faith has only been greatly magnified with my taking of the personal spiritual responsibility in the Reclaiming. With the times of ages now open to myself, I can now, unlike many my ancestors, see through the nine generations, or so, of slaves through the toil and tribulation of being brought to the faith and Reclaimed. As my Lady sent me out to bring new slaves to her holdings, to bring to the True Faith under her efforts, we were both quite moved by the realization of all the good we, God willing, would engage in on behalf of those lost but beloved children put under us by Providence.

As said in an ancient Udorian dialect before the arrival on Amarr Island, Βιοί γαρ ουδείς ον προαιρείται βίον, Nobody lives the life he chooses to live.

To answer this question I might reflect upon a myth among the Achur. That in the beginning there was a Godhead who for eternity dreamed and in that dream all was as it should be. One day however, a malformed thought arose in the Godhead, and from that thought was born a new God ignorant of its true nature. Unknowing that it was merely a thought of the Godhead, it proclaimed itself the Creator and manifested reality to be its master.

I am not the product of zygote and birth, but rather much like the Achur myth I am the product of the malformed thoughts of an infomorph capsuleer. I am, as far as I know, the manifestation of technology and madness given form into what I am now, cultivated after some years of violence and moral dissolution. Once, where I was only within the mind of another I have now taken my own form to do as I will.

So I suppose I have “mother,” or at the very least a female host from which my gestalt consciousness arose from within.

Where I was born is an interesting question with many answers.

As for where I grew up, I have fond memories traveling in the Bleak Lands and Heimatar in my formative youth.

No.

My “mother” is likely extremely disappointed I am out and about. It’s okay, I hate her too.

1 Like

My mother Oa Milum was a Vherokior mystic living on the surface of Altbrard VI when my father Y’Teres, a Thukker combat pilot, arrived with his caravan for an extended stay in orbit around the planet. She had been invited up to the orbiting fleet to help perform a Voluval ceremony, where the two crossed paths, and soon fell in love.

By the time the caravan was ready to depart, they had become inseparable, and my mother was pregnant. With hope and ambition for her new family, and an offer to join with the caravan, my mother left her quiet home world for the vastness of space. I was born a few months later in the Great Wildlands, a twin to my brother Ay Milum.

Our youth was spent aboard the monstrous ships that housed the Caravan, training and preparing for a mysterious and prophetic war that was frequently alluded to, yet sparsely understood, but for it’s certainty.

Those years of prophecy and training would end up coalescing, as if overnight, into what has become known as the Elder War.

We were 19, and my brother and I saw our first combat in the assault over Sarum Prime. For my father and brother, it would also be their last…

More than just the deaths of my father and brother, our caravan took catastrophic losses in the surprise attack, and was left a tattered remnant of it’s former glory…

Those of us who survived faced an existential crisis, and the potential disintegration of our beloved space family. In the end, it was my mother who, in a vision of inspiration, saw the opportunity to immortalize the soul of our caravan, by sending some of the fleet’s brightest to become candidates for the budding capsuleer program.

The pride in my mother’s eyes after hearing of my nomination by the caravan’s chieftains, is the first thing I see upon waking from the deaths I endure, and is what drives me to each end.

2 Likes
  • Who were your parents? If you don’t know, who took care of you growing up?

As strange as it seems, I don’t remember them at all. My memories are as short as my last clone jump, and I learned to not care much about a too long past. I have a mentoring figure above me, though. A woman. Dark figure, not evil, just cold. Mother?

• Where were you born? Where did you grow up?

In the explosion of a ship. Was it a venture, or a cormorant? I was born here, trying to survive, desperately… I died.
And then, miracle. I was here again. Immaculated, inside a new body… Wondering who the f*** I was.

• Do you have any siblings?

None that I know. But maybe you all too. Capsuleers are my siblings, losts souls flowing through a neverending river of bloody stars!

• How did your family feel about you becoming a capsuleer?

All of this is just unknown darkness to me. Maybe I don’t even know what it’s not to be a capsuleer?

What? A delivered baby in a ship that would be destroyed in a matter of seconds and to save you they immediately transfered your consciousness to a random body? Is this legal according the Capsuleer program!?

Hm. No-- that would have come through without language skills and functional knowledge, Mr. Lafisques. This sounds more like my experience: a damaged (or maybe partial) infomorph. Although also a bit more like classic amnesia in this case, with hints of memory still present and perhaps more still buried.

The lack of background data-- the uncertainty about identity-- is what’s curious to me. Usually that sort of thing kind of follows a pilot around. Its loss implies a story.

Yeah but according to her story, all happened during her birth, unless “I was born in an explosion” meant the last thing she remembered…