Resource War Revamp Ideas

Problem:

While I really enjoy the resource war, the sites do not offer enough risk vs reward incentive to run solo let alone in a group. In many corporations, the industry and pve players often play separate. The concept of Miners and PVE combat pilots working together in a site is a great group experience. These sites could be a key factor used to bring these players closer as a corporation. The overall mechanics of the sites themselves are a lot of fun. Giving a bonus for finishing the site as quickly as possible offers incentives to grab a group and find that most effective site fleet setup.

The isk/LP payout is relatively low to other options for time spent in the site. The LP store also doesn’t offer anything to really incentivize pilots either. The jackets while nice are extremely expensive isk wise. The younger players who can easily gain the low LP requirement are unlikely to spend 100 mil for these jackets. The ship packs can be built or bought off the market for a fraction of the isk/LP cost in the store. Unless the ships, skins, or modules are unique there is no reason to buy an indy ship pack. While I like the unique volatile ship skin of the combat ship packs, they are not enough to warrant the grind to gain them either.

Suggestion 1

Racial Mining Frigate variants only available through the Resource War Respective Race LP Stores. This not only gives the LP store some unique items to warrant doing the sites, it also gives newer industry players a tier to spark interest in moving to omega. Pve pilots can move from frigate to destroyer to cruiser to battlecruiser to battleship. Industry pilots are stuck in the venture that they start out with for mining. The faction variant should not be efficient enough to disincentivize the reason to strive for a tech two variant requiring omega time.

Racial mining ships would have a racial bonus to mining/gas harvesting a region-specific ore/gas for their respective race region through their respective racial ship class skill.

Venture

Mining Frigate bonuses (per skill level):

5% bonus to Mining yield

5% reduction in Gas Cloud Harvesting duration

Role Bonus:

100% bonus to Mining and Gas Cloud Harvesting yield

2+ bonus to ship warp core strength

50% reduction in Industrial Cynosural Field Generator liquid ozone consumption

Gallente Mining Frigate

Mining Frigate Bonus (per skill level):

5% Mining yield

Gallente Frigate Bonus (per skill level):

2% Racial Mining Bonus to Omber

2% Racial Gas Cloud Harvesting reduction to Viridian and Celadon

Role Bonus:

Minmatar Mining Frigate

5% Mining yield

Minmatar Frigate Bonus (per skill level):

2% Racial Mining Bonus to Plagioclase

2% Racial Gas Cloud Harvesting reduction to Azure and Vermillion

Role Bonus:

Amarr Mining Frigate

5% Mining yield

Amarr Frigate Bonus (per skill level):

2% Racial Mining Bonus to Kernite

2% Racial Gas Cloud Harvesting to Lime & Malachite

Role Bonus:

Caldari Mining Frigate

5% Mining yield

Caldari Frigate Bonus (per skill level):

2% Racial Mining Bonus to Pyroxeres

2% Racial Gas Cloud Harvesting Bonus to Amber & Golden

Role Bonus:

Suggestion 2

Add Racial industrial light support/combat ships to the Resource War LP Store. These ships are designed for light fleet support/light combat to aid the fleet from incoming enemy npcs. This will encourage indy and pve combat player cooperation. Being meant for fleet support rather than pvp, a need for additional more specialized pvp and fleet support ships would be required to drive back actual players. This would help eliminate the need for larger fleets in these resource war sites. Unless of course the increased danger requires it such as running in low.

Suggestion 3

Add refine-able variants of these unique site ores to the LP store. While probably difficult to implement, it would be interesting to have their cost rise and fall based on the amount sites being regularly ran for the faction. The more sites being regularly run for the faction by capsuleers the lower the cost in the LP store. The less capsuleers run the sites the higher that cost in the LP store will be.

Suggestion 4

As far as I can tell the Resource War sites are not listed on the Agency tab. Having to fly around looking for the sites while they already do not pay well adds to the negative factors of running these sites. Including these sites in the Resource Harvesting section would be a helpful addition.

