Risk Aversion

You called?

1 Like

I think that being afraid of something in a video game makes you a rather weird.

1 Like

That would be the common sense conclusion. And yet, strange as it seems, fear in games is the norm rather than the outlier.

I suppose there is a good explanation for it. I mean, people get afraid on roller coasters, watching movies, looking over balconies, etc. So why not games?

Mr Epeen :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Nobody is afraid of anything in a video game. People are trying to win the game, which is the point of the whole thing. And you donā€™t win anything or make progress by losing everything you have.

A guy playing in a chess match doesnā€™t want to lose all his pieces. That doesnā€™t mean he fears anything, heā€™s just trying to win (otherwise, why bother playing?). Same with Eve.

Yeah, no, but hey ā€¦ keep staying delusional. It is not rational behaviour, it is behaviour that is being rationalized. You have no clue, but hey ā€¦ as most others do not have any either, you can get away with it.

So keep on talking, apparently it makes you feel better about yourselves.

1 Like

LOL. Iā€™ll let the other readers decide who is being delusional, who is trying to feel better about himself, etc.

Quite simply, you are making no sense.

I guess that a lot of people are being raised in a way that does not actually help them forward in their lives. vOv

From the perspective of a clueless person, your statement of course is correct. Still, I am not the one who pretends that there is a rational decision involved in this, while it is being the other way around. You not having a shred of a clue about this does not change anything about it.

So ā€¦ well ā€¦ in the end, I guess itā€™s: Who cares. You die either way. vOv

You have to lol at the irony about this discussion about fear and rationality. Solstice your arguments cement you close to the psychopathy scale than those who cannot understand or who arent ā€œrationalā€ in your opinion here.

The inability to associate feelings is a core portion of psychopathy. And no Im not saying this is a bad thing. Highly functional psychopaths are in many daily positions of power as CEOs, surgeons, etc and are not at all violent or criminal.

Just an interesting turn to the thread imo.:thinking:

How does one risk what does not truly exist and is not their own property? Technically CCP is holding all the cards and we are merely the puppets they use in their economic simulator.

Take monopoly, at the end of the game you return all the pieces, the cards, properties etc. Yet the emotions involved during the game are quite real even though the game pieces arent ā€œyoursā€ so to speak.

2 Likes

So is getting the shakes when you go pick a fight in a video game, but thatā€™s a well-documented phenomenon here.

True, but did I ever truly ā€˜riskā€™ anything? Was it all a ruse? I suppose at the end of the day the only real loss would be any damage we suffered to our egos.

I am not sure it is that weird in comparison, but I get your point. Risk averse people, aka cowards, do not actually do that, though. They are just cowards by default.

Sure, of course, some might just be too poor to handle the losses and are not willing to work themselves up again ā€¦ and I totally get that ā€¦ but they usually are not who are being talked about when ā€œrisk aversionā€ is being thrown around.

The biggest mistake OP makes is throwing them all into the bucket of ā€œthey are making a rational decisionā€, while the forum is full of evidence that a huge amount of them absolutely do not.

vOv

1 Like

Thereā€™s ā€œhave a good fightā€ and then thereā€™s ā€œget the ā– ā– ā– ā–  out so we can go back about our business, try again in an hourā€ :parrotmustache:

1 Like

Does love exist? Is it your property? Can you risk losing it by your actions? Maybe things are more complicated than you realize. Sure, ā€œmy assetsā€ are not literally mine and even if they were they are just 0s and 1s. But then againā€¦so is most of your money, IRL. It isnā€™t sitting in a vault somewhere it typically exists in digital form.

No I donā€™t think this is correct. We are not their puppets. For one thing each and everyone of us can walk away tomorrow and kill CCP if they get too idiotic with their game. Second, what we do they tend to take very little interest in. Shockingly CCP does an okay job in that they usually let things self-regulate. Sometimes they try to shake things up and that in turn causes more problems, but they certainly are not micro-managing the game. If they did theyā€™d kill it in short order.

IDK, did you? Did you play as a risk seeker vs. a risk averse player? Maybe when you land on an advantageous property next time you play monopoly maybe you should not but it. Maybe when a player lands on your properties you should roll the dice to see if you should charge him or not. What does it cost you to play in this fashion and give the other players a greater chance of winning?

Rational in what sense? Rational given one information setā€¦but irrational given another information set? That is where I think alot of the rage over a freighter gank comes from. Misplaced anger over having done something stupid without realizing it. I put 8 billion ISK In my charon, which was anti-tanked and jumped blindly into Niarja and the CODE./Miiniluv/whomever bumper was there waiting for me. Seemed like a good idea because I did not understand ganking. After the gank I probably still donā€™t understand, so I rage post about it. And even though people patiently explain it to meā€¦Iā€™m still raging. Because admitting an error is hard for people to do. Really hard. After all, that player has to admit that his years of effort went up in explosions or into other peopleā€™s wallets because he was ignorant.

1 Like

Iā€™m not convinced you have the reading comprehension ability to understand what I wrote. You keep spouting nonsense. But either way - no, I didnā€™t make the claim that a bunch of irrational people are rational.

No he does. This kind of tactic will not workā€¦

Well either heā€™s not using it, or I myself lack the reading comprehension to understand what he wrote.

If we are getting this philosophical: Everyone is just a bunch of atoms and we all die anyway so nobody really exists, you canā€™t risk anything even in real life, you have nothing, own nothing, you are just a temporary constellation of atoms that also constantly get replaced by other atoms, basically there is no ā€œyouā€ so to speak, only the ā€œwholeā€ that constantly has its parts replaced, thus you donā€™t even exist. In the end based on that logic nobody has anything, nobody owns anything, nobody even exists to begin with, thus nobody can risk anything even IRL. :thinking:

2 Likes