Returned, and Let Down

This was one of the things that facilitated my getting into EVE way back in 2009. I’m not a gamer, have not played anything other than EVE. But I knew that for other games (e.g. WoW) you had to pay for expansions. Back in 2009 this was an argument that was thrown around a lot as an advantage of EVE over other MMO games. I’m surprised not to hear it at all anymore now. Outside liking the game itself I liked that it had no other cost besides the monthly subscription fee, I probably wouldn’t be here if that was not the case.

2 Likes

You are talking twaddle again…..I get my EVE 3 monthly subscription for the equivalent of just $16.50 a month.

If CCP decides to charge for the xpacs, lots of people would stop playing after serious scrutiny. They nerf stuff just because they want to see it pop. It’s not like other games that charge for real new features.

If you play wow, you can play the new class asap, you don’t need 6 month training plan. You comparison was incorrect.

I have no idea what this means. ‘‘Xpacs’’? ‘‘New class’’? ‘‘6 month training plan’’? You’re talking about some specifics pertaining to WoW with a person who has never played WoW. I never made any of those comparisons, I was talking about monthly sub fee. That was it. EVE has no ‘‘6 month training plan’’ either, by the way, whatever that is.

And WoW is nothing like EVE. You can’t suggest that as a substitute game for somebody who likes EVE. Completely different game universes and genres. So, if a player is unhappy with EVE sub cost, it’s not adequate to direct them to play WoW.

2 Likes

I was going to put context on my post, but you were too fast.

A good comparison is Turtle WoW. If you check TWoW you going to understand, they are the same model as CCP. What they do is to “eternally” deliver content patches.

Expansion is a concept some companies created to sell game keys, to do that you really need to deliver the “good stuff”, content patch is not enough.

I’m not advocating in favor of expansions, just making the distinction clear. For example, one problem of turtle wow is the game client is crap, while the 3rd expansion wow client is already superior in many ways.

There is a gray line, some times players don’t agree and complain the expansion is too thin.

All in all, CCP delivers content patches compared to industry standards, their content don’t even survive for long, which would create a lot of harassment for people that bought it.

Another thing is, once you buy one expansion and not the newest one, you don’t lose that content, keep that in mind. Unless the company gives you the new content for free, if they really need to remove something you OWN. They like to say you don’t own anything, but you bought a game key to a game version, it’s not that simple.

Cheers.

Lucky for us that powercreep is not a “feature” that many other games employ for every expansion.

You dont own anything but the permission to get on the server. You dont own any assets of it at all.

Theyre right when they say “ you dont own any of this.”

Its always been that way.

5 Likes

Last time I checked, but $16.50 is still more than $15.00 and you have to expend 3 months of commitment.

Totally agree with you Except on one aspect, which i alluded to in my previous reply. The fact of Commitment. Sure you can get a year’s sub for over a $100 dollars, and it will come to like $12 a month. Only that you now have a game for a Year, and there is no telling what the Future will hold. For the game, for your house and internet, for yourself. And if you are just coming back or a newish player, a year or more sub price is Hella steep.

Hell a 3 month sup price is hella steep,

2 Likes

I agree, there are a lot of things that can happen within a year or two. I like the sentiment of “strike while the iron is hot!”

If I can afford subscription now, but perhaps something odd happens and I am not later I will still have my wealth in eve to console me! Everyone is in a different spot in life and there is nothing wrong with that. But what if you can afford subscription now but might have to go 3 or 4 months of not being able to? You would still be training skills!

1 Like

I am alpha and I have no issue with the “omega paywall” as you call it. This game wasn’t free to play during the years you cited. All MMOs have some monetary requirements, I don’t buy omega or plex omega, because I don’t need it. Plexing your account seems simple enough. I barely play here and still make 1 or 2 billion ISK per month.

