Roleplaying?

I’ve poked around in game a little bit and was unable to find a satisfactory answer.

Is there any kind of sizable Role-playing community in the game?

1 Like

You’re an immortal capsuleer - the whole game is one big RP…

2 Likes

come to jita - there are plenty of players role-playing scammers in the local chat there. There are players role-playing miners in the asteroid betls and players role-playing space pirates in low-security space.

Edit: I have heard that in the old glorious days of EvE there were even players role-playing courtesans, providing their “service” via voice/video chat for ISK.

Eve is a sandbox game and each and every your action will have an effect on your future interactions. But if you are looking to cringy “role-play” like the one in Arma3:life mod and similar… things, then EvE is not a place for that.

I’d say CODE is kinda roleplaying, too.

1 Like

So are RvB and Providence bloc.

Fleet Com

I saw the same question asked around 5 years ago, and at that time the answer was something like:
“Yes there is a smallish but active role-playing community” and some contact information was provided. It might still be there, but perhaps less obvious these days.

I’d suggest you keep looking for a while, but perhaps expand your search to include:
https://forums.eveonline.com/c/pvp-gameplay-center
https://forums.eveonline.com/c/pve-gameplay-center
https://forums.eveonline.com/c/communications/general

Note that none of them are perfect for your purposes, and the first two link to short lists of forums.
OTOH you only need one “hit” to make the search worthwhile.

BTW “Roleplay Scamming” and CODE are acquired tastes for anyone, including a role-player.
Both are on my personal list of “bad things about EVE”.

1 Like

Just playing the game isn’t Roleplaying, and you know exactly what I was asking. Are you Roleplaying as your character typing on the forums right now? Not entirely sure what ARMA has to do with my question?

1 Like
2 Likes

I had no idea there was such a negative view of Roleplaying, in an MMO. I am honestly surprised.

1 Like

What is CODE?

1 Like

Don’t confuse forum trolls with real people.

3 Likes

So nice of them to troll the New Citizens Q&A.

1 Like

thats exactly what it is. Going out of your way to create a different and often exaggerated “persona” for your character is an unneeded fluff imo. You just play EvE in however way you want and that will be roleplaying the way it was intended.

(Link now correct)

Note: It sounds ok of course, but they have a history of applying their extortion system to rookies via the “Rookie Help” channel, hence my reference to them earlier.

1 Like

Didn’t you go out of your way to create an unneeded, exaggerated persona so you could play the game with your character? Why all the fluff if you don’t believe in it?

1 Like

Ah, there is an Ally in Nullsec that keeps to the lore: Curatores Veritatis Alliance
I’m not sure how much they stick to the lore, but it may be worth a chat.

1 Like

Thanks for linking this!

I agree with the above posters that EVE is a game that is very conducive to roleplaying in the sense that you will kind of have to struggle not to, given how much of what happens in the game can be directly interpretable as what a character in that game world would be doing all day long (something that is not the case in many fantasy mmogs).

That said, there is more for those of us who want to emphasize that part of the game and “the RP community” (more like a group of interacting communities) is currently going through some kind of a revival. The linked post also has ways to find other roleplayers.

1 Like

https://forums.eveonline.com/c/fiction-portal/igs

2 Likes

There are some who role play, but the game does not make role playing easy. I’d like to be able to manually fly my ships, but even setting WASD to pitch and yaw does not give the correct feel since there is no roll control. Further, to get a better feel for manual control, the view point should be able to be locked along the flight path slightly above the cockpit, but I should be able to turn my “head” (sensor array) under with say a right mouse click, but upon releasing the right mouse button the view point would return to the flight path vector.

That is just one example of many of how the interface fights players who want to roll play.

1 Like

We are the “captains” of the ships not really just the pilots. I for one don’t like the whole “they’re spaceships, but they dogfight like WW2 fighters” thing anyway.

I am of the mind that everyone playing this game is roleplaying whether they like to admit it or not.

1 Like