I returned after nearly 10 years. Last time I played was 2013. I played so much in the 2000-2013 years that to continue playing with my ships/ skill training I am going to need to pay to play because of the pay wall of omega.
I suspect that I will be playing for a few more weeks then leave. I have skills that next needed a paid subscription and ships that never were locked.
From your post it appears you complain about the ‘pay wall of Omega’ and that skills and ships you used never were locked behind a subscription.
Now I didn’t play in 2013, but I do know that the free Alpha game mode was only added in 2016 so unless you were playing a time-limited trial in 2013 you always had those skills locked behind a subscription.
I guess you just forgot that you paid a subscription as well in the past and expected to have that for free now?
Unreasonable expectations have a habit of letting you down.
Though I too, do not understand Op’s consternation. Please remember, that back in the time when she did last play and pay, the Sub price was $14.95 USD. Also keep in mind that Most major MMO monthly subscriptions currently cost around $15:00 USD
It’s not a ‘‘LOT’’ more. +5 eur/usd. And only if you pay monthly. It has been pointed out multiple times by different players, on multiple threads just like this one, that if you pay 6 or 12 months at a time, your sub fee is less than 15 eur/usd per month!
If one can’t afford it, then be so excellent at the game as to PLEX your account. CCP is one of the few game companies that will actually let players play for free!
The bread and milk were also cheaper in 2003-2013, by the way. Cost of living has gone up across the board in the Western world. You can’t expect CCP to charge the same fee they did 20 years ago.
Multiboxing is also a hell of a lot more common in EVE than it is in other MMOs, and unlike those, most of our multiboxers aren’t using bots.
CCP should be earning pretty good income on EVE, particularly as the one second server ticks are an extremely outdated server design no other major MMO uses. I don’t know what the actual server-side code looks like, but even with the more complex math that goes into EVE’s damage mechanics (like tracking, which uses no less than 9 FLOPs per attack, and a divide chain that would put the total calculation at about 35 cycles) as compared to the more simple “a(b)+c” a WoW-clone would use, it should be relatively lightweight to run.
OP’s problem is now that eve has a f2p model, they think they shouldn’t have to pay to play like they did back in 2013, and use all their ships like before.
Alpha players do face some limitations but really not that bad. Alpha players with experience and the courage to try can rotflstomp a lot of players that are spending money to play. Some players spend a trunk load of money for this game.
Paying to plex can be a tedius grind but it is not impossible and it doesnt have to be a second job. This current event and similar events help along the way for omega if you use it right.
Maybe you can prove one can PLEX his account running courier missions, it may take what? 6 months give or take… Autopilot and only risk is triglavians, CCP most recently failure.
Don’t explore, it’s garbage, between bots and noobs the sites in HS are garbage mostly. I did 38 jumps to vendor my amarr stuff and only drone sites give some money, I ended up with 30mil quid.
I don’t see alpha running L3 decently, some key skills are locked, don’t fall for this trap.
Another way I see, is ratting in null with some drone boat or getting into a mining corp.
Again, I don’t see you PLEXing before 3 months, maybe you can extract some skills (oh man, I so want my char back now, fuk).
I half agree and disagree with both of you, because - which i’m sure you know - if you combine the rebates given by CCP in the best way possible then you can play for around 6-7$ a month. Provided you can do the needed investment.
Just mentioned for completeness as it meets not everyones expectations and possibilities, but is a fact.
If we look at the most well known and market leader of MMOS, World of Warcraft, they indeed only charge $15 a month. But WoW also charges $50 for the game itself on top of a subscription. And you have to buy expansions too which happen about once every two years I think? This adds about $2 a month on average if you were to play every month, or relatively a lot more if you only play for a couple of months every expansion. In the table below I’ll assume the lowest cost of $2.
And while WoW goes from $15 a month to $14 to three months or $13 for a year, EVE goes from $20 a month to $16 for three months or also $12 for a year, and EVE also has an option to pay for 2 years for $11. In a table:
Months
Monthly price WoW
Monthly price WoW (with expansion cost)
Monthly price EVE
1
$15
$17
$20
3
$14
$16
$16
6
$13
$15
$14
12
$13
$15
$12
24
-
-
$11
All except for the single month of EVE are on par with WoW, or cheaper.
This is also why I would recommend anyone trying EVE (or WoW) to get more than a single month at once for much better value and a longer time to try the game.
If you thought $20 for trying a single month of EVE was expensive: if were to try WoW to end game and quit after in only one or a few months, this $2 a month for that expansion that I smeared over 2 years is in fact $50 up front, so even with EVE’s high single month cost of $20, the cost of the first few months of WoW is significantly higher than that of EVE.
TL;DR: people forget expansion costs when making subscription comparisons.