I think the ratio is 1 plex for 5 million? Since you need 500 for 1 month omega, you will need 2.5 billion ISK. Sounds like a lot? 2.5 B over 30 days is 83,300,00 ISK per day. If you toss all 3 characters into the same dummy corp ( as I did ), then each character needs to cough up 28 million a day.

I was just reading about some player making more than that with Planetary Industry ( an omega skill ) but I just gas and kernite mine to get that much. Most gas starts at 50,000 to 75,000, but we will lowball this; 50,000 x 560 units is 28 million ISK. Most gas clouds are 2000 units. That is more than enough to get your ISK and buy the plex for your omega. Kernite isn’t as good as gas but when I can’t find gas, I just mine the kernite, or sometimes I do the abyssal dungeons.

My point is, you can do this or just play for free as I and many others do. There is a good selection of ships at your disposal. Put in the effort or pay the man, it is up to you.

Have fun!

1 Like

Oh dear :slight_smile: I believe you took what I said and went in a different direction than what i intended. No worries, allow me to explain. I’m not saying the amount could break you. Though that may be the case for some, What I had meant, was we have no idea what could happen to us in a year, Heck we don’t know what will happen to us tomorrow. IE you could pay for a year’s subscription and all of a sudden your rig in which you run Eve online catches fire(because of a tidi fight, and you didn’t put it on potato mode. :smiley: ) and now you cannot get another for 3 months.

Not everyone wants to put that much commitment into a game in order to get the “great price” cause really! Is it such a great price when you factor the commitment into it.

2 Likes

In this case you can ask CCP for a refund, as long as it’s not abused they tend to be understanding.

1 Like

now that, I did not know of. If this is true. Then that really eases up the commitment aspect.

You’ve spent more than the difference on electricity typing your nonsense. Seriously, I think some just want to whine because they have nothing better to do.

1 Like

It’s not the card you can repeatedly play, though. If your computer starts catching fire every other month, I doubt CCP will keep refunding your game time. You still need to figure yourself out in the long term whether you want to play this game or not.

I understand, sometimes the Truth hurts. But can we get back to speculating Op’s consternation?

1 Like

I’m the best!

3 Likes

OP’s consternation that they have to pay for features now that they had to pay for as well in the past?

I think that topic got solved.

I realize a year of subscription is indeed a commitment for new players.

For someone like myself who has been playing for years it is not; I know I’ll likely be playing for years more which makes a year of subscription a good choice.

And if I don’t, because unforeseen things (like another game grabbing my attention), I haven’t lost much. Price per month of EVE is pretty cheap at those packs, so it’s an affordable way to keep the subscription going for when I inevitably come back.

But if you’re new 3 months isn’t that steep. I mean, if one month is 20 and three is 48, I’d pick 3 every time to try a new game I seem to like. I know of myself I’ll likely stick around for at least that time, so it’s much cheaper than a single month.

But others might be different and prefer to spend one month in the game before deciding to go elsewhere.

Either way, if you think there is a significant chance you will buy another month after the first month, I would recommend to skip the smallest pack.

YES.

The only reason I didn’t take 6 or 12 months is because I dunno my future situation, maybe I can lose access to my CPU, otherwise EVE is not for short term goals. Getting expectations wrong is a major problem, it seems to be what happened to the op. He had some nostalgia about the game and it blew in his face when he came back.

For me i know very well after being in the game since the beta, that i won’t stop playing it unless it shuts down on itself. For me it is just the one unique thing in the genre that no one has matched until now and where i am too deep invested to just let go.

And i find it quite the opposite to your statement: The more commitment you bring into at least this game, the cheaper it gets.

I use all the rebate chains technically possible and i am subscribed until mid of 2030 for just 6$ a month. So in your scenario if i could not play for 3 months, that would sum up to 18$ where i could not play.

So not much lost and in EVE it is not lost anyway since not being able to play means not so much since there are many passive mechanics going on aside from being online. Not only go your skillpoints up, but you can have active market orders in that time, research and copy jobs, contracts, PI jobs, build jobs and whatnot.

3 Likes