Required advice on a decent Skiff build

Have after much pondering desided to upgrade from a Procurer to a Skiff but need advice on fittings and rigs I should have… I really don’t want to go to any bigger capacity ship’s as I do not have hours upon hours to even get close to fill the likes of Hulk’s, Orca type exhumers…

Am fitting the 2 high slots with modulated srip miners probably level 2…

But what rigs and medium and medium slots should I use ? (2 rig, 5 medium, 3 low)

Drones intend to have a mix of combat for bloods and some slavage for the remains of those that are defeated…

Also Should I surrender a high fitting for a cloaking device ?

[Skiff, *Simulated Skiff Fitting]
Mining Laser Upgrade II
Damage Control II
Mining Laser Upgrade II

Multispectrum Shield Hardener II
Medium Shield Extender II
Multispectrum Shield Hardener II
Medium Shield Extender II
EM Shield Amplifier II

Strip Miner I
Strip Miner I

Medium Core Defense Field Extender II
Medium Core Defense Field Extender II

(almost) nothing will touch you with over 90k ehp and you’ll be safe from virtually all low effort ganks. don’t use modulated strip miners unless you’ve got the specialization skills for the crystals.

Modulated Strip Miners (empty) will mine less than a Strip Miner I. They double their mining amount if you use a crystal (for the specific rock you’re mining), but that requires additional skills.

2 Likes

Pretty much spot on.

Altho back when I was both ore/ice mining I used an unrigged skiff which was packaged with kit in a container, both placed in the fleet hanger of a fast fitted Porpoise. That way you can roam the ice & ore all over, compress locally and haul in the Porp’s ore hold. Not as relevent now with the demise of moon mining, hisec mining nerf etc.

Porp makes a good truck for all that but also makes a good salvage platform for bookmarked combat sites plus you can fit an expanded launcher for hunting nice expensive drones that have been abandoned.

1 Like

The build you quoted above does not work I have had to remove one of the shield extenders to use 2 strip miners as there is not enough CPU capacity for the fit you have suggested …

That’s mostly due to the skills that you haven’t trained yet. With max skills it should fit easily.

If the problem is CPU, my bet is that you need to finish training Mining Upgrades to Level 5 for the additional CPU penalty reduction.

If the problem is Power Grid, my bet is that you need to finish training Shield Upgrades to Level 5 for the additional PG use reduction.

For the time being, you can drop from T2 Medium Shield Extenders to either a Meta or Faction one, depending on which fitting resource you need:

If you’re short on Power Grid, use a Compact or Republic Fleet
If you’re short on CPU, use a Compact or Caldari Navy

If you still have CPU problems, reduce the T2 Shield Hardeners for the Compact variety and you’ll save up a lot of CPU (at the expense of less resistances).

You are probably correct I will make sure my skill set is adopted to the measures it needs for the fit I have some reductions in place but it is obvious I need to max them out … I’ll look to be doing this hopefully today… Thanks for all the advice …

Seems I have maxed out all the obvious CPU reductions am looking at different shield types as they suggest a little more reduction in CPU usage … With one slot in medium now unoccupied/off line I have remaining 29.4 left not enough for the other extender at 35 required so I may have to go for a level 1 instead there which I understand requires 28 til I at least get my skills up to scratch in the various shield types, pity there is not one to cover using the multispectrum so am guessing i need all types from thermal, to kinetic …

With only 2 MLU on the skiff, you will of course have a better yield than a procurer, but nothing to jump to the roof… and the assets put at risk are much more expensive…

If you mine solo in LS with no support to defend you in case of trouble, a better tank most of the time will make you suffer longer but you will die anyway… It’s up to you to decide if you want to take that risks. A procurer yield is less but for a veteran miner, the loss of a procurer is affordable…

Anyway, one another advantage of the skiff compared to the procurer is that you can have 3 sets of light drones. so use the third set to carry 5 x Hornet EC-300. It’s an extra (and last chance) cover in case you are caught.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.