Suggestion 5

In a way, this is a multi-part suggestion. I noticed there is a counter for every npc killed during the site. As far as I can tell, there is no difference in payout tied to this counter. Currently you would be better off having a fleet of miners that can tank the rats while finishing the site as quickly as possible for the minimum time bonus. That takes away from the necessity of miner / pve combat cooperation. Increasing the difficulty while adding an incentive for killing these npcs might help with this issue.

I enjoy the objective of not only protecting your fellow players but also the npc allies during the site. While I have only ran the lower level sites, the allied Orca for example in the limited version never seems to be in any real danger. Losing the Orca should fail the mission. Adding a counter for every allied npc ship destroyed while providing bonuses payout for not losing allied npc ships in the site could be a fun addition.

Suggestion 6

Currently, the sites appear to only grant the player corp standings increases upon completion. If the player is completing these for the benefit of the faction, there should really be some standing boost to the faction not just the corporation. Since there are no stations for the Federal Strategic Material, the standing really provides no purpose other than allowing you to eventually run the higher-level sites. Providing faction standing might also encourage more players to run these sites to repair or boost negative faction standings.

Requiring corp standing from all the members in the fleet is another issue. It is very hard to find corp mates who are willing to gain the standing to be able to join you for these sites. If there is a way to allow the whole fleet into the site as long as the leader has the required standing, it would really help with this issue. For example, many pilots with access to level 4 security missions fleet up with newer players. This allows the new player a quicker path to level 4 access themselves.

7 Likes

like the idea but would suggest increasing the ore line such as new cruiser class then T2 variants with ore ice and gas mining hopefully a gas one that can use the full skill of the gas harvester skill.

Literally all resource wars needs is decent rewards, most of the ‘rewards’ are actually negative income.

The race variant ventures is really nice. Won’t happen though as CCP don’t want alphas to be producers.

As for resource wars, it was a good initial idea, crap implementation as far as I can see.

First off, nice write-up. I can see that you’ve given this a lot of thought, and you have some good stuff in there. Unfortunately, the crappy rewards of resource wars may be intentional. I know CCP has intentionally limited alpha skills in order to limit their capacity to earn, so it’s possible that they also limited the rewards of resource wars for the same reason. Of course, I can’t even begin to fathom why they’d make the rewards so terrible, especially when there are plenty of better income sources for alphas.

1 Like

I have tried resource wars some time ago and it was fun activity involving multiple players, good thing even newbros could get involved. Thee sad part was it was very low on reward side. This thing needs more incentive for players to do.
This activity could also help keep newbros to stay ingame while exploring the game further.

1 Like

I was quite interested when the first were introduced but instantly lost interest as soon as I realised they were a standings grind and the payouts were poor.

As I said further up the idea of the racial ventures in quite good but I can’t see CCP introducing yet more hulls. On rethinking maybe a better idea would to introduce racial mining/gas upgrade modules similar to the Frostline Ore/Ice upgrade, so the unique items you can aquire would be either directly purchasable or you get BPCs as drops.

So to get all the racial mining/gas upgrades you would have to do RW missions for each faction. If that was active I’d drop everything and do them right now! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As soon as I saw racial bonus to Omber I stopped.

Pointless and not even well thought out.

It’s true that Omber has been “minimum wage” for a miner for as long as I’ve been playing. But after the redistribution who can say? But anyway even if the idea is not thoughly thought through I think it has some promise.

1 Like

CCP removed racial miners. They serve no purpose. All they achieve is making people swap between 4 hulls. We already have mining crystals.

Like I said above, literally all they need to do is fix the rewards. Ok and relist the sites in the agency

ok well as I also said, racial mining upgrades would be better. Would keep only one hull and using an upgrade has a fitting consequence.

If you mean faction mining modules or crystals that just give better bonuses then sure.
If you mean modules that only give a bonus to certain ores then no, because again, you just make peopke have to have 4 modules and swap them.

