[RESOLVED] 20211116 - Issue with Avast Antivirus and the EVE launcher

Imagine not having your game folders added as an exclusion in your AV software to entirely negate this

What is this, 2004?

2 Likes

In 2004 I bought a Powerbook G4, so I cannot imagine runnning an operating system that needs anti virus in the first place.

No need when the operating system is the virus.

1 Like

So… Eve has finally gone viral marketing :smirk:

Avast Anti Virus mis-detected EVE Launcher.
The problem then occurred that EVE Launcher would not launch.
Deleting the following folder solved the problem.

C:\Users{windows user}\AppData\Local\CCP

Sorry if this is a known solution.

I’ve had the very same issue, but with Kaspersky Internet Security. I have contacted Support and they told me it’s not their problem. In my case, I was in an Abyssal when it happened and lost a 7 bil Gila and I was told to get lost.

If only I saw this yesterday. This happened to me yesterday afternoon and I just got mad, formatted my whole PC and reinstalled EVE because I had no clue what happened. I was actively playing one minute and just watched it get removed from my desktop and launcer infront of my eyes.

Ah well, I got fresh PC out of it at anyway! Good to see it fixed!

In all honesty, this is really not CCP’s problem that some 3rd party software do something to your system that somehow affected your installation of game client.
The fact they are working on a solution is their generosity, not obligation.

when EVE is the only game that triggers your AntiVirus it sure is CCP’s problem.

When EVE is the only game installed on your system, you mean? At the same rate, you could blame Microsoft for that.

No, it is a problem with the detection regime on the AV. False positives are a sign of false software.

The game is using an API, using tools that consume the Microsoft public documented API at some point along the toolchain.

The problem is your warning system shouting fire and crying wolf when it is not necessary.

Everybody knows Avast is spyware, it’s been in the news countless times over it.

If you want to protect yourself, change your behaviour on your system. Learn to isolate and sandbox rather than pass the buck to some spyware company to decide what is and what is not acceptable for your system. You traded your privacy for the appearance of security, the only winner here is Avast. Did they send you a thank you note for your browsing data?

While I’ll agree generally with the above - the false positives thing is not really right.
Basically “False positives are a sign of how sensitive the detection engine has been set” - assuming of course a half decent detection engine and all the other issues.
Malware detection is normally (or at least the good stuff is) able to be adjusted on a scale of “relaxed” to “paranoid” - paranoid giving more false positives than relaxed would. There are a couple of costs to false positives: firstly, each one takes time to investigate and secondly, it starts to be treated as crying wolf.

You tend, professionally, to either set the malware detection to the sensitivity required by the likely threats (when you accept whatever false positive rate you get) or by tuning it over time to an acceptable false positive rate (trading the risk you accept for the convenience).

Given all the possible combinations of malware detection engines, signatures, old installations and weird configurations out there I’m not surprised CCP don’t check their deployments against them. In this case, they’ve done the right thing by flagging the issue to the userbase with a remedial action and raising it for a fix with Avast.

I’ve used Avast in the Past. That’s a rhyme that people should remember! An irritating bit of software from a company that in my experience has some dubious selling and installation habits.

The only people I know that frequently, as part of their development pipeline, test code against multiple malware detection systems are the people that develop the malware in the first place.

They have no obligation to test their product against AV software, nor should they. That is the user’s choice to install that.

Eve does not “depend” upon it.

A “false positive” is a “failure” to be “fit for the purpose”, it is by definition a “false” warning (and in this case, a destructive action of removal and quarantine, the worst kind of failure, a destructive failure).

How the user secures and locks down their system is up to them. That is like me whitelisting javascript on my browser then crying that the site doesn’t work.

If you have a service to manage your machine, take it up with them (and yes, Microsoft is now moving to “managed” Windows and Windows as a service, it is more of a hybrid platform/service OS, and gaming is going the same way far far in the future, so the end of downloading game clients is possible and welcome to the Matrix/Metaverse where you’re hosted/spied on and not installed).

In the future, you will be begging for Linux (or whatever form it is in then).

The Great Centralisation is coming.

In the future there will be two classes of people, the hosted, and the unhosted.

More specifically, false positive by itself is not a problem. It is actually expected with heuristic scanners.
The reaction of your AV software to it, however, is.

thing is, it’s not just AV that did it, my Kaspersky did it as well.

Doesnt change the cause of the problem. False warning by the AV and destructive action by the AV.

So, what? Dr.Web did the same to GameGuard update last month, now what?
This is YOUR responsibility to know, what’s going on in your system, and to take action, when things go south.

Not any more, Mac and Windows now are hybrid platforms. People believe in the “app store” to protect them along with all their platform managed “take over” services built into it along with “cloud” PC.

We won’t be downloading games in the future anyway.

So, blame Microsoft, as I said earlier! :rofl:

well, happened to me, however blocked app is in AV Chest > enter Chest > right click > whitelist globally > problem no more