Rolling a C1 in a HIC

Looking for advice specifically on an Onyx fit to do the final pass(es) to close a C1 wormhole connection. Before the “leet” wormholers rush in just to trash C1 systems, yes, we’ve read it all before. Not really the advice requested here, but thanks anyway, I guess.

From what I understand, all connections to/from a C1 system are medium size with a mass limitation of 62,000 tons. It is quite easy to get close to this limit with a variety of ships (e.g. Sigil, Gnosis, etc.), which is how I would burn off the majority of the total mass on the hole before it goes crit.

For the final pass(es), however, I want to use a HIC with 4 x ZPMEs to exit, reducing the chances of getting trapped on the other side, while maximizing my ship’s mass on the return to collapse the hole on entry (ideally in just one pass).

The Onyx has a base of 15.4K tons. When a 100MN AB or 500MN MWD is turned on, they add 50.0K tons of mass, which immediately and annoyingly exceeds the pass limitation (65.4K tons total vs. the 62.0K limit). Even for the lightest HIC (the Phobos), these props cause the mass limitation to be exceeded (64.0K). Thus, this sadly seems like a deliberate design decision by CCP.

When I reduce the size of the prop mod to a 10 MN AB or 50MN MWD, we only add 5K tons, which makes the total mass a measly 20.4K tons for the Onyx. I can add 1 x Higgs anchor (cannot add more than one) to double the mass, which brings me to 40.8K tons.

The only thing I can think to do at this point to increase mass any further is add armor plates. A set of 4 x 800mm plates in the lows would push the total mass up to 50.08K tons. I could possibly use some 1600mm plates to get it closer to the limit, but the fit starts looking really ugly really fast due to power grid requirements.

Is there something you guys are doing differently with your HIC or do you just settle for 40K ton passes and do more than one pass as necessary?

As someone who has rolled many C1s due to the line of work I am in you are overthinking this.

Use a t1 crusier (Moa)

Get a 100mn afterburner + cloak/probes

I’ll have to log in but that brings you to 62,000 tons (the max for C1 WHs) or was it 60,000 but either way it’s close. This is a case where your fancy ships don’t work. Sometimes simple is best.

You need alts to roll a C1 fast. No way around it.

(Holds back laughter)

Yes it is actually. BEFORE IT WAS LIKE 40K so don’t remind CCP.

OP I pass down this knowledge to you. Gl o7

I’m using alts with T1s to crit the hole. I’m only asking about the final pass or two with a HIC, after the hole is already crit.

1 Like

The final pass should be done with 1 alt. Usually with AB on if it’s already crit and you are flying back to your home WH. Takes some discipline and remember when it’s crit there is less than 10% total mass left. That is just enough for 1 passthrough with AB on.

Assuming you are on your home WH side and notice your WH is critical. Meaning you would go through it (AB off) to not close it and come back (AB on) to close it on your side.

N110s are a pain to roll :sweat_smile: Alot of those WHs have 1mil mass cap.