So? I’d be happy swapping them out if necessary. To be clear, this is only intended for Ventures and alpha miners/huffers. If ur omega then you go down the modulated strip route or Endurance & deep core, plenty of options.

A common complaint from alpha miners is there is no upgrade path from a venture and I well understand why this is from CCPs point of view. My point is that doing RW and getting these upgrades gives them standing, LP and a moderate upgrade to their venture.

I can’t see why ur so dead against this unless you are just a habitual grumpypants.

2 Likes

I like the line of thinking, although specific ships etc. I think are unlikely to be implemented by CCP.

Resource Wars has so much potential to be re-purposed to do so many things for EVE, it’s insane that they aren’t making better use of it.

As it is, it’s decent PvE/mining training for lower end players. Except the rewards are so laughable they’ve no real reason to do it.

It could easily become a type of instanced, easily accesible, limited engagement PvP-with-goals setting, even for high sec. (RW sites could be Concord free) They could even leave the PvE version as Resource Contests and then re-purpose Resource ‘Wars’ as a PvP feature.

Again, the ridiculous LP store prevents it ever getting much attention. As the super-easiest way to fix that, they could limit mining even a bit more than they’re currently working towards (with the recent changes), and then have the LP store sell minerals of various types.

The primary thing would be to ensure the various RW(RC) mechanics aren’t really bottable, then tune the LP payouts so a reasonable but not killer amount of mineral could be obtained.

A venture is already more than 50% of a barge if i remember the charts.
Alphas very specifically are not meant to be bringing in more than that level of ore.
Also if it works for alphas it works for Omegas.
And the point around swapping out modules or ships is that it’s just increasing yield, with a tiny make work thing that doesn’t actually provide any real limit.

Salt, I know many people hate on Omber. Adding the unique gas/ore bonus, I felt would make the ships unique and in turn entice pilots to collect them all. Just because you do not mine Omber personally does not mean that nobody mines Omber. When I was a new player, I mined all ores within the belt and sold them to market for isk. My focus here was for new players anyways, not experienced players only interested in min maxing for profits.

Nevyn, I wouldn’t say they serve no purpose. Just because it serves no purpose to you does not mean that it serves no purpose in general. There are many ships I fly that are not the best for the job. I just like them and make them work if possible. No one would be forcing you to fly the other ships. You can stick with a standard venture. Other players would probably not mind switching ships. Resource War exclusive mining frigates would give industry pilots something unique to get from the LP store. You’re mining for the faction why would the faction not have their own specialized mining frigates or equipment.

Racial Frigates would provide new industrial pilots with other ships to fly besides the starting venture frigate. I’m sure there are many new pilots out there who are disappointed that there are no other options without progressing to omega. As I said before, if you are a pve type player there are plenty of choices to try out which entices you to subscribe for a T2 variant ship. I for example wanted a Sleipnir after flying the Hurricane and Faction Hurricane.

Having the frigates split by race requiring the racial frigate skill may also encourage the new pilots to branch out to collect all 4 of racial frigs and in turn try other ships in the other factions. Many people start as one faction realizing they really enjoy another faction better.

Yberta, I agree racial mining modules would be a great addition as well. Anything to make this LP store unique and add more options for industry players is a plus in my opinion. Since the sites are intended to have both indy and pve, there should be good incentives for both parties.

Neither did I.
Instead it forces you to fly 4 racial frigates instead of one venture to optimise your yield.
That is make work difficulty and serves to increase alpha yield when it isn’t intended for alphas to be producers.
Even more so if you go for modules since that also increases omega yield.

As for mining omber. I mean if you love shooting yourself in the foot. Mining Omber is equivilant to mining with only one laser on a barge.

You used a double negative!!! You MONSTER!!!

This is a very nice write up, very well thought out, and a great idea. Plus one from me.

Besides, adding more and fanciful faction ships for me to shoot at when those newbies bring them into J-Space is ALWAYS a great idea.

1 Like

Thanks for the support Cha’ka got it edited!

Plus one internet for you just for that line. :smiley:

2 